My take on combat mechanics

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, here's yet another post regarding overall mechanics. Everyone seems to want a say in the matter of combat mechanics nowadays, so I thought I'd have mine. I'm trying to avoid introductions, so I'll just skip to the things I think need doing.

Making hull relevant

It's widely agreed that among the issues of this game, the utter uselessness of hull is one of the worst. Was it not for the aesthetic function, it would be worth neither the price nor the mass. To clarify my side in this, I don't think it should be able to sustain a larger ship for very long without shields, but neither should it's usefulness be limited to that scenario. As such, more tweaking than turning up it's Hp knob will be required for a desirable effect.

Firstly, shields would need to leak damage to motivate the use of a secondary line of defence. How large a fraction of absorbed damage that is leaked should of course be inversely proportional to the remaining shield percentage, starting at negligible levels but never exceeding a few hundreds until shields are fully depleted. It's important that absolute quantity of shield power has no leakage reducing effect in itself, as it would reduce the need for hull to increase in thickness along with the size of the ship it's protecting.

Secondly, hull would need to absorb damage differently. Enough firepower at a single area, even through shields and armor, should have small but not entirely negligible effect on whatever system is behind. Exactly how, I'm not sure. I've been thinking of a new kind of damage that doesn't destroy blocks, but does reduce their efficiency if they're system components, such as generators or shields. Whatever way this is implemented, a good hull should be important for reducing this effect, and the more damage it's taken, the more should get through. Exposed components should be rather vulnerable, and a hull breach should be a really, really bad thing. The game should probably make an exception for things that should be exposed, such as cannon openings and thruster exhausts, but I've got no idea how to define a mathematical criteria for that.

In any case, the above will hopefully give players a reason to actually use hull, and in multiple layers once their ships start to get larger. Hull hp should still be drastically increased, and even without shields, a capital's hull should be able to hold off a few seconds of focused fire from an equally formidable ship.

Come to think of it, this would also open for a new kind of distinction between explosive and non-explosive weaponry. While the latter should be good against shields, explosives should leak through to a larger extent, making them better for dealing direct damage while shields are still up.

Separating Capitals from fighters

Another core issue is that all ships are basically just glorified fighters. Kilometer-long, carrying smaller ones in hangars and with turrets strapped to the hull, sure, but the core mechanic is the same. I for one have seen too many capitals face off against each other in dogfights.

Considering how broad this issue is, I should probably try to break it down.

The interface is currently based in the same gui for all ships, with Wasd controls from an Fps view. A defining characteristic of capitals is that they have some form of command structure, even if it's only a captain giving orders to a computer that does the rest. Not a single person aiming the main weapons and piloting everything.

I'd say there's no single perfect capital interface. As long as it provides a 3'rd person overview of any situation or battle, autopiloting based on instructions (“Go to X,Y,Z”, or “park within a hundred meters of X ship”), and can accept commands regarding priorities (“Focus all left hangar turrets on ships within a hundred meters, prioritize by smallest size”) and actions (“Undock all shuttlepods in category C”), the needs will inevitably vary from ship to ship and player to player.

While I personally believe this should be a programmable aspect of ships, Schema could probably pull of a sufficiently large overhaul. Whatever way this is done, it should include something allowing players to control their ships without actually entering a block. Projecting a hud to the player's screen is quite acceptable, but in the end, they should be allowed the feeling of being physically present on their ship's bridge.

Maneuvering is rather ridiculous at the time. The way thrusters directly translate into thrust, combined with the dogfighter interface, means that any capability of maneuvering that's possible for a fighter, is equally feasible for a capital. Again, the game fails to set apart the two kinds of ships on a very important point. When fighters dodge shots, capitals chew them up, then some more, then return the favor.

The solution to this has already been implemented for shields, if possibly somewhat less drastically. I can't type the algorithm of the top of my head, but if I'm not mistaken, it made their efficiency in smaller scales inversely proportional to their quantity.

