Need help

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm designing a huge rail hangar door 81m tall 147m wide, I need advice on detailing for the door and maybe some inspiration.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How thick is the door, one block? If so, go with different slab heights.

Three blocks and you can make some interesting cross threading stuff.

Or you could do a roll away door by breaking it into many vertical strips each on their own docker that roll up/to the side and then back, letting you get the look of a huge solid door disappearing into a space that is entirely too small to hold it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    How thick is the door, one block? If so, go with different slab heights.

Three blocks and you can make some interesting cross threading stuff.

Or you could do a roll away door by breaking it into many vertical strips each on their own docker that roll up/to the side and then back, letting you get the look of a huge solid door disappearing into a space that is entirely too small to hold it.
    3 blocks thick

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've used that on a couple of ships, and while it looks cool when it works, it can also be finicky. My design used pretty basic logic, admittedly - the rails all switched at once, which led to pauses and "bouncing" of the docked entities as they detected collisions. When it works smoothly, it reminds me of a garage door. I imagine that you could add (extensive) logic to add delays for each rail and make things more orderly, but I didn't have the space on the small ships I tried it on for such adventures.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've used that on a couple of ships, and while it looks cool when it works, it can also be finicky. My design used pretty basic logic, admittedly - the rails all switched at once, which led to pauses and "bouncing" of the docked entities as they detected collisions. When it works smoothly, it reminds me of a garage door. I imagine that you could add (extensive) logic to add delays for each rail and make things more orderly, but I didn't have the space on the small ships I tried it on for such adventures.
    make the corner junction rail (and two or so on either side) faster and it should also fix the problem.

sometimes aesthetic pistons can look really cool. or also giant "locking" beams that extend across the bay door. also if the door is absolutely huge, it can be nice to have a small door inside of it.