Navigating with map

Reaction score
    So i've recently discovered the map (P + shift) but im having trouble figuring out which way im pointing. Sure I can fly in one direction and then look again to see where I am, but seems very inaccurate unless I move through sevral sectors. And even if I do that any bit of rotation or anything can put me off course. I tried pressing C hoping it will align me with any of the X,Z,Y planes, but that didnt seem to work either.

Another question related to navigation that I have is : If planets rotate around the a star, how the hell do they always stay in the same sector ?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I dont know how to use the maps, but i do know about the planets(kind of). The planet isnt moving, the whole sector it is in moves. i dont know how it doesnt collide with other sectors though

Reaction score
    This explains why everything outside apparently moves, when in fact it doesn\'t.

Reaction score
    I don\'t think sectors rotate cause you can see pretty clearly that the planets rotate around the star. And if the sectors would rotate the star would move too, which it doesn\'t.

Reaction score
    Sitting still on a planet or station, you can clearly see the sun rise and set... it may just not be that obvious while you\'re maneouvering in space.

Reaction score
    Yes the sectors kinda move around a bit but they do not move on the map, when checking where you are on the map go to an area where each sector co-ordinate is different and open the map, when you do this check your smallest number on the map and check the axis it\'s on. Then do this for the others. If your in (2, 2, 2) you will notice that you should be in the bottom corner of the system. Keep in mind that the Y is up and down direction. On the note of moving sectors though I notice all the sectors are still until you move a couple towards the centre, kinda like a sphere of influence round the star. The movement is not necessarily centred on the star though as I\'ve noticed the star moving in a circle with the surrounding planets. In reference on how they stay the same number think of it as your sector s rotating and the rest are still.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sun rotates around an invisable object
    Sectors rotate around the sun + sun\'s orbit

All position remain the same in correlation to sector due to everything being moved in the same direction and rotation pattern. But your actual location is space is always moving/changing.

Quote seems relevant \"No man sails the same sea twice.\" quite safe to assume that even when sitting still in 2,2,2 that its rotating as well, just not as noticable.

I was watching this the other day and figured planets moved through sectors, so i made a base on a planet around 7,5,3 and left it on for hours while i did some errands, sector stayed the same as i was sitting back in 2,2,2.