My ten cents (or 4,000,000 odd credits)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First, let me say that I absolutely love this game. I found it on steam greenlight, and admittedly thought it was just another minecraft clone. then I read the bit about full 3 dimensional movement, and player made ships of any size, and that made me at least give it a try. I fell in love with the game immediately, and am currently working on what, to the best of my knowledge, is starmade's first real megaproject. I'm building the flagship from star control 2. but, more about that in another thread. despite all my love for this game, there are a few things that nead addressing:

shops need to restock periodically:
    I really like the way that shops have a finite inventory, and a finite ability to stock any particular item. that said, as it is, once you buy all of a particular item, it's gone from that store forever. I don't know how many stores I had to clean out to get enough hull plating to start building the flagship, but it was time consuming. also, when new items are added to the game, none of the stores that exist already will have them in stock. What I am suggesting is as follows:
    have shops replenish their supplies of items periodically
    have inventory of existing items fluctuate over time (to simulate other people buying and selling items)
    if you sell the max that a shop can hold of an item, have their stock of it go back down over time
    finally, when new items are added to the game, either randomly assign stocks of it or, have them have none in stock initially because (this is my favorite of the options) they are new items and the shop must recieve its first shipment of them. I imagine this could be done by simply including a release date somewhere in each update, so the game knows how long it has been since the new items became "available"

powerhulls, ohhh my goodness, powerhulls...
    when i first started playing, some colors of hull were normal, some were powerhulls. then, powerhulls were temporarily removed, so everything was normal (and useless against missiles). now they have been put back in, but my hulls (which were previously powerhulls) remain of the normal variety. my entire flagship is made of normal hulls now, and a simple fighter with missiles could pretty much blow it in half. here is what i suggest:
    either give us some sort of utility to convert the blocks of a ship from one type of block to another (in game or not, doesn't matter to me)
    rework the block IDs so that the blocks which were powerhulls before (like the dark grey/black ones) become the matching color of the new powerhulls
    or give us some way to upgrade our ships' components at shops (i.e. pay to convert all normal hulls to powerhull)
    being able to pay for a full repair of a ship would be nice as well, especially since the most recent update inexplicably inflicted heavy damage on every glass block in my game, and i really don't wanna have to manually repair/replace every last one of them.

thats all i have for now, more later

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I don't agree with restocking shops, as shops that don't run out would defeat the purpose of Factories. Why would anyone bother crafting anything when they can just buy it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    at the same time he does have a point though, how hard is it to find 2000 of a specifc PowerHull, sure you can make them in the Factories but if you don't knwo any recipes or are just bad at using factories your doomed to never get more of an item unless you hunt down more shops which are spaced anywhere from 1 to 20 sectors away, and with your speed capping at 50 Kmh it would take a long time to find a distant shop if you had very bad luck with them. theres also the fact that some shops even when untouched will not even stock an item which means even longer searching.

currently what I do is build a ship offline with the items I need upload it and purchase it to get the items but that just feels more like cheating than restocking shops or ways to scavenge.

What they could do is create a delivery system which could solve all our issues, basicaly you input the items you wanyt to buy and the shop will recieve your list, and purchase the items from the nearest shops that have the stock, this way we can still use the finite shops but make it easier to buy from them instead of searching them out randomly, and after your list is filled which depending on the item amount could take lots of time(determined by the server) say like an order of 1-100 items take five minutes to deliver to you 101-1000 50 minutes 1001-10000 1 day

I forgot what else I wanted to add to this but I'm sure you get the general ideas, either useing finite shops or restocking shops, a way to seek out shops or order items would be nice in game

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    While the delivery system is preferable imo, That just means that one rich person can empty out every single shop within 100 sectors of them for a mega-project, instead of using factories to supply the pieces. And they could do the same to all the shops around spawn, with minimal effort.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I disagree with this Idea. Call me silly, but it seems to take away from an aspect that anyone can tell, that I enjoy a lot. Co-operation. With the way the shops are set up now, it makes the players affect the shop's stock. Meaning that if everyone bought all the Hulls, and never sold any they made, then there'd be no Hull stock. This means that players can then, end up selling the hulls they make themselves, at a price they wish, or they can sell to the shops to become the shop's providor, ect.
    Now, the way I will agree with this, is single-player games. In single-player games, where it's just you and a bunch of NPCs, then I completely agree that it'd be nice for re-stocking to happen, but only enough to simulate other players restocking the shop. AKA the items stocked, the frequency, and the numbers of said items, should be sporadic, and nearly random lol.