While this algorithm is indeed a powerful tool, there's also the question of where to use it. If applied in the current formula before mass is taken into account, it would essentially just nerf larger thruster arrays and and discourage their use.

However, if it was used in the conversion of thrust/mass ratio to actual acceleration, and a multiplier inversely proportional to the mass of the ship was added, the effect would be somewhat more complex. I'd make a graph, but I'm still trying to figure out the necessary tools.

Basically, for every quantity of mass, there would be an optimal capability of acceleration, and attempting to achieve anything larger would be at too high a cost of other capabilities. This would probably reduce the issue far more efficiently, but it would be very restrictive on ship building. This “optimal capability” would essentially be a hard cap on how agile a ship of a certain size can get, which while good for balancing, goes against the idea of a sandbox game. Not sure myself what would be the better choice.

Whatever solution is chosen, a new issue will arise. While capitals should indeed be less agile, when going from point A to point B, they should be faster. The current speed system does not make a distinction between these properties, as one's ability to accelerate is equal to one's ability to overcome air resistance, which is for some reason present in Starmade space. I don't really see this being solved without a major overhaul, such as the introduction of hyperspeed travel, which I'm not going to get into at the moment.

Force Projection would be greatly impaired by the above changes, rendering the current everyday fixed forward cannons mostly useless. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, that's not how capitals should work, but it does leave them with only turrets and fighters to distribute the poundings they're supposed to deliver. And, well, a quick look at the game will suffice to tell you this is currently not within their range of capabilities. The apparent solution would be to allow them to function more like extensions of their mothership, but exactly how can be discussed.

As for turrets, the obvious first steps are allowing ships to extend their shields and channel their firepower through them. Currently, this would eliminate the game's only element of aiming for vulnerable components, but I believe I just dedicated a section to taking care of that. Channeling firepower should have a significant penalty on the turning speed of whatever turret is doing it, to ensure it's not used against fighters and other craft relying on agility. Also, these turrets should be granted a near-immunity to damage leaks, or at least be assisted by their capital in absorbing them, as large amounts of hull aren't very feasible for such small things.

Fighters are a more complex issue. There's a lot of debate as to how powerful they should actually be, and I won't even try to please every side in this argument. Personally, I believe that fighters shouldn't play in the same league as capitals except in large swarms, but pose more of a threat when backed by a carrier of their own.

There are countless ways such backing could work, but a few concepts need to be put on the table.

Firstly, fighters should be able to act as bombers. As in, not just having a moderate missile array, but actually carrying and delivering capital-sized explosives from their carrier. A delivery system like this would have no need for tracking, and be able to reach areas without a direct line of sight, hopefully making it a viable alternative to regular missiles.

Then, there's partial sensor jamming, point defence and a few other things capitals could do for their agile minions, but those are fairly self-explanatory, and I'm trying to avoid details.

More general support, such as the remote boosting of fighters' shields and weapons, is not out of the question. However, that would introduce an entirely new field of balancing that may or may not be worth it.

It's worth noting that little of the above would work without a major enhancement of the current Ai and interface elements. Things such as making sure firepower is only channeled through turrets with a line of sight to the target, having fighters re-dock to load new explosives and aiming for specific areas of ships are not currently among the capabilities of automated systems. Again, I think this is the kind of thing we should be allowed to program ourselves, but also again, schema could probably create something that works decently and universally.

Overall quirking

The above changes would hopefully reduce the conceptual issues of combat, but a set of more specific issues would remain. While perhaps equally significant, they'll hopefully all fit in a single section of text. Most notably, two things need eliminating:

Scattercannons. We've all seen them, and hopefully, few have enjoyed the sight. Usually dozens, sometimes hundreds of arrays, spitting out projectiles in ridiculous quantities, and somehow obliterating all that gets in the way.

I'm not certain as to how this will be affected by the upcoming weapons overhaul, but having no grounds for speculation, I'll assume things don't get better.

Getting rid of this will probably require a combination of nerfing them and buffing the alternatives.

