Negative Review: Mikelands AUS Server - My Experience

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    After myself and my faction members were permanently banned on the Mikelands server, I decided I would come onto the official Starmade forums to share my experience. Throughout my time on the server the admin consistently interrogated us due to several players we had attacked reporting us of cheating. The admin tried to get us to admit to our wrongdoings by explaining that he had seen everything we had been doing in the logs. Thing is, we hadn't cheated in any way while playing on the server. The admin quickly jumped to the conclusion that we were cheating, based on the accusations of the other players, and tried his best to get us to admit to something we didn't do. Eventually we managed to persuade him that we had done nothing wrong, and after that all was well for a couple of weeks.

The next conflict was after the admin joined on an undercover account alongside another player who he was friendly with. They taunted us and threatened us in the chat for several days, trying to incite some aggression from us. A day or two after the taunting I decided to fly over in a cloaked ship to see what they had at their base while they were offline. I got about 2/3 of the way to my destination when the admin logged on. Thinking nothing of it I continued my journey and finally entered the base sector. While approaching the base, my cloak suddenly disabled and I was killed by their defenses. No faction member was online at the time to have scanned, and when I questioned this the admin informed me that they had an autoscanner. Shortly after respawning I was teleported to spawn and told to decloak my ship by the admin. I told him I had just died, and my ship no longer existed, however he kicked me for not following instruction. After logging back on I was teleported to my base and told to remove my other cloak ship because it did not meet server rules. He explained that it was not fully covered in hull, and had a radar jammer. Here is a link to their rules, which explains that cloak ship need to be mostly covered in hull, with any internals exposed looking good. I'll provide a screenshot of the cloaked ship I was using.

A day or two after this event I armed up my titan with anti-missile turrets, and made my way back to the base. Upon arriving I discovered a mothership undocked and vulnerable. Taking advantage of the situation, I destroyed the mothership. A few minutes after returning to my base the admin logged on, and banned me for hacking, as well as removing and blacklisting my faction. He explained that he may not have had any proof in his logs that I had cheated, however he had docked the ship and there was no way I could have killed it without cheating to undock it. I appealed this decision on the Mikelands forums, and after my faction member posted a video showing that glitches with the docking can occur, I was unbanned by the server owner. I was appreciative of this, however it was short lived. My faction members had been angered by my unjustified ban, and posted on the forums, questioning the admin and his decision. The server owner decided to permanently ban all of us from the server due to this.

All in all, Mikelands has great hardware and runs very well, however it has bad administration and over the top rules that can be changed on a whim depending on the admins mood. If you want to PvP in Starmade, Mikelands is not the place, as you can see from my experience where it could lead you.

Below is the picture of my cloak ship:
    Rogue.jpg

If you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me :)

- SuperWookie

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snk and SkylordLuke

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is like third or fourth time I hear about admins treating people badly on the server... Something is definitely going on. And yeah, that's a really cool ship you got there.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I would assume they've gone mad with power, because i have very nearly done the same thing before, and have seen other starmade admins go mad with said power. Moderation and limitation is key.

Reaction score
    I think a huge part is you have to force yourself to have rules as an admin. You really need to sit down and think "What do I believe is acceptable behavior from myself and how would I react if it happened to me?" Then write is all down and make a compact with yourself. I get that it is very tiring being an admin especially if you have a semi transient population. I have been an admin in many games before, and I hate the temptation it brings.

What would be an interesting thing to hear is what are acceptable rules. Call it a trip through Kant's categorical imperative. Basically what are rules that should be universally had and accepted on all servers by the population?

For example. Cussing, tossing crude messages and getting racially explicit in general chat would be prohibited because most people would not enjoy being cussed at and vulgar speech if the roles were reversed.

Or using admin powers for direct and unwarranted personal gain for oneself or others is prohibited.

Ironically the reason my group started this server project was we had very similar issues on other servers. Admins often lose sight of the core of what they are doing and many become jaded by rule enforcement and server maintenance.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The cloak ship I had was a BP I modified to fit the Mikelands rules. Heres a link, all credit to the creator :D http://starmadedock.net/content/sc-phantom.2303/
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432440025,1432437547][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This is like third or fourth time I hear about admins treating people badly on the server... Something is definitely going on. And yeah, that's a really cool ship you got there.
    I would assume they've gone mad with power, because i have very nearly done the same thing before, and have seen other starmade admins go mad with said power. Moderation and limitation is key.
    There is only one Starmade admin for Mikelands, the other Mikelands admins are all Minecrafters. Never a good idea to have one person with ALL the power IMO.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is probably the 3rd time I've heard someone leaving Mikelands under a similar story. Admin sounds mad with power to me. Find a new server that isn't hosted by a crazed lunatic.

BTW, that's a sick cloaker.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is probably the 3rd time I've heard someone leaving Mikelands under a similar story. Admin sounds mad with power to me. Find a new server that isn't hosted by a crazed lunatic.

BTW, that's a sick cloaker.
    We did join a new server a month or so ago, however the admin has just recently shut it down and recommended Mikelands as the server everybody moves to lol.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We did join a new server a month or so ago, however the admin has just recently shut it down and recommended Mikelands as the server everybody moves to lol.
    I would suggest Shattered Skies. It seems like a good server.

Reactions: SuperWookie
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would suggest Shattered Skies. It seems like a good server.
    Since we live in Australia we need an Australian server to achieve a decent ping, otherwise its impossible to PvP or build because of the immense lag. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Seems the heat has gotten a bit turned up in here....

Whether or not the issue with the troubles between Mikelands and Superwookie and friends lays with one side or the other, it's turned to flaming, which is against StarMade Dock rules regardless of the reasons for it.

This thread has been cleaned up now. I would recommend not starting this argument back up. But if you must, please keep it civil this time around. Else, severe punishment will be dished out as necessary.

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!

Whether or not the issue with the troubles between Mikelands and Superwookie and friends lays with one side or the other, it's turned to flaming, which is against StarMade Dock rules regardless of the reasons for it.

This thread has been cleaned up now. I would recommend not starting this argument back up. But if you must, please keep it civil this time around. Else, severe punishment will be dished out as necessary.
    Apologies I couldn't resist. <3 Fire

Reactions: SuperWookie
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have to say fire, your name + the 1200 degrees bit next to it ties in so well with your post xD

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Playing the game on an admin account is a very bad idea tbh, that's basically asking for power abuse. It's WAY better to have an account for playing the game and an admin account, with the admin account only being used under active admin duty.

There's a server setting to enable multiple names under the same starmade registry account, I suggest that you use it @mikeland admins

Status
    Not open for further replies.