New Bobby AI setting: Target selected ENEMY

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The one drawback to target selected is if you have turrets set to this you can no longer target things like shops or friendly ships to navigate towards :oops:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    other ideas.
    • target friendly with lowest shield capacity percentage
    • target friendly with lowest power capacity percentage
    • prioritise enemy ship with no shields or least over more shielded
    • prioritise enemy ship the most shield
    • prioritise closest ship

• follow ally player ship
    • defend sector
    etc.

Reaction score
    I've been going over threads pertaining to Bobby AI, and I can't seem to find anyone mentioning or trying to implement a targeting priority logic system, if it's even possible.

If anyone is familiar with the X3 game developed by Egosoft, any ships with turrets had an awesome function of being given a set of targets and a priority in which to choose them.

My flak groups targeted Missiles>Fighters>Corvettes>Defense, whilst my heavier turrets were set up to attack Destroyers>Carriers>Frigates>All Other Attacking Entities.
    I'm sure the Bobby AI Is going to get some major overhauls in future updates, I can't help but wonder if the dev team might work something like that? An anti-missile flak turret could be just as useful against drone and fighter swarms (filtered by their mass size, perhaps), whilst high-damage cannon and beam turrets will focus only on the largest mass entities.

I'm trying not to post too much in the forums given that I'm still pretty new to the community. Just gimme a heads up if I'm poking places long left forgotten

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An anti-missile flak turret could be just as useful against drone and fighter swarms (filtered by their mass size, perhaps), whilst high-damage cannon and beam turrets will focus only on the largest mass entities.
    Most AMS turrets are a 1 block cannon/cannon, which only does 1 damage and rapid fire. This is because missiles only have 1 hp, and wasting energy on them with bigger guns isn't going to help any. I doubt even the smallest drones would be threatened by the average AMS, but a multi-role turret might be an option. If we can have the Bobby AI switch weapons to deal with different threats, then that would make them that much more versatile. I would definitely build AMS guns into my medium turrets to cut down on the clutter if that were the case.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I've been going over threads pertaining to Bobby AI, and I can't seem to find anyone mentioning or trying to implement a targeting priority logic system, if it's even possible.

If anyone is familiar with the X3 game developed by Egosoft, any ships with turrets had an awesome function of being given a set of targets and a priority in which to choose them.

My flak groups targeted Missiles>Fighters>Corvettes>Defense, whilst my heavier turrets were set up to attack Destroyers>Carriers>Frigates>All Other Attacking Entities.
    I'm sure the Bobby AI Is going to get some major overhauls in future updates, I can't help but wonder if the dev team might work something like that? An anti-missile flak turret could be just as useful against drone and fighter swarms (filtered by their mass size, perhaps), whilst high-damage cannon and beam turrets will focus only on the largest mass entities.

I'm trying not to post too much in the forums given that I'm still pretty new to the community. Just gimme a heads up if I'm poking places long left forgotten
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/my-two-cents-on-turret-ai.5599/

Here you go ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    All good ideas, I personally am designing my ships to be almost entirely AI dependent for weapons, no ship-borne cannons just the nukes. I'd like a way to filter a target priority list, hopefully have that added in with the recent enhancements to blueprints and scoring.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My thought was to have separate targeting and NAV selections. This would allow keeping the Bobby AI "Target Selected" to shoot at anything you pick with your targeting selection and avoid have them start shooting asteroids or or unintended targeting accidents.