Neutral NPC harassment

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Where is the setting to turn off Neutral NPC harassment?

I'm just trying to get a new game going (after a 2 year break...) and these stupid Traders keep pushing my ship around. Twice they have hurled it spinning through space. Once I came back from the bathroom to find my ship spinning 12 sectors away and once I had to chase down my spinning ship (which contained all my cargo) in just a core with a thruster. I am still not sure how I managed to stop it. Yelling at the screen must've helped. Is there a way to make them leave me (and my ships) alone? Trying to work on a ship while they keep nudging it around is annoying too. What is their problem? Is space not big enough for the two of us?

I am not quite up to speed with all the updates since I've last played, so I have been trying to play it safe and return to the start sector/shop to build/experiment while I get my bearings and not be murdered by pirates. But it turns out the neutral npcs are just as irritating as the pirates. Is there a better strategy for early survival, until I figure out the new systems well enough to build a functioning ship with turrets?

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    Not sure if it's what you've been looking for, but you can aways dock your ship to a station or a planet. If I remember correctly you can even dock to an asteroid if you place a rail on it.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Where is the setting to turn off Neutral NPC harassment?

I'm just trying to get a new game going (after a 2 year break...) and these stupid Traders keep pushing my ship around. Twice they have hurled it spinning through space. Once I came back from the bathroom to find my ship spinning 12 sectors away and once I had to chase down my spinning ship (which contained all my cargo) in just a core with a thruster. I am still not sure how I managed to stop it. Yelling at the screen must've helped. Is there a way to make them leave me (and my ships) alone? Trying to work on a ship while they keep nudging it around is annoying too. What is their problem? Is space not big enough for the two of us?

I am not quite up to speed with all the updates since I've last played, so I have been trying to play it safe and return to the start sector/shop to build/experiment while I get my bearings and not be murdered by pirates. But it turns out the neutral npcs are just as irritating as the pirates. Is there a better strategy for early survival, until I figure out the new systems well enough to build a functioning ship with turrets?
    The NPC AI is... well... really, REALLY dumb. For this reason, it's not uncommon for players to turn off NPC factions altogether.

Try this...

1) Go in to your StarMade installation folder, and open the file called server.cfg in your notepad app.

2) Seach for the following line: NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT = X //Maximum npc factions per galaxy (-1 for unlimited (will still be around 2-10))
    "X" will actually be a number in this entry. It represents the number of NPC factions in your game.

3) Replace whatever number is in place of "X" with 0 (zero) and save the changes to this document an then close it.

4) Start a new game.

Your new game will have no NPC factions other than the response fleets that appear when you knock down the shields on a station.

Hope this helps you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You can also change NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT from the main menu, under LOCAL PLAY -> ADV. SETTINGS -> NPC -> "Max NPC Factions per galaxy"

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You can also change NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT from the main menu, under LOCAL PLAY -> ADV. SETTINGS -> NPC -> "Max NPC Factions per galaxy"
    Nice; I learned something new. Thanks.

It would be cool if these factions would start out small instead of taking up an entire quadrant of the galaxy.

As it stands now, these guys are basically an infestation that bloats the database, eats up resources (both in game and on your PC hardware) gets unlimited ships, acts like its their day job to be in the way of whatever you're trying to do and then declares war on you when they inevitably fly through your line of fire, as you attempt to defend your base from pirates.

Hopefully this changes with the new universe.

Reactions: jayman38