New Docking Config Option

Reaction score
    Current config, as I understand it, lets you either universally ignore docking boxes, or always obey them.

I suggest a third option to add to the existing ones: the box is relevant, but only for turrets. Because turrets are ships, mechanically, this would be accomplished by disabling weapons on any docked ship that doesn't fit in its docking box. This would allow people to easily make carriers or stations that can simply accomodate any ship that physically fits while still providing the intended limitations on turrets.

Reaction score
    The option also allows you to dock ships that physically DONT fit. They clip inside of each-other causing massive lag.

Reactions: WaffulMann

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The option also allows you to dock ships that physically DONT fit. They clip inside of each-other causing massive lag.
    The game just needs to run a collision check before actually putting the ship on the dock. For example:
    I try to dock my ship. The game would briefly copy my collider into the position the ship would occupy and see if it hits anything. If the ghost collider is clear, I dock. If the ghost collider clips, I receive the message "Cannot dock here due to obstructions."

TBH, we do not need the boxes at all.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Schema has said that the docking system will be reworked in the (possibly near) future. The current system is there to stop you docking a 1km ship to a station. That config setting is only there for the people who only build rather than playing the game.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Haha. I totally does not keep you from docking a 1km ship on a station. You just need enough docking enhancer blocks.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Haha. I totally does not keep you from docking a 1km ship on a station. You just need enough docking enhancer blocks.
    Yes, which can be hard to get and you will need alot to accomodate for lenght width and height. It is a balancing mechanic.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you dock a 1000 mass thing to a 100 mass, the system should handle it as if the 100 mass was docked to the 1000 mass thing.

The 1000 mass thing could dock to a 100 mass to make the 100 mass dock to the 1000 mass. Confused or enlightened?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    If you dock a 1000 mass thing to a 100 mass, the system should handle it as if the 100 mass was docked to the 1000 mass thing.

The 1000 mass thing could dock to a 100 mass to make the 100 mass dock to the 1000 mass. Confused or enlightened?
    Enlightened. And the docking blocks get transferred to the 1000 mass or...?