Buffing the alternatives should be rather easy, with changes such as excess damage upon the destruction of a block being forwarded to adjacent ones, a partially exponential increase in firepower when adding new blocks to an existing array, and an accelerating AM production rate that resets upon firing.

Nerfing the scattercannons themselves is somewhat trickier, as it should not be allowed affect small cannons in general, only clusters of them. Possibly, hits could induce a slight damage reduction in nearby blocks against shots from the same ship, preferably one that stacks exponentially in both potency and persistency.

This would encourage slow rates of fire as well as keeping your firepower in as few arrays as possible. The effects of the damage reduction should not be noticeable until there are at least half a dozen cannons firing, perhaps more for larger ships, as they can only get that massive before a larger number of main cannons becomes a necessity.

Core drilling. An unfortunate element of combat. You take down your enemy's shields, and a decent salvo to their ship's centre will eliminate them. This is another issue that would probably be reduced by the changes in the hull section, but in the end, the concept remains.

This is probably among the most difficult things to fix, as the core and it's function is a very fundamental mechanic, both gameplay- and code-wise. Still, I really don't see this being solved without the core being wholly redefined, so that's what I'll have to suggest.

Firstly, it would have to be a removable block. Or at least, destructible without taking the entire ship with it, or the delay imposed by the current self-destruct mechanic. It's function as the centre of the ship would have to be taken over by the actual mass centre, but the ship could remain dependant on it's presence to operate. In light of the damage mechanic changes, this might not keep going for the core as the best option for crippling a ship, as a few unshielded hits to an exposed main generator could be equally effective.

As usual, sorry for taking your time.

Reaction score
    I have a hull idea that at least seems stable to me. When a ship is built, the system splits the hull in to groups, with a maximum of 10-10-10 block units. When one of these hull sections is hit, it takes health out of the overall unit. For example, say my destroyer has 3 block thick hardened hull. As I run to engage my target, my shields go down, and my hull begins to take hits. I get hit in one section that is 10-10-3 thick hardened hull. The total damage received subtracts from the overall health of the hull section, ergo this section of hull has 120,000 hit points, but when that runs out, damage can pass through the hull section uninhibited. For all you \'that\'s too much possibility for abuse\' people, the maximum possible health for one of these sections would be 400,000 hit points, which seems reasonable considering the handicap that you would take from all of that extra mass. For the whole problem with AMC arrays, either limit the amount of AMC groups per weapon computer, or, don\'t have AMCs automatically converge on the crosshair, and add a targeting laser that takes time to lock on. Please note that lasers and missiles should ignore the armor system, and it should only affect mines, pulsars, and cannons.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    How does this relate to my post? It would appear to be an entirely separate idea....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Firstly, shields would need to leak damage to motivate the use of a secondary line of defence. How large a fraction of absorbed damage that is leaked should of course be inversely proportional to the remaining shield percentage, starting at negligible levels but never exceeding a few hundreds until shields are fully depleted. It\'s important that absolute quantity of shield power has no leakage reducing effect in itself, as it would reduce the need for hull to increase in thickness along with the size of the ship it\'s protecting.

People don\'t like damaged 16+ side blocks like wedges and corners on their nice looking ship.

Do you know http://star-made.org/content/fluid-armour-compromise-between-hull-and-shield-heat-sinks-fluid-tanks? It works like shields, but takes permanent damage.

EDIT: Although shipyards will work too.

Enough firepower at a single area, even through shields and armor [do you mean hull?], should have small but not entirely negligible effect on whatever system is behind.

True. But I don\'t know if there is a solution to not make it lag with 2 million block ships.

Hull hp should still be drastically increased
    • even without shields, a capital\'s hull should be able to hold off a few seconds of focused fire from an equally formidable ship.

Weapons will always scale linearly, but the bigger your ship, the more surface area you have the more a single piece of hull becomes worthless.

