Implemented Need to be able to rotate docks

Reaction score
    I would like the ability to arbitrarily rotate dock modules along the axis that intersects their primary face.

My rear hangars such that the ships would face rearwards rather than forwards.

My side turrets (and fixed turrets) so that they face and fire properly.

Currently mounting things 'sideways' makes them behave really weirdly, especially turrets.

Mounting them upside down creates additional weirdness where controls get reversed.

Reaction score
    Also, being able to chan the turrents would be great. That's the first step to having modular firin units on a ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, this is a great idea. I would also love to see the ability to have a non-central docking system so that ships without a centralized core are not penalized but at a guess that would be a bit harder to implement.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    docks are planned to be overhauled so this would have to be revisited post-revision

Reaction score
    docks are planned to be overhauled so this would have to be revisited post-revision
    Just to be sure: is it planned to allow more than one turret in a chain? I would really like seeing (in the non-in-game term) big cannons with tiny cannons on them having more cannons on them. Something like a Medusa with each snake-head being a Medusa as-we-know-her, but both first-Medusa-snakes and second-Medusa-snakes would be turrets able to fire. And each child-turret would take the stuff it needs from the mother-ship (turret or not, station or not).

Shall I make a different thread for this?

Reaction score
    I´d love to see that! My Destiny has a dock at the bottom but as you already said, the docked ship faces towards the back of the Destiny and this loos absolutely like... A bit like the Batman Sign but not on the cool way...

Reaction score
    Also some type of new block for the ships/turrets that will be used as the docking point instead of the Ship core, many cores are not at the center of their ships and people often want to have the docking point elsewhere.

Reaction score
    Also some type of new block for the ships/turrets that will be used as the docking point instead of the Ship core, many cores are not at the center of their ships and people often want to have the docking point elsewhere.
    Excelent suggestion! We really need that! Maybe call it "Docking Point"... verry useful for those ships with a asymetrical design...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Isn't the ability to assign the direction docks face a planned feature? I think it was even added, but there is no GUI for it.

Reaction score
    Turrets will not ever allow more turrets, with the exception of the possible 2 stage articulation split (one stage rotates, the other pivots.)
    Otherwise, improved docking controls will be in the next major patch along with the rails and the total rework of docking functionality.

Reaction score
    Articulation split yes please.

You guys are great. This is exactly what I feel like a community engaged indie project could be.

I think this is the sweet spot where the community is populated with motivated early adopters and the devs are getting feedback they value.

Good times

Reaction score
    Turrets will not ever allow more turrets, with the exception of the possible 2 stage articulation split (one stage rotates, the other pivots.)
    Otherwise, improved docking controls will be in the next major patch along with the rails and the total rework of docking functionality.
    Well, I was hoping for up to at least 3 stages, but even 2 is a great improvement! (3 as in ship + tube rotation + big cannon and angle for the tiny turrets+ turrets which shoot rockets+beam+emp/explosion on the sides of the big cannon...)

Reaction score
    do you guys have a rough ETA for the next patch, or is there still a lot of work to be done?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, being able to rotate the docks would be very nice.

My current ship has nice big turrets on top that face forward, and the same turrets on the bottom face backwards. I'd really rather not build an entire backwards duplicate of the turrets just to have them all face forwards like they're supposed to.