My thoughts on cargo and moving it

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I love the new Cargo system, I really do. That aside, I have one major problem with it.

There's generally no reason to bring cargo from Point A to Point B

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 exceptions.

1. Mining asteroids/planets and bringing them back to base.
    2. Trading resources between factions (which seems strangely rare to me)

It seems uncommon for a single faction to move processed material around within itself. I assume the reason for this is generally having no reason to own a second station, one that can't be your homebase.

Which brings me to a question: Is everyone ok with the current state of logistics in StarMade? I find myself wishing for a reason to build a dedicated cargo ship. But I can't find a practical use for a dedicated cargo ship. Is this simply a result of the environment I play in (PvP)? Please let me know if any of you have found a place for a cargo ship in your fleets on servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Most people I know, and most of what I have come across are single players or factions with only one station. Their home station.

I think until utilizing multiple stations is encouraged somehow, everyone will just end up using their invincible home base for everything. Why have a station that is attack-able, less convenient and gives no benefits to the players who built it?

As for trading, I think part of that has to do with resource distribution over the galaxy. IF you had instances where faction A had lots of blue asteroids for shields, and faction B has some other commodity, lets say over drive modules. And neither of them can get the materials to manufacture what the other faction has (at least not in large amounts) then they would trade.

Right now, faction A and faction B both have whatever they need, without having to Trade. Another point is that on a PvP server, you have to be careful about who you trade with, when you trade, and where you trade. The who, what, when, where, determine how risky the trade could be. Why risk losing all your stuff your trying to trade (and your transport) when you can just produce everything yourself.

That's my rambling 2 cents anyway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know right? Its like the game is missing large portions of intended content. You would think they were still programming it or something. Sheesh.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    OH forgot to point out with that post (as I was typing as I thought) was that most of the issues I pointed out ARE the things that the dev team is working towards fixing. If you remember their large post about what they are planning for the year ahead, its pretty extensive. And there does seem to be features that would solve this issue.

So, although your transports have no current use, they may well see plenty of future deployment.

Reaction score
    The first example you give is a pretty big deal though. No point in mining if you can't hold your haul.

And even if the player never needs dedicated cargo ships groups like the Trade Guild will still be flying around in them. So maybe players will want to engage in a bit of light piracy.