New Asteriod Configuration

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I got the idea today about the asteroids.

Currently the setting for the asteroid size:
    ASTEROID_RADIUS_MAX = 64 //Asteroid max radius in blocks (from -x to +x)

What I was thinking was something like the planet settings:
    PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 225.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 85.0 //Planet size standard deviation. Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0)

Thought I'd put this out there and see what everyone thought.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Let me try to explain how the settings work.

ASTEROID_RADIUS_MAX = 64 //Asteroid max radius in blocks (from -x to +x)
    This will give you a maximum diameter Asteroid of 128 blocks.

The center of the Asteroid is zero 0. From zero 0 you can go +64 or -64. The game will make all sizes of Asteroids from this setting. But none will be bigger then 128 blocks diameter.

Note that an Asteroid has NO Core! They are entirely made up of blocks.

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 225.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 85.0 //Planet size standard deviation. Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0)
    This will give you a maximum Planet PLATE diameter size of 225 + 85 = 310 blocks. The smallest Planet Plate will be 225 - 85 = 140 blocks.
    The game will make/seed the map with Planets that have Plates in between this size range.

The min "minimum size possible" 50 setting of PLANET_SIZE_MEAN is needed because Planets have a Core!

If the Individual Plates are smaller then 50 blocks. Then they do not fit around the Core of the Planet. Because the Core has a fixed diameter.

With this explanation. What is it that you like to see changed to these settings?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Now that I see how the settings work and understand it, I withdraw my suggestion. Thank you for the explanation of it.

Reaction score
    This will give you a maximum Planet PLATE diameter size of 225 + 85 = 310 blocks. The smallest Planet Plate will be 225 - 85 = 140 blocks.
    The game will make/seed the map with Planets that have Plates in between this size range.
    You must not understand how standard deviation works. It works something like this; 68.2% of all the planets will fall withing 310-140. Those numbers are not max,min as you incorrectly stated. Visit enough planets and you will find them larger and smaller than those numbers.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    If you change the 64 number in your world config file you can have some big asteroids!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You must not understand how standard deviation works. It works something like this; 68.2% of all the planets will fall withing 310-140. Those numbers are not max,min as you incorrectly stated. Visit enough planets and you will find them larger and smaller than those numbers.
    Alright so that explains this part of the configuration:

Note: normal gaussian distribution graph scaled horizontally by 1/3 (min 0)

I must admit this had me a bit puzzled.

I use the Planet configuration to keep Planets as small as possible. So i had not seen any deviation smaller then 50. I mostly have it at just 20 blocks difference to get that little bit of size change.

But most should be able to get it to work with what is written here. Ultimately everyone that needs this needs to do some tinkering of there own to get the desired results.