Nasty MacBook Pro crash

Reaction score
    I had a really troublesome crash running the latest build of StarMade. It ran fine for a few minutes, but then started having video issues. At one point, the left and right sides of the screen swapped places. You could scroll off the left side and show up on the right. Soon after, a crash, as expected. Unfortunately it was a really hard crash that brought my (admittedly old) macbook pro down.

After the crash, the system would not reboot. I tried many recovery options, but every time the system went to display the desktop, it crashed. Sometimes with a dreaded apple blue screen.

I figured that some sort of video setting was stuck in my setup. After a lot of trial and error, this is how I fixed it.

boot the machine in single user mode by holding down the command key and “s” just after you hear the start tone.

You will get dumped to the commond line with no graphics. Follow the on-screen instructions to repair your drive and mount it in read/write mode.

Next, remove the window server preference file using these commands:

rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
    rm /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windoserver.*

(replace [username] with the user’s home folder of the account that had the crash)

exit single user mode as instructed on screen.

Hold down [option][command][p][r] while the computer is rebooting. Continue holding until you hear TWO startup sounds and then release. This should reset your video settings stored in memory.

wait

hopefully your machine will boot successfully at this point.

I’m quite hesitant to run the game again after this. It’s a pretty scary crash. I was this close to restoring the system which would involve a lot of setup, but it probably would have worked.

Is there some way to configure safe video settings without actually launching the game? What would those safe settings be?

I hope you don’t have this problem, but if you do, maybe this description will help you get back online.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I had VERY similar issues running SM on a 2013 MBP, however to recover all I needed to do was reset the SMC, and all was good. No lasting hardware-level issues either.

As for preventing a reoccurrence, consider disabling OpenAL (it's under the Options/Sound tab), according to my notes, that ended up being the solution.