NC-1701 Inspired Enterprise Mashup Build

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Hey, so I've been watching a lot of some of the older Star Trek series so I thought I'd build an enterprise. I didn't really see one specific design that stuck out to me, so I decided to kind of mash them all together. I'm combining aspects of each ship that I like.

I started off by combining the hull shape of the Galaxy-class with the pattern of the constitution class.

I really like the sphere look of the galaxy, but the oblong look was kind of weird. I'm basing most of it off of the original series design.

You can look out the bridge while you fly, it's really fun. If anyone has any suggestions for what the interior should be based off of, (voyager, TNG, whichever) let me know, I'm still not decided on what aesthetic design I want to go for.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hey, so I've been watching a lot of some of the older Star Trek series so I thought I'd build an enterprise. I didn't really see one specific design that stuck out to me, so I decided to kind of mash them all together. I'm combining aspects of each ship that I like.

I started off by combining the hull shape of the Galaxy-class with the pattern of the constitution class.

I really like the sphere look of the galaxy, but the oblong look was kind of weird. I'm basing most of it off of the original series design.

You can look out the bridge while you fly, it's really fun. If anyone has any suggestions for what the interior should be based off of, (voyager, TNG, whichever) let me know, I'm still not decided on what aesthetic design I want to go for.
    Star Trek Enterprise

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love the return to the pure circle shape.

I recommend a straight-forward vertical-wall approach seen in this hallway recreation, since I think it will be the easiest to replicate in StarMade:

One idea based on the current picture:
    The original starship was designed with saucer-separation in mind (it wasn't just a Next Generation idea!), and have the saucer land on planet surfaces, just like classic 50s movie alien flying saucers. Budgetary constraints made transporters the more popular personnel delivery method on the show.
    So maybe make the saucer section a dockable "shuttle" with shared thrust.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

I recommend a straight-forward vertical-wall approach seen in this hallway recreation, since I think it will be the easiest to replicate in StarMade:

The original starship was designed with saucer-separation in mind (it wasn't just a Next Generation idea!), and have the saucer land on planet surfaces, just like classic 50s movie alien flying saucers. Budgetary constraints made transporters the more popular personnel delivery method on the show.
    Yea, I'd like to do a sepera

Thanks, yea, I'm gonna make the saucer separable, it's basically a must! I want to do a TNG themed interior but I don't think the pallette is there. I might just mix Enterprise and Voyager to just have a modern sort of look to it.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Wow, that's coming along nicely now. Good work!

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sweet. I also like in the release, the picture where it is facing a Venator.

Is there another ship in Star Trek where the engine nacelles are so close together? I feel like they should be 50% farther apart as they are here. I'm looking at the geometry, and it looks like the angles force the current closeness, but maybe you could slide the "wings" a little farther down on the secondary hull, which will not only push them out, but also allow them more room to reach out to the sides?

I feel the current height of the nacelles are perfect, so if you push the wings down towards the sides of the secondary hull, it will give a couple more meters of lateral distance to reach up to the nacelles.

I can't help but feel the nacelles could stand to be stretched lengthwise a little bit. Maybe 10% longer in both directions. (Front to be closer to the saucer section, and to the rear, to keep the lowered "wings" from going to the back of the nacelles.)

Also, I recommend having a raised part of the secondary hull directly on top of the reflector dish for a torpedo tube or two (unless you are going for a torpedo-less look like the original-series ship.) The movie NCC-1701 had the torpedo tubes built into the neck, but my experience with another StarMade ncc-1701 build (Geasson's, I think) suggests that there simply isn't enough room in the neck for weapon systems, so that's why I recommend using the top tip of the secondary hull instead. It's close enough to still be reminiscent of the movie enterprise, yet still being more functional.

If you disagree and want to keep the exterior as it is now, it is still a superb build! Great job!

Edit: After playing with it in game, I can see that it can be tough to move those nacelles around. They are pretty full.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

Is there another ship in Star Trek where the engine nacelles are so close together? I feel like they should be 50% farther apart as they are here. I'm looking at the geometry, and it looks like the angles force the current closeness, but maybe you could slide the "wings" a little farther down on the secondary hull, which will not only push them out, but also allow them more room to reach out to the sides?

I feel the current height of the nacelles are perfect, so if you push the wings down towards the sides of the secondary hull, it will give a couple more meters of lateral distance to reach up to the nacelles.

I can't help but feel the nacelles could stand to be stretched lengthwise a little bit. Maybe 10% longer in both directions. (Front to be closer to the saucer section, and to the rear, to keep the lowered "wings" from going to the back of the nacelles.)

Also, I recommend having a raised part of the secondary hull directly on top of the reflector dish for a torpedo tube or two (unless you are going for a torpedo-less look like the original-series ship.) The movie NCC-1701 had the torpedo tubes built into the neck, but my experience with another StarMade ncc-1701 build (Geasson's, I think) suggests that there simply isn't enough room in the neck for weapon systems, so that's why I recommend using the top tip of the secondary hull instead. It's close enough to still be reminiscent of the movie enterprise, yet still being more functional.

