Votes: 2 100.0%
    • sq4+

Votes: 1 50.0%
    • nope, but I'll check it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Starmade is coming a long way and it has rapidly become my favorite game of all time. I see good things in the future of starmade. There are so many things you can do with this game it's incredible. Everything from fighter competitions to soccer, and everything between above and beyond.

My next goal is to create a series of quests, recreating am old game i used to play as a kid (Space Quest) to play as either an inserted system, group of systems, or on single player as a whole map. There are already a ton of tools available that will help me do this, but I'm going to need a few more to make it work.

Locks and keys. I think a storage module could be modified a bit to act as a receptacle of a specific item. When that particular item is placed, it would activate logic. The item could be anything, including a unique key that has a code and possibly a custom inventory graphic. The logic could be activated upon placing the key, or upon it being filtered into another box (for one time use keys).

Sector_chmod 0 0 0 + nosalvage

This would disable anyone from picking up anything that is not listed on a *questpickup* list in the given sector.

Sector_chmod + noindicator(string)

The ability to set specific filters that are available in the specific sector, or to make indicators only available while in a ship.

System_chmod

The ability to lock down an entire system for purposes of quest making, and large scale mini games. Graphics showing locked sectors and systems on the map could also be useful.

Instant pickup items.

These would be items like keys and other quest items that wouldn't need the dematerializer to pick up for quest purposes.

Block detection block.

This would have a filter set to it and would activate once a selected block or item is placed adjacent to it.

Shop customizability.

Must be able to not show items not in stock at all, and show items in stock without a category tree. Must also be able to set access radius. Multiple shops owned by different people on one station could be possible. Players could also display what they have in stock more easily.

Npc skins.

Something like
    spawn_creature_skin custom1 npcName

Obviously the ability to give quest items and recieve rewards to and from npcs, but you already have that one.

System docks.
    This would be a single system with its slaves and effects on a ship by itself, docked without a gap so that the main ship can use it as though it were part of it. I'm thinking of having a rack of different parts that you can slap on and go with minimal setup. Thrusters, weapons, batteries, generators, etc.

Only on and only off gravity.

Logic should be able to only turn it on or off. If it is already on, it will leave it on. If off, it will leave it off. I think if the activation turns blue, it should turn it on, orange should turn it off.

Melee weapon.

I'm thinking an energy blade of some sort, but anything is fine, even a wrench.

Throwable item.

Grenade comes to mind, but it could be something like a rock. Should be customizable in the config for what it does when it lands. (Push a button, make something sleep, go boom, etc.)

Hostile npcs.

I think this is already possible, but a command that would assign them to be pirates would be nice.
    Also, being able to spawn them with more or less hp would be helpful.

I'm going to start working on this project soon. I'll be doing live streams of it (twitch.tv/jathtech) and events around it. I would love to get feedback and even some help. If you're interested, come check out the stream and feel free to contact me.

This is going to be a big project and i think it will really help grow this community.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love Space Quest. Let me know if you'd like me to go ahead and put wedges onto my "Aluminum Mallard" (available in Community Content). It would be a simple, straight-forward upgrade. (It's all blocky right now, because it was one of my first ships, before I was able to get more wedges.) My Aluminum Mallard is a little long, but since the original uses the SciFi standard of 4-inch (or less) walls, some compromise is required. (Feel free to grab it from Community Content as a base and wedge it yourself.)

I even have a tiny Space Quest Easter Egg secreted away in the top level of my "Theatrical" ship (also available in Community Content.)

This stuff sounds great. The quest stuff is badly wanted in the default game.

For melee weaponry, I think absolutely anything should be usable to hit someone over the head, based on mass and your character's strength. Wanna hit that Orat over the head with a wedge hull? OK. Wanna smack that Arnoid across the face with a charged crystal block, or pistol-whip him with your repair beam? Fine (just hope your life insurance is paid up). I'm thinking left-click on a non-block entity can initiate the melee attack mode. Then maybe have a separate key for throwing. (Do we have a "drop" key yet? Maybe that would be a logical key for throwing.)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For melee weaponry, I think absolutely anything should be usable to hit someone over the head, based on mass and your character's strength. Wanna hit that Orat over the head with a wedge hull? OK. Wanna smack that Arnoid across the face with a charged crystal block, or pistol-whip him with your repair beam? Fine (just hope your life insurance is paid up). I'm thinking left-click on a non-block entity can initiate the melee attack mode. Then maybe have a separate key for throwing. (Do we have a "drop" key yet? Maybe that would be a logical key for throwing.)
    What about smacking him with a square meter of molten lava? :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm going to need some help doing things like making planets, building the larger ships, skins, and a few other things.

Another thing i would need to do the quest right is having scripted ship movement, reverse docking beams, and rails. The scripted movement could be done with custom invisible rail blocks, so that's two in one right there. I'm expecting pistons to be available in the future, although i don't know when that will be.