N00b ship of mine

Reaction score
    Does everyone do this on their first run out of the gate? Just seems if I need resources to sell, I should have a way to get them quickly, no?

Should've named my ship Unicron...

Now that I found a way to "eat" planets, what's the next step?

Attachments

Reactions: aceface

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Firstly, do you know about weapon / support computer linking?

Second, i'd build a station or claim a planet for a new automated factory plant required to process all of that.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A hint of advice, your power generation is inefficient :) Go for long lines or crosses, to maximize the bounding box of each connected group, while having as much air in the box as possible.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    A lot of ships when you first start out end up looking a bit like that. I typically use a smaller salvager and cherry-pick good stuff from asteroids these days. I slap on some turrets just in case then one small cannon. Munching a planet is nice but the processing of all that raw material is going to take a while. I'd find a station, pull it apart for scrap and then repair just a small portion of it then use the mining spoil to build it out. replace it all later with proper hull. Just as kupu said: Turn it into a factory and make it a faction homebase.[DOUBLEPOST=1417903893,1417903402][/DOUBLEPOST]A lot of ships when you first start out end up looking a bit like that. I typically use a smaller salvager and cherry-pick good stuff from asteroids these days. I slap on some turrets just in case then one small cannon. Munching a planet is nice but the processing of all that raw material is going to take a while. I'd find a station, pull it apart for scrap and then repair just a small portion of it then use the mining spoil to build it out. replace it all later with proper hull. Just as kupu said: Turn it into a factory and make it a faction homebase.

Reaction score
    A hint of advice, your power generation is inefficient :) Go for long lines or crosses, to maximize the bounding box of each connected group, while having as much air in the box as possible.
    Doh! I remember watching about that but it escaped me as I was building on to my starter ship. Just reconfigured it and now I can fire away without pause (except to reload)! :)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You've perhaps done the linking before, but just incase, here's a super quick guide. (i couldn't see a linked computer in your hotbar).

I'll spoiler it to stop a hijacking.

You can link one system to another to gain bonus attributes. For example we could link your salvage array to a cannon array and gain a higher rate of fire.

Heres how:

We start by placing our primary system controller (Salvage Computer) and it's corresponding module (Salvage cannon).

The orange and purple wobbling boxes show what is linked together. Orange shows the controller, purple shows the module.
    This happens automatically, but you can manually select and link by using C to select / deselect and V to link.

Repeat the same process for our secondary system. This is what will be linked, or "Slaved" to the "Master".
    Same order again, controller placed first, modules second. Pressing C on the controller ends the select / link mode.

Now for the last step. This is what gives our bonus. We simply select our primary controller (salvage computer) with C.
    This brings up our orange wobble box again, and shows the attached modules in purple.
    Now press V on our targeted secondary controller (cannon computer).

It shows the "Slaved" system in blue. To exit the selection mode, press C again on the salvage computer.

To check your newly modified system, have a look in the weapons tab (T).

To explore what link ratios and combinations achieve, take a look at this graph.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-simple-graph-for-weapon-linking.3751/

(Another useful tip, you can select stacks of modules at a time to be linked by pressing shift V on a targeted group of them.)

Hopefully this makes sense! If not, just say, i'll get someone more competent to explain it :D

I missed it on my first read through*, but now i want to make Unicron. Child hood memories flooding back to me. :D

*thought it said unicorn first time round, dyslexia ftw.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It seems to me like the OP is in the early fases kf the game. If that is thr case, linking is definitely not recommended, by me at least. Salvage modules are a lot cheaper than weapon modules, and only use generic materials.

The best way to start a game is to sell your first blocks to get a faction module, some more power reactor modules and salvage modules. Find a planet, land on it with a small ship and claim that system. Then, salvage as much as possible. You'll get a 12x bonus for mining in your own claimed system. The bonus only applies to resources, not rocks.

I also recommend get all tiers of factories as soon as possible, and lots of storages to go with them. Always keep your capsules, they are very important.
    Then, just look up the blocks you want and then get the resources that are needed yo craft them, if you haven't got them already.

Once you've got a steady income, you could either join a bigger faction if it is on multiplayer, or you can start making bigger salvage ships to completely strip most of the planet. I recommend using a cannon slave for salvaging planets and a pulse slave for salvaging asteroids.

There is a problem with larimar asteroids spawning though, so don't be surprised if you can't find any.

Reaction score
    You need larimars for shields IIRC, so you'll only have armor tanking, shields from shops, and pirate-salvaged shields.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or, you know, you could search for the resources on planets. But it's not as easy as mining asteroids, I'll admit that. I really hope that it gets fixed soon.