Nanite Repair Emitter (NRE)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Goddammit Vyor, just use Your imagination. Do You really always need other people to explain things to You? I'm starting to think that You are either a troll or You don't really think over Your comments.

NRE would be more convenient to use, because i.e. it could be used while running from enemy.

More detailed description, so maybe You won't have any more problems with that:

1) You get into a fight
    2) You are loosing a fight
    3) You run away from enemy
    4) You want to repair Your ship as fast as possible so:
    - You won't stop to let the drones/other ships repair You
    - Repair dock is too far or it isn't Your homebase so it won't give You invincibility
    5) You use NRE
    6) After most of the broken things are repaired, You turn around to engage the enemy, which is damaged, but haven't used nanites to repair
    7) This time Your win is more probable as Your ship is in better condition than the enemy ship.

Nanites could be also used in peaceful times instead of going back to repair dock. But it'd be more expensive way to repair, so probably it'd be used mostly by richer part of players.

Balance here is a key word. Turning off weapon systems on a ship is a good balancer for combat OP of this system. Making it expensive balance use of nanites instead of repair docks/astrotechnician beam.

Reactions: ltmauve

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    -Can be active while you are flying the ship somewhere
    GIVE them 1'000 energy hitpoint upkeep and nobody would repair their reactor-damaged ships while flying at max speed.

Also I have to say again that I think it is stupid that you can repair a 1 hp block for no cost, but have to spend so much money replacing a missing block.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also I have to say again that I think it is stupid that you can repair a 1 hp block for no cost, but have to spend so much money replacing a missing block.
    Do You refer to the nanites or repair dock/astrotechician beam?

For nanites number of used nanites (which translates into cost of repairs) could vary for different types of blocks and the damage of each one.

For repair dock/astrotechnician beam it could work similiar, if we had 2 blocks of AMC, one damaged for 30% and second for 50% then while repairing the first one the game would take 1 AMC block from storage (for repairing purposes), repair first block, remember that it has 70% of AMC block left and while repairing second damaged block, it would use the block which was already partially used. So we are left with 2 repaired AMC blocks and 20% of AMC (100%-(30+50)) block in memory of the game.

It could be memorized by astrotechnician computer block/repair dock block and after some time of not using it, it would be forgotten, so there won't be many data stored. This way our maximum loss of blocks during "repair session" wouldn't be higher than 1 for each type of block.

And it would be nice if we could decide which systems have a priority for repair when using nanites.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Still, I don't like that matter disappears into nowhere.

That is against the laws of physics!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If the destroyed blocks wouldn't vanish, then why we would be able to shoot through them? It's against physics! :)

Anyway, i think there could be extensive animations for destroyed blocks, but i think that the game would get a lot more laggy. I'm fine with current disappearing of blocks. And there was a suggestion about scraps from disconnected parts of the ship, but it's another topic, let's not go offtopic here :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Goddammit Vyor, just use Your imagination. Do You really always need other people to explain things to You? I'm starting to think that You are either a troll or You don't really think over Your comments.

NRE would be more convenient to use, because i.e. it could be used while running from enemy.

More detailed description, so maybe You won't have any more problems with that:

1) You get into a fight
    2) You are loosing a fight
    3) You run away from enemy
    4) You want to repair Your ship as fast as possible so:
    - You won't stop to let the drones/other ships repair You
    - Repair dock is too far or it isn't Your homebase so it won't give You invincibility
    5) You use NRE

Shutting down weapons and preventing you from doing much of anything... and allowing the guy chasing you too keep firing through the shield... killing you...

6) After most of the broken things are repaired, You turn around to engage the enemy, which is damaged, but haven't used nanites to repair
    7) This time Your win is more probable as Your ship is in better condition than the enemy ship.

Nanites could be also used in peaceful times instead of going back to repair dock. But it'd be more expensive way to repair, so probably it'd be used mostly by richer part of players.

