Need help filling an Asteroid...

Reaction score
    So I plan to make an asteroid-ship, but I've run into a problem.

This sucker is completely hollow! I need to fill it with rock. I tried SMEdit, but all that does is lock up and complain, even with 6gb allocated. Advice? :(

Reaction score
    Sadly leaving it hollow isn\'t that much of an option. One missile hit and it\'s revealed as a glorified shell! :(

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    LOL, true.

Maybe you can just fill it to get a 10m thick border and do the rest with 10x10x10 block cubes?

Or wait until we get copy-paste or randomized cubes in our build mode.

Or make shields :P

I really like to see more asteroid bases (with hangar entrances in craters) in StarMade.

And a pack of download-able hollow planets/Asteroids/etc

Reaction score
    OR, you could create the most ridiculous mine in the world, and fill it completely with disnitengrators. If I remember correctly, they explode when shot now? You would probably have to do it by hand, though.

Reaction score
    Why not make it a big base or a ship? You could put hangar bays and shields and stuff like others have said. What are the dimensions on it anyways?

On the subject of actually filling it: I can\'t really help you other than saying you could do it manually.

Reaction score
    It\'s the problem with edition tools : people tend to become lazy. Tassyr I\'m not saying you are lazy, but my point is : if you want to build an asteroid-looking-giant-ship, at some point you are going to work on it by hand. It might not be the most interesting task, but you\'ll have to do it.

Or, instead of filling it, you could build everything inside, hangars, rooms, shields, power, weapons, and THEN, fill the unused space. In my opinion it will be easier to work in an empty space.

Reaction score
    I\'d recommend filling it entirely with blue hull. Then, instead of \"fill\", you can just \"replace\" blue hull. Then save it. So then from then on you can load that asteroid base, and then replace the blue hull with whatever you goddamn please.

Reaction score
    Reminds me of the final level from Descent 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGPSz_Mfac

Reaction score
    Okay, dozed off, but the thing -is- going to be a ship, which is why I want to fill it in a bit. And honestly this is the first time i\'ve tried to do anything extensively in SMEdit; I just cringe at the idea of filling a roughly 500x500x500 semi-sphere/semi-cubewith blocks. :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I take it the core is in the center. In advanced build mode, set the symmetry for the X, Y and Z axis. Now when you turn all the sliders to 10, you\'ll be able to slap down 4 10x10x10 bricks at a time, and you\'d only really have to work in one quadrant of the whole sphere.

The part that\'s gonna suck is filling in that first 10m deep around the \'crust\' so you don\'t accidentally get a huge brick of rock sticking out where you don\'t want it. That\'d be the downside of using the symmetry guides in an asymmetrical hull.

I took one of the existing asteroid models, hollowed it out in SMedit, and essentially filled it with shields and engines, disturbingly quick for a rock, but turned like a turtle. Haven\'t yet built anything to your 500x500 scale, but I\'m betting that you might just want to have a huge empty space of sorts under that brick of \'hull\' to save a bit on mass. You could have a hanger bay for small ships to get in and out of it, (imagine having to lazy-float around to the \"door\" as an astronaut) or even build yourself your own private bio-dome.