Named cargo and cascading ship storage guide

Reaction score
    With the newest hotfix, we gained the ability to name up to 16 storage boxes per structure (ship/station/planet). Kinda meh, thinks you? Well, you're wrong. It's love. And now I'll teach you why.

First thing, you should ALWAYS set up ship's cargo in a cascading chain. What that means is that you have a box that pulls from every other box. With the new naming, I recommend calling it 'Collection'. You access the naming by opening the box and clicking the button that lets you name it. No problem.

Next box in the chain pulls from every other box but Collection. It doesn't need a name. You're never going to actually open it yourself. Third box pulls from all boxes but the previous two. And so on until you get to the last box.

The last box pulls from no other boxes. I name this one 'Deposit'. This is the box I dump my inventory into when I park in a pirate loot cloud.

Previously, this required either stopping completely and exiting the ship or going into build mode (or screwing up and exiting the ship while it's still moving which is always fun in a not at all fun kinda way). Thanks to the named cargo system, not anymore.

Now, you just hit 'I' to access your inventory. At the top of the screen, you'll see the menu. Click Ship. this will bring up a drop down menu. Click Cargo. It will now list the named storage boxes on your ship: Collection and Deposit. Obviously you want to click Deposit.

This opens Deposit and you can drag drop or shift-click your inventory over to that box. As you empty space, the remain items in the loot cloud will enter your inventory. While you're doing that, the cascade storage is pulling everything out of Deposit into the other boxes. It's even making nice neat stacks of each item type automatically. Like I said, love.

When you get back home, you can then unload your ship. The only box you need to open is 'Collection'. As you pull stuff out of it, it'll pull stuff out of all the other boxes. You can then haul it to wherever (I'd recommend a nice sorting warehouse on a home station, but that's just me).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There was previously a way to do it from the core as long as you memorized a couple of container coords. The new system of naming and a better drop down is amazing though.

Reaction score
    There was previously a way to do it from the core as long as you memorized a couple of container coords. The new system of naming and a better drop down is amazing though.
    Ya, I've been using the cascading cargo chain all along, so the new naming is great.