Need help with the building camera

Reaction score
    I swear when a ship is fighter size its okay but when it comes to larger ships such as Cruisers, battleships etc the build cam gets annoying due to it focused on one spot and the camera orbits around said spot.

Imagine a sphere, and a dot in the exact center of the sphere that dot is the focus point and the sphere is the camera axis that orbits around the focus point.

It gets REALLY irritating trying to place blocks down when a ship gets massive sized which is the only issue I have when trying to build large ships.

Is there a way to unlock the build cam so it doesn't focus on one point or is the camera stuck like that?
    If it stuck like that, how do I work around it?
    "Dealing with it is out of the question as its near impossible as I'm trying to put down blocks but it takes 30 second at the very least trying to place a single block into the correct place meanwhile it takes me only a few seconds to place a block outside build mode and it gets really tiring wrestling with the camera

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I do not know if this works. But maybe place down an extra BuildBlock. More closely to the part of the ship you are working on. Then use that BuildBlock to get a different focus point.

There is also the free cam option double tab right shift. But i do not now if that is available in build mode.

I tend to just build from the Ship Core. Or on a Station from a BuildBlock.

Reaction score
    I do not know if this works. But maybe place down an extra BuildBlock. More closely to the part of the ship you are working on. Then use that BuildBlock to get a different focus point.

There is also the free cam option double tab right shift. But i do not now if that is available in build mode.

I tend to just build from the Ship Core. Or on a Station from a BuildBlock.
    You do realise when I say "Build mode" I mean the one while in the core
    [doublepost=1484426804,1484426684][/doublepost]Okay here we go.... Some reason the Game randomly locks said camera

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You do realise when I say "Build mode" I mean the one while in the core
    Yes. So is double tab right shift available? Did you try leaving the Core and placing a Buildblock? He i am trying to learn something to here! :^D

Okay here we go.... Some reason the Game randomly locks said camera
    Hmm how big is that ship? Maybe your computer is at it's maximum CPU use.

Reaction score
    Yes. So is double tab right shift available? Did you try leaving the Core and placing a Buildblock? He i am trying to learn something to here! :^D

Hmm how big is that ship? Maybe your computer is at it's maximum CPU use.
    Well.... Its only about 5-10% done (Pretty much only the bridge is completed and just started working on part of the hull.)

Been trying to make my ships look less like junk and more detailed then I used to build like refined corners and such.

The bridge itself is over 43k blocks and holds 7.5m power + slightly over 1m power regen
    [doublepost=1484428099,1484427981][/doublepost]It's pretty much a battlecruiser *My fleet will also have a dreadnought but I'm doing the smaller ship first since I need a mass made ship and might as well as both will have the same bridge*

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I swear when a ship is fighter size its okay but when it comes to larger ships such as Cruisers, battleships etc the build cam gets annoying due to it focused on one spot and the camera orbits around said spot.
    it's because of the zoom, when you zoom out to have a global view there is this effect you have to zoom in completely to remove it. sometimes you are not completely zooming in without realising it so the effect remain. there is no workaround, you have to place blocks when you are completely zooming in and just zoom out to have a global sight.

Reaction score

Imagine a sphere, and a dot in the exact center of the sphere that dot is the focus point and the sphere is the camera axis that orbits around the focus point.

It gets REALLY irritating trying to place blocks down when a ship gets massive sized which is the only issue I have when trying to build large ships.

Is there a way to unlock the build cam so it doesn't focus on one point or is the camera stuck like that?
    If it stuck like that, how do I work around it?
    "Dealing with it is out of the question as its near impossible as I'm trying to put down blocks but it takes 30 second at the very least trying to place a single block into the correct place meanwhile it takes me only a few seconds to place a block outside build mode and it gets really tiring wrestling with the camera
    I Get near the area, then use L ctrl (advanced build mode) to place with precision.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The bridge itself is over 43k blocks and holds 7.5m power + slightly over 1m power regen
    Good luck with that thing. If just the bridge is that big, if you ever manage to finish it you might just plain crash the game the instant you undock it.

Reaction score
    As ppl mentioned earlier I always do these things:
    - make sure to zoom in all the way (L-Shift + scroll wheel)
    - move the "camera focus point" by W A S D
    - zoom in/out as needed from that "focus point"
    - use the "remove mode" (red square) in Advanced Build (Left CTRL) (the red square highlights the existing blocks, that are already placed) - I find it much more convenient. The only time I switch back to normal mode (yellow box) is to change block orientation.

- not sure, but I think I too have L-Ctrl pressed most of the time (for comfort of placement) (it's a muscle memory thing already)

The only difficulty that is unavoidable is when looking straight down or straight up - the view doesn't go past the zenith angle.

P.S. I'm not assuming that someone does/doesn't know any of this, simply putting it out there.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I have never used build mode zoomed out lol. It never even occurred to me to do it.

I do zoom out when using the free can in fly mode though, for pictures (like I'm sure everyone does)

Reaction score
    I have never used build mode zoomed out lol. It never even occurred to me to do it.

I do zoom out when using the free can in fly mode though, for pictures (like I'm sure everyone does)
    Lol - I only take pictures by zooming out in build-mode cos I can chose the focus point. I can't seem to do that (move the focus point / orbit center) with free cam in fly mode :)

Reaction score
    Lol - I only take pictures by zooming out in build-mode cos I can chose the focus point. I can't seem to do that (move the focus point / orbit center) with free cam in fly mode :)
    I hear Ya. I don't like taking them in build mode cuz then area triggers and non physical rails are jarringly visible lol. I change my focus point in flight mode by taking pics from other cameras, since the camera is what the....camera centers on