While capitals should indeed be less agile, when going from point A to point B, they should be faster

Max speed should not be limited by a fixed number, but thrust:weight. I have (localhorst) 25% dampening and 1000 speed and it works fine (But core, 2 energy and a big 3D-+ with thrusters give me 300-400 and let me glitch through 2 blocks of free stations).

If we call everything above 100 (=100% lightspeed) Warp, it would not be a glitch, but a warp-feature which let small ships penetrate thin hull and damage ships from the inside.

Just enable a second dampening + speed limit for those who exceed the first.

There could be big \"FTL Taxi\"s as Thrusters and power generation gets more efficient with size.

But these ships are not made for combat. You don\'t want all your money put into these fragile setups! (Once economy is fixed) And you are not able to attack a somewhat fortified base with it where weight of a lot more but cheaper hulls does not matter.

The current speed system does not make a distinction between these properties, as one\'s ability to accelerate is equal to one\'s ability to overcome air resistance, which is for some reason present in Starmade space.

We will get afterburners. Core acts as power tank for small ships while bigger ships need it separately. It is a lot harder to hit a small ship (compare maxSpeed/diameter of ships and you will see)

As for turrets, the obvious first steps are allowing ships to extend their shields and channel their firepower through them. Currently, this would eliminate the game\'s only element of aiming for vulnerable components, but I believe I just dedicated a section to taking care of that. Channeling firepower should have a significant penalty on the turning speed of whatever turret is doing it, to ensure it\'s not used against fighters and other craft relying on agility.

Just decrease the turn speed the bigger the turrets are. Make only sqrt(turret-number) attack one target at any given time and multiply received damage and required power (vs shields) on turrets by number>1 if the shield/power comes from the carrier.

Firstly, fighters should be able to act as bombers. As in, not just having a moderate missile array, but actually carrying and delivering capital-sized explosives from their carrier. A delivery system like this would have no need for tracking, and be able to reach areas without a direct line of sight, hopefully making it a viable alternative to regular missiles.

A small fighter should carry 1-million-block bombs? I guess you mean Anti-capital-explosives.

I would cloak/jam my bombers. They don\'t need more than 1 shield block, don\'t need hull nor weapons. Just explosives, a jammer and cloaker.

Then, there\'s partial sensor jamming, point defence and a few other things capitals could do for their agile minions, but those are fairly self-explanatory, and I\'m trying to avoid details.

Again, I think this is the kind of thing we should be allowed to program ourselves, but also again, schema could probably create something that works decently and universally.

Something that works universally don\'t add a challenge. Neither it adds diversity. \"The big invincible Borg-Cube\" Version 2 :)

Scattercannons. We\'ve all seen them, and hopefully, few have enjoyed the sight. Usually dozens, sometimes hundreds of arrays, spitting out projectiles in ridiculous quantities, and somehow obliterating all that gets in the way.

Buffing the alternatives should be rather easy ,... a partially exponential increase in firepower ...

Nerfing the scattercannons themselves is somewhat trickier, as it should not be allowed affect small cannons in general, only clusters of them.

NO. No exponential increase!!!

Strength = Damage * Range * (1/Reload) * HitProbability(Speed). If you double one, you should be required to double your array size -> Makes shields last for some time.

Instead we should create a pulsor-bubble around large objects which affect other objects of similar size (LAG-sized stuff). To nerf scattercannons on big ships. Small cannons are still effective.

VS fighters, just let only a few turrets fire at a single fighters and nerf their turn speed based on weight. Scattercannons are already weaker because of slower shots - buff this weakness?

It\'s function as the centre of the ship would have to be taken over by the actual mass centre, but the ship could remain dependant on it\'s [the core] presence to operate.

+1

+1

+1+1+1 How many can I give?

In light of the damage mechanic changes, this might not keep going for the core as the best option for crippling a ship, as a few unshielded hits to an exposed main generator could be equally effective.

If a block of some grid gets killed, just disable the whole AMC/power/thrust/shield(?) grid for a few seconds.