Balance here is a key word. Turning off weapon systems on a ship is a good balancer for combat OP of this system. Making it expensive balance use of nanites instead of repair docks/astrotechnician beam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Information that You aren't using Your imagination is confirmed, still need confirmation about "not being able to understand what he reads".

1. Imagine there could be a situation when You are being chased by enemy but You are NOT in the range of his weapons.
    2. Your turrets still would be able to shoot
    3. We are not talking about draining the power dry, and turning off the shields, only turning WEAPONS off.

Maybe You are just intentionally searching for objections. Unlucky for You they are mostly invalid.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Information that You aren't using Your imagination is confirmed, still need confirmation about "not being able to understand what he reads".

1. Imagine there could be a situation when You are being chased by enemy but You are NOT in the range of his weapons.
    2. Your turrets still would be able to shoot
    3. We are not talking about draining the power dry, and turning off the shields, only turning WEAPONS off.

Maybe You are just intentionally searching for objections. Unlucky for You they are mostly invalid.
    If you are getting shot to the point that you need repairs, you aren't out of range...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you are getting shot to the point that you need repairs, you aren't out of range...
    What, and the damage just magically goes away when you get out of range?

rece ktore leczo Is this confirmation for "not being able to understand what he reads?"

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, i guess... I won't feed the troll/try to convince Vyor anymore. "Discussing" with him is pointless as he blindly defends his thought.

Reaction score
    The nanites are a strange material. With extreme amounts out power, a certain amount can attain to "clone" a piece, and therefore, they have not gone into thin air, but they have been used. Also I would like to think that it would be better to loot a battle field, and maybe more to core drilling if not destroying ship after core is destroyed.
    Destroying a block drops nanites. This might support a fleet, "catcher" which would be tall and wide but not long, to pick them up. Maybe 1% to 10% so that the nanites can be gotten in wars for. Say an AMC need 500 to replace, you would get 5, or 50 nanites, but they would be very small and hard to see in space, like a dropped object.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Nanites = no.

A pirate could core you, take your ship, then repair it to full without spending ANY credits OR blocks on it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Azereiah

Nanites would be then a part of his loot. Selling them instead of using them to repair ship, would bring him more credits. Just as he may take whole inventory of the ship. Pirates can also mine whole ship and sell it to parts. That's why pirating can be such profitable job.

Also, please, don't use a core drilling reference. This mechanics will be changed.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Azereiah

Nanites would be then a part of his loot. Selling them instead of using them to repair ship, would bring him more credits. Just as he may take whole inventory of the ship. Pirates can also mine whole ship and sell it to parts. That's why pirating can be such profitable job.

Also, please, don't use a core drilling reference. This mechanics will be changed.
    It won't be the main method of combat, but it will likely still exist in the form of players attempting to do minimum damage to ships in order to salvage or capture them. As such, I will continue using core drill references at any time that I would like.

The other problem is that pirates don't always care about money. They may, for instance, care about things like faction fleet size, the ability to steal, repair, and save a ship's blueprints under their own name for instant access, etc.

It seems like it's an attempt at removing the difficulty factor of the game far more than having a way of building designated repair areas. If designated repair areas existed, then they would also add in a method by which player/faction interaction is increased.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Still, I don't like that matter disappears into nowhere.

That is against the laws of physics!
    If the destroyed blocks wouldn't vanish, then why we would be able to shoot through them? It's against physics! :)
    The blocks would maybe turn into dust or plasma combined with scrap metal that follows the path of a damaged ship. Anyway - you should keep most of the materials, but require huge amounts of energy to re-create a whole block.

It would not be too laggy if you have a dust-object with density+radiusX+radiusY based physics instead of collide-able blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    rece ktore leczo Is this confirmation for "not being able to understand what he reads?"
    No... it's a confirmation of you not having the ability to read posts in context. Let me spell it out for you:

1.You are being shot at.
    2.Your shields go down and you start taking large amounts of damage.
    3.You try to run away to use the NRE.
    4.As the person is still in range he keeps shooting, killing you before the repairs can take effect.