A good approach for Starmade in the long run [in my opinion], is to have the galaxy feel alive. Whether it's players supplying shops and changing the landscapes of planets/asteroids, or NPCs doing this, if the galaxy feels alive, there's more volume and weight behind your decisions/actions/interactions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I didn't mean so much that the shops would restock immediately, more that after a while (maybe an IRL day or two) they might start restocking some of their inventory. if they didn't do that, how would any of the shops stay in business. as for the whole "pay to get upgraded idea" of mine, the main thing is that factory is reaaaly buggy right now (for me at least, plus I'm not too keen on the idea of having to go around and manually replace each and every one of the (last time i checked) 7000+ blocks on my flagship with powerhull, now that they have been reintroduced. I really wish they would rearrange the block id's so that blocks that were powerhulls originally became them again (a good portion of my ships hull plating used to be powerhull (dark grey), but now it's not. so now I'm gonna have to shell out several million credits to the nearest shop that stocks them, which is not at all nearby.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    wow...I was waaaay off on the block count. make that 13,939 before i started any work on it today

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The ideas for mass hull repairs and block replacements are excellent. Hopefully we'll get more advanced building options at some point too, but being able to turn all of one type to another would be a huge step, and solve many different problems. I go back and forth about which missile type I like best, and that would make changing trivial (as long as they were all synched to the computer still...). Upgrading to powerhulls or changing the paint job would go from prohibitively time consuming to instanteous.
    Buying repairs would be a similar time saving measure; it should be pretty expensive, though, so that repair beams aren't obsoleted.
    The restocking issue is a tough question; I'd personally wait til more gameplay is in place to make a decision on thtat. Also, isn't item price eventually going to depend on shop supply at some point (giving players with factories incentive to sell items shops don't have, cause they'll be worth more)?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why not introduce a new structure altogether? Or add another piece for stations (though I prefer a lone, new station type rather than just a chunk added on to the existing general space station being generated. I think it would look and just generally be better as its own facility)
    Instead of just giving the block upgrading functionality to shops, why not add a new structure that can be generated : Shipyards
    Shipyards would inherit the ship buying functionality as well as get the block upgrading functionality. My other idea for them was that you can only build a ship with the editor in open space to a certain size, past that size you would need a shipyard. The shipyard could also give you more powerful construction tools, like line and box tool, as well as a symmetry function. It would make sense and give a lot more power to the player. While im at it, why not allow shipyards to fully repair hull damage for a price? Or, even fix destroyed hull pieces by using a saved blueprint of the ship. (Ex : You are in battle and lose some armor and a chunk out of your ship, go to a shipyard and you can pay it to use the blueprint you saved of your original ship to fix all the holes. I can see this being exploited in ways I won\'t elaborate on right now though).
    Anyone agree? Other thoughts?

Reaction score
    I love ALL of your ideas! I have the same problems! Who knows, maybe they will add these features sometime! :-D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The initial stock of hull is way too low to begin with. It should be in the hundreds or thousands instead of tens. I like the idea of traders guild NPC ships that restock (and can be raided) but actually have to fly around to do so.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think shops should restock, but at a rate of one item a minuet, something like that. Not too fast, or too slow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with DaJamalan.
    A restocking system would be nice but not too slow or too fast or it\'ll kill the pleasure of searching around the galaxys for ressources

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with restocking since you will run out of ores to make powerhull

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The shops need to be restock periodically:

Im trying to built a ship with 41 blocks x 41 blocks. ( A Square )

The material im using is hardened black hull or white. Now there isnt many in the shops so......... I kinda wasted many shops like that ^ ^. I would need atleast 6000 blocks.