Nebulon-B (Star Wars)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I decided to attempt a scale-model (using 1 cubic meter = 1 block as measurement) of the Nebulon-B Frigate from Star Wars as my first large ship build.

Now, I've only reached the point of setting up a wire-frame and trying out my hand at fitting the hull (at least on the rear section, which should be easier, I think...

However, at this point some questions occured to me, and I figured I would put them to everyone to see what occured.

Question 1:

Currently, I have started putting down the rear hull, which I used Gray Hull (not hardened) blocks for - would it be advisable to switch to hardened? Or is that kinda moot...

Question 2:

Iis a 1:1 scale really large enough? I was looking around the forum and noticed multiple star wars fighters built, but they seemed larger than scale, perhaps even twice as large.

The Neb-B is listed on Wookiepedia as being 300 meters long, so I laid out my ship for that length, and tried to fit the other measurements listed (72 wide, mine is 73 at the rear, which is the widest part, and 166 high at the front section's tallest point (I assume...))

So far I decided to work on the back section first due to it's likely being simpler, as it is more boxy:

View from slightly above, looking at the ship from the left rear:

View from rear (showing rear hull shape):

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently using this picture for most of my design work...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081008133939/starwars/images/1/12/NebulonB_schem.jpg

Edit: After screwing around in paint, I found that I could reduce the frontal view to precisely 166 high and use it to make a fairly accurate measurement of the ship from that angle.

However, the side view is too large to reduce to 300 long - it becomes blurry and inaccurate, preventing measurement.

so, I reduced it to 1200 long, and just divide my measurements by 4, rounding up or down a block if necessary to get things looking right...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Big project. Looking forward to it. Will you try to build the systems in the shown places?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem with doing that for the internal systems is that I frankly have no idea what these ships look like inside - except perhaps the Med bay? I forget what all of these we saw in the Star Wars movies...

The external systems I may indeed attempt. That front blade though...I am really not looking forward to attempting that...

Edit: also, that shield generator atop the rear hull would be nowhere NEAR powerful enough for a StarMade ship of this size.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can anyone tell me if the measurements for that ship included the very tall main com array in the height measurements? Because if so, I might need to change a few things...

Edit: Hmm...

I saw someone else mention resizing blueprints, so I did so with the frontal view of this thing (in the link), and when I reduced it (including masts) to exactly 166 pixels high, it came out to exactly 72 wide, which is precisely correct according to wookiepedia...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was going to tackle this ship at some point, but stoked to see how your\'s pans out! I\'ve only found one other for StarMade and it was a lot smaller than 1:1, and purple...

Speaking of, I say keep the 1:1 even if other\'s SW starfighters are larger (like mine).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have become a bit absorbed in getting those fin things on the bottom of the rear hull (engine section?) the right size/shape...

Here I am with various scaffolds in place building the things.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The scaffolding and measurements were done, the actual construction was quite rapid...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I changed the shape of the rear hull - after consulting those schematics more closely, it needed tweaking

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Of the fins/blades/whateverthehelltheyares:

Edit: Which are, currently, the most finish-looking part of my ship :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The engines...

Edit: Aaaaaand....

Finished with engines:

Edit 2: And even more complete...:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Q1:

i dont think you should if you want the ship to be fast and manouverable

Q2:

1:1 is fine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Useful (it is a youtube video of some 3d-model of the Neb-B someone made, or at least I think so...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZhQNW6WX4

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...when attempting to leave this project to do something else, that I had no way out of the engine section, which contains the ship core.

So I put in a (Possibly temporary, but it is barely noticible from outside the ship) plexdoor for that purpose - also, this gives you a view of the current unfinished inside of the engine section - I really have no good idea what to put in there, except engines, power, etc...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Will have power generation units running the entire length of this pipe thingy - in the movie ship, they almost surely had some kind of power transfer lines running down it, so it will make sense - but I should get decent power generation with lines that long:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What color should I make the internal bulkheads and such on this?

I recall that in the various Rebel Alliance ships, the internals were light gray or white, whereas on the Imperial ships, it was gray/dark gray or even black.

However this particular ship apparently was originally built for the Empire (according to Wookiepedia), but various examples were captured by the Rebels and put to good use by them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Me getting way ahead of myself, but I was thinking that once (if?) this project is ever finished, I might try and make a nebulon B2, which if....mother of god, I just searched for the nebulon B1 and realized there were far more excellent resources for details on my ship out there than I realized...ahem...I digress...

Which is basically the Neb B 1 with 2 front blades instead of 1.

Here

Nebulon B 1

And the Nebulon B 2, which I\'m not entirely sure is entirely canon, since 2 versions apparently exist - one with smooth blades and one with...not:

Also in that last pic something the artist is apparently calling the B4, which from the sounds of it he/she basically POMA\'d just because...

Still, I could use it to modify the neb-B1 into something else with relative ease.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The top of the rear engine section seems quite ambigoous, as nearly every image/picture/render/whatever of this ship seems to have a different version of it.

Of course that does mean I can make some shit up myself, to a degree.