Reaction score
    4. You use tricky flying and run behind a planet to divert his guns if possible, or dodge, which is very possible, long wide and short are perfect dodgers some times, they can use the Z and X to zip around while flying up,down, sideways.
    5. you manage to escape, possibly by doubling back on him, if hes a slow turner, and zip the other direction.

This nanite thing also supports more fighter over mothership, a fighter has less then 5000 blocks usually, so they can repair most of the ship with this, and use the double back method.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    4. You use tricky flying and run behind a planet to divert his guns if possible, or dodge, which is very possible, long wide and short are perfect dodgers some times, they can use the Z and X to zip around while flying up,down, sideways.
    5. you manage to escape, possibly by doubling back on him, if hes a slow turner, and zip the other direction.

This nanite thing also supports more fighter over mothership, a fighter has less then 5000 blocks usually, so they can repair most of the ship with this, and use the double back method.
    Every Ship can have the same acceleration, and they all have the same top speed... the turn rate is affected by both... I could go above the planet and my turrets would have coverage over everything... also... turrets would destroy a fighter, because all of that big ships shields would have time to recharge... if anything, this making it possible to fight a ship much larger than you makes this OP as fuck...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I think these could have their place, and Vyor, I think that you're being a bit harsh. It is true that they would not be terribly useful, but think about it like this.

Say you survived a flight, but only barely. You're at 12% HP, your power is browning out, your systems are in bad need of repair, so your acceleration is nil, and (because of the upcoming re-balance of top speed) so is your top speed. There are reinforcements coming to help you, but they won't make it there before the rest of the enemy fleet, alerted to your position, reaches you.

You have no place to hide, no backup coming, and no way to get anywhere. But you do have a store of Nanites. Extremely expensive, and time consuming to get ahold of, as they require lots of energy and blocks to make (1 nanite = 1 cubeatom, and stores the type. You need all the types to be able to repair your ship properly), only for emergency use, but now is definitely an emergency. You engage the repair system, which informs you it will take 34 minutes to fully repair the ship fully. You opt instead to repair just the thrusters and power gen - 2.5 minutes.

The enemy gets there 3 minutes later to find you gone, the nanites having finished their work half a minute earlier, and you fled the aria. Your ship is still in shambles, but at least you made it out alive.

Making them could be putting a block into a machine, providing a lot of power, and BAM, you have the nanites that correspond to those cubeatoms. Time consuming, power intensive, only advanced factions could do it. The tubes would be rare, and expensive. A last resort, expensive option. Slower than a dry-dock, or a good set of repair lasers, but always there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think these could have their place, and Vyor, I think that you're being a bit harsh. It is true that they would not be terribly useful, but think about it like this.

Say you survived a flight, but only barely. You're at 12% HP, your power is browning out, your systems are in bad need of repair, so your acceleration is nil, and (because of the upcoming re-balance of top speed) so is your top speed. There are reinforcements coming to help you, but they won't make it there before the rest of the enemy fleet, alerted to your position, reaches you.

You have no place to hide, no backup coming, and no way to get anywhere. But you do have a store of Nanites. Extremely expensive, and time consuming to get ahold of, as they require lots of energy and blocks to make (1 nanite = 1 cubeatom, and stores the type. You need all the types to be able to repair your ship properly), only for emergency use, but now is definitely an emergency. You engage the repair system, which informs you it will take 34 minutes to fully repair the ship fully. You opt instead to repair just the thrusters and power gen - 2.5 minutes.

The enemy gets there 3 minutes later to find you gone, the nanites having finished their work half a minute earlier, and you fled the aria. Your ship is still in shambles, but at least you made it out alive.

Making them could be putting a block into a machine, providing a lot of power, and BAM, you have the nanites that correspond to those cubeatoms. Time consuming, power intensive, only advanced factions could do it. The tubes would be rare, and expensive. A last resort, expensive option. Slower than a dry-dock, or a good set of repair lasers, but always there.
    I did post that before the reveal of the new health and speed mechanics...