That should be enough of a penalty - depending on size and ship setup - and may even reduce LAG.

WOW. Another hour of my day is gone ...

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    shields would need to leak damage ... inversely proportional to the remaining shield percentage ... never exceeding a few hundreds until shields are fully depleted ... as it would reduce the need for hull to increase in thickness along with the size of the ship it\'s protecting.

People don\'t like damaged 16+ side blocks like wedges and corners on their nice looking ship.

Well, it would of course have to be implemented alongside with better automated repair mechanics, such as shipyards, but I thought that was outside the scope of \"combat mechanics\". Also, with those cut-outs in the quote, the last sentence ends up lacking vital context.

Enough firepower at a single area, even through shields and armor [do you mean hull?], should have small but not entirely negligible effect on whatever system is behind.

True. But I don\'t know if there is a solution to not make it lag with 2 million block ships.

Yes, I do mean hull.

I believe it could be done without causing much more lag than current missiles. In fact, I have thougt of a system that should handle this rather well, but it would have interrupted the flow of the text.

Hull hp should still be drastically increased

• even without shields, a capital\'s hull should be able to hold off a few seconds of focused fire from an equally formidable ship.

Weapons will always scale linearly, but the bigger your ship, the more surface area you have the more a single piece of hull becomes worthless.

Well, yes, that is something of an issue...

While capitals should indeed be less agile, when going from point A to point B, they should be faster

Max speed should not be limited by a fixed number, but thrust:weight. I have (localhorst) 25% dampening and 1000 speed and it works fine (But core, 2 energy and a big 3D-+ with thrusters give me 300-400 and let me glitch through 2 blocks of free stations).

If we call everything above 100 (=100% lightspeed) Warp, it would not be a glitch, but a warp-feature which let small ships penetrate thin hull and damage ships from the inside.

Just enable a second dampening + speed limit for those who exceed the first.

There could be big \"FTL Taxi\"s as Thrusters and power generation gets more efficient with size.

But these ships are not made for combat. You don\'t want all your money put into these fragile setups! (Once economy is fixed) And you are not able to attack a somewhat fortified base with it where weight of a lot more but cheaper hulls does not matter.

The current speed system does not make a distinction between these properties, as one\'s ability to accelerate is equal to one\'s ability to overcome air resistance, which is for some reason present in Starmade space.

We will get afterburners. Core acts as power tank for small ships while bigger ships need it separately. It is a lot harder to hit a small ship (compare maxSpeed/diameter of ships and you will see)

I may just be tired, but I fail to find much coherence or relevance to the quotes in this section.

Then, there\'s partial sensor jamming, point defence and a few other things capitals could do for their agile minions, but those are fairly self-explanatory, and I\'m trying to avoid details.

Again, I think this is the kind of thing we should be allowed to program ourselves, but also again, schema could probably create something that works decently and universally.

Something that works universally don\'t add a challenge. Neither it adds diversity. \"The big invincible Borg-Cube\" Version 2 :)

Not sure how the upper quote has anything to do with this... But yes, that is why I prefer programmable systems.

Scattercannons. We\'ve all seen them, and hopefully, few have enjoyed the sight. Usually dozens, sometimes hundreds of arrays, spitting out projectiles in ridiculous quantities, and somehow obliterating all that gets in the way.

Buffing the alternatives should be rather easy ,... a partially exponential increase in firepower ...

Nerfing the scattercannons themselves is somewhat trickier, as it should not be allowed affect small cannons in general, only clusters of them.

NO. No exponential increase!!!

Strength = Damage * Range * (1/Reload) * HitProbability(Speed). If you double one, you should be required to double your array size -> Makes shields last for some time.

Instead we should create a pulsor-bubble around large objects which affect other objects of similar size (LAG-sized stuff). To nerf scattercannons on big ships. Small cannons are still effective.

Alright then. No exponential increase. As for the rest, you\'ve lost me again... This is why I avoid details.

