Implemented New Cargo System!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    how would you get the credits for a station though without a decent mining ship?

If this type of mechanic was implemented for hauling cargo, then perhaps the traders guild would pay to have the player ship cargo.

So not all of our income could be from mining, it could be for shipping and other stuff to.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Except it won't give the mass change.

Also not to mention the weird effect of having a cargo bay that looks full when you don't have any cargo.
    Huh? Why wouldn't they give a mass change? Of course they could be made to change mass according to how much content they have. And if it's empty, it would use a transparent empty texture that changes at set percentages of being filled.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    And of course, you agree that they need to be master-slaved to some sort of controller, because otherwise the containers on the inside of blocks will be unusable. So we've essentially came to the same idea.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    All I suggested was getting rid of a grid system like the one docking used and simply base it on physically placed blocks. Of course it is the same idea, only implemented slightly different. (And more convenient, IMO)

Reaction score
    All I suggested was getting rid of a grid system like the one docking used and simply base it on physically placed blocks. Of course it is the same idea, only implemented slightly different. (And more convenient, IMO)
    Agree with the connivance, but I also like big ol' blocks of cargo. Perhaps a grouping bonus similar to capacitors to promote big crates?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps a grouping bonus similar to capacitors to promote big crates
    Interesting, but ultimately I personally think that's effectively punishing players for splitting up stacks (for whatever reason they want, whether is be balancing the center of mass or just RP or looks.)

Reaction score
    Interesting, but ultimately I personally think that's effectively punishing players for splitting up stacks (for whatever reason they want, whether is be balancing the center of mass or just RP or looks.)
    I admit it's a little punishing, but how much really depends on the grouping bonus. I think only a small one is needed, so those that don't aren't that punished, but those that do still get a meaningful amount of bonus

Reaction score
    I think it might be easier to just do something similar by capping plexstorage space, then being able to connect stores or add some sort of "storage enhancer" to increase the space in each one, rather than having assigned cubic areas to put stacks of blocks in.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Can we get this as tagged as implemented?

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    It's a cool idea, but with PlexStorage blocks, I don't really see a cargo system having any practical use other than an aesthetic one. Maybe of there were limitations to the number of blocks a person or a storage block can hold, on every slot It might have some sense to stack them outside a Plexstorage when space runs out.

What I'd like to be implemented however, is a ship-wide conveyor system that transports items from one storage block to another via interconnected tubes or belts, and a tram system for faster navigation on large ships.
    One good use is to use cargo to create constraint in your factories. Cargo limits prevent the factories from running all night and leaving you with no CC and a Gazillion thrusters.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450684178,1450684120][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Alright, so while this may be my first forum thread, this will not be the first time I've navigated the forums. Forgive me if any of the images/concepts are a little hard to follow.

Before the Q&A last night, I was feeling that it would be pretty fresh to get a new way to store the materials we get from the planets and asteroids all you miners (and soon to be farmers!) get on your adventures. Hopefully a system that would involve a physical representation of your cargo, to not only allow a purpose for the large freighters and cargo ships I see flying around, but also throw in some cool meta that wasn't in the game beforehand.

Imagine, in the not-too-distant future, that we would have our NPCs walking around in a large cargo bay, checklists and spreadsheets in hand, checking that all of the cargo is in the right places. Each pallet its own resource, and neatly organized to allow anyone to the amount of resources at any given time.

The idea, put into a feasible game mechanic, would involve repurposing the current docking modules and enhancer effects. Rather than having a green box, this new Cargo Module would have a yellow designation box. Similar to the Plex-Storage, you would be able to open same window and drag the items into the Cargo Module. As a new way to stack items, this would go hand and hand with the new stack limiting mechanic that will take place in the future. For sake of example, we could use stacks of 1000 to represent the single crate block that is found in the Cargo Module.

Enhancers can be used just as in docking - to increase the dimensions of the cargo areas.

Congrats man, cargo is awesome.