If you disagree and want to keep the exterior as it is now, it is still a superb build! Great job!

Edit: After playing with it in game, I can see that it can be tough to move those nacelles around. They are pretty full.
    they are called struts by yeah they are WAY too close...just makes it looks odd from the top.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The exterior looks a lot like the disk of 1701-C on the engineering section of the 1701-A or motion picture version.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yea, I'd like to do a sepera

Thanks, yea, I'm gonna make the saucer separable, it's basically a must! I want to do a TNG themed interior but I don't think the pallette is there. I might just mix Enterprise and Voyager to just have a modern sort of look to it.
    I've built a TNG style for myself. You could do the same or similar.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Yea, I have noticed the nacelles being a little too close together as well. Problem is is that I'm a little too far into development and I'm not sure if it'd really be doable to move everything around. If it bugs me enough, ill do it, otherwise I'll just headcanon it into being the movie version with the nacelles super close together.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yea, I have noticed the nacelles being a little too close together as well. Problem is is that I'm a little too far into development and I'm not sure if it'd really be doable to move everything around. If it bugs me enough, ill do it, otherwise I'll just headcanon it into being the movie version with the nacelles super close together.
    oh well it happens lol...honestly don't do it....it looks better than the enterprise from those movies...

Reaction score
    I must say i really like the engineering hull and the warp nacelles. That they are a bit close together does not bother me that much, it still looks good.
    But i can not shake that feeling that the saucer, at least in my opinion, looks off. To me it looks a bit "inflated" and i would expect it to sit a bit more on the "neck". I can see only the impulse engine one the "neck". From what i know of most of the trek ships is that the impulse engine should be inside the saucer. So i would like it more when the saucer would be moved more to the back. I can understand that this far in construction this would require a lot of work to change that.
    All the hull details are fine and i like what you have shown from the interior.

Having tried to build some trek style ships as well i know it is not that easy to efficiently arm them. At least not with turrets as they mostly break the design and internal turrets are... well are not unproblematic to say the least.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finally, someone sees the logic in putting impulse drives on the back of the nacelles. That always seemed like a missing necessity to me. I love it. I've seen it in a few fan-based ideas, but never in canon. (Jerry_Brinefield has put big, bright impulse red lights on the back of his nacelles, and I dig it!) Now Jerry just needs to slip a big impulse engine on the bottom of the secondary hull to balance things out, so the thing doesn't look like impulse drive should flip it head over heels. Ha!

...But i can not shake that feeling that the saucer, at least in my opinion, looks off. To me it looks a bit "inflated" and i would expect it to sit a bit more on the "neck". I can see only the impulse engine one the "neck"....

Having tried to build some trek style ships as well i know it is not that easy to efficiently arm them. At least not with turrets as they mostly break the design and internal turrets are... well are not unproblematic to say the least.
    I feel that the saucer, as it is now, is in perfect style to take on circular-traverse phaser turrets as described here:
    Startrek Phaser Demo

(With the limited firepower that these turrets provide, it may be best to make them small dual-rapid-fire-cannon-with-a-rapid-fire-beam-between anti-missile turrets.)

I recommend three heavy turrets. The top and bottom "blisters" of the saucer section should actually be big turrets, and the bridge should probably be at the front of the saucer, for a good forward view through a window. Or else more towards the neck, with a camera in the front of the saucer. The third heavy turret should be underneath the secondary hull, to partially cover the back and bottom rear of the ship. However, since this would require a complete rebuild, this might have to be something I personally build instead.

StarMade is missing a number of systems that would allow more Trekky-ships:
    1. A function of the wireless block that allows a ship remote to control a docked-entity subsystem as if it were directly on the host ship. (Imagine: using a ship remote to charge and activate a jump drive on a docked secondary-hull's warp engine or Star-Wars-style Hyperjump ring. Or using a ship remote to fire the torpedo (locking missiles!) in the docked secondary hull.)
    2. A function that allows missile and turret locks without the target needing to be in your crosshairs. (Imagine locking onto a ship at a weird angle, and your turrets target, track, and fire on that ship, even though they are nowhere in front of you. Meanwhile, you shoot a torpedo out the front, which immediately starts turning towards the target.) This function would need to be nerfed, somehow, such as having three times the lock-on time of a missile-beam combo. Weapon locks with docked-entity weapons will seem very OP, when you consider StarMade's popular combat mechanic of using drones, but you won't really have a good docked-secondary-hull weapon system without it. So I figure longer-lock-on-times will help counter the over-powered-ness of non-LOS-locks.

Maybe drones are the best way to make Star Trek style ships more combat-effective in StarMade. Drop all your delta-flyers and/or combat runabouts and let them handle the battle.