It\'s function as the centre of the ship would have to be taken over by the actual mass centre, but the ship could remain dependant on it\'s [the core] presence to operate.

+1

+1

+1+1+1 How many can I give?

Well, at least I did something right.

In light of the damage mechanic changes, this might not keep going for the core as the best option for crippling a ship, as a few unshielded hits to an exposed main generator could be equally effective.

If a block of some grid gets killed, just disable the whole AMC/power/thrust/shield(?) grid for a few seconds.

That should be enough of a penalty - depending on size and ship setup - and may even reduce LAG.

Seconds? Direct hits through neither shield or hull to systems should have effects more along the lines of a permanent crippling.

Reaction score
    I like your idea of having a different interface for the commanding of larger ships.

I was thinking of limiting the amount of weapons a single computer could handle to 25 (or even less?). This would take care of the scatter cannons and would introduce the need for a crew that can control more weapons simultaneously. Both additional players and the upcoming NPCs should be able to do this job, maybe via a new cockpit/core like block that would be dedicated to another set of weapons computers and similar stuff. And maybe that feature will also come in the next update, since we will be able to \"give commands to\" them.

These new stations could also be dedicated to specific tasks like repair or energy support, increasing the support capabilities of carriers.

Reaction score
    idea was offering another possible solution to the hull problem. As you thread is titled as a discussion on combat mechanics, I posted thoughts relating to a topic that you discussed. I fail to see how it is anything but on topic, and I feel that it is better to add ideas for consideration than pick apart your original post piece by piece in order to assert that my idea beats your idea and that you are my intellectual inferior. If you would prefer that, I can, but I\'d rather have a discussion about it, or even better, mold them both together to make a mystical thought being of doom. But that\'s just my opinion.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, if you it like that... I apologize, it would appear I missunderstood you.

And yes, I do prefer discussions over debates.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, with those cut-outs in the quote, the last sentence ends up lacking vital context.

Sry for that. Maybe I tried to much to not make my post so long that it takes 10min to read :)

Alright then. No exponential increase. As for the rest, you\'ve lost me again... This is why I avoid details.

If big ships have to stay at distance (half of length?) Weapons with shorter range (a large part of turrets, scattercannons not directly at the side you are facing the enemy) will have no chance.

Seconds? Direct hits through neither shield or hull to systems should have effects more along the lines of a permanent crippling.

The blocks still get destroyed. Less shield grid/power/weapons mean, you will lose more in progress - you need more small redundant things, not a single large thing.

I though about every time an AMC array get hit and the system has to re-calculate the array strength/size and a possible split, it would explain the LAG of scattercannons vs big AMC-grids or similar. If the whole grid gets disabled for 5-15 seconds (and the grid re-calculation delayed) there would be much less calculations. Dunno how big the benefit would be, it mostly depends on implemention and kills/second (higher with scatters vs an 20^3 AMC block).

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Also, with those cut-outs in the quote, the last sentence ends up lacking vital context.

Sry for that. Maybe I tried to much to not make my post so long that it takes 10min to read :)

Or to little. That sentance was anyway of no relevance to your statement.

“Seconds? Direct hits through neither shield or hull to systems should have effects more along the lines of a permanent crippling.

The blocks still get destroyed. Less shield grid/power/weapons mean, you will lose more in progress - you need more small redundant things, not a single large thing.

I though about every time an AMC array get hit and the system has to re-calculate the array strength/size and a possible split, it would explain the LAG of scattercannons vs big AMC-grids or similar. If the whole grid gets disabled for 5-15 seconds (and the grid re-calculation delayed) there would be much less calculations. Dunno how big the benefit would be, it mostly depends on implemention and kills/second (higher with scatters vs an 20^3 AMC block).

Granted, such hits would still be a bad thing, but considering the high potential for redundancy, it wouldn\'t be at all as devastating as I believe it should. I suppose I\'m just going after standards set by fiction, but after a direct, entirely undampened hit to a ship\'s main generator, that generator should no longer function...