My take on a new ship building/spawning system

New building system, yes, no, or maybe?

• We should be able to spawn in ships whenever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I agree the system needs a change, but I have my own ideas.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So I was sitting on a server one fine morning, and I was happily spawning in ships left and right so that I could destroy them in weapons testing. While I'm sitting here spawning these things in, I realize that I am virtually creating matter out of thin air.

The ability to create matter out of thin air, and I'm using it for target practice instead of ending world hunger or some noble shit like that.

As I sat there contemplating the fact that I could simply will a battleship into existence right above an enemy base, I realized a recurring issue- nothing meant anything because ships were easy as crap to get.

Now, I understand this is a planned feature and the devs might already have a plan on how to go about it, but I came up with my own idea to remedy this problem.

What I propose is a new set of blocks, the construction site computer, the construction enhancer, and the construction site block. The blocks would be set up like ordinary docking units, and would create a box. That box would represent the maximum size ship possible to be built there. They would link to the computer, which would act as the UI. Now, what you would do is you would go over to the computer, and it would bring up the blueprint menu when activated. Usable blueprints would be highlighted in green, and blueprints too large to fit the box would be red. You would choose from green blueprints, select either a buy or a buy with blocks option, and the ship eould begin to be built layer by layer from the front to the back, much like a 3D printer.

But let's say your ship is 1000 blocks long and you want to speed up the process. To do that, you would use the enhancers, which would require a large amount of power per block, have a softcap of a #&*!@ percent increase, and would generally speed up the time it takes to build.

Using this system, there would be a legitimite need for a base, people wouldn't be able to spawn in some titan over an enemy base, and the process to do so would be prohibitive to the practice, spawning in large ships would not cause as much server lag as it does now, and the system adds a lot more depth to the game, bringing it one step closer to beta.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, this is a great idea, although I have seen it before, or at least similar things. Needs more bacon, though :/

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Pretty sure something along the lines of shipyards like this is planned.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As much as I like it, but there should still be a possibility for targeting practise.

Maybe you could enter a virtual reality (yes, a new layer of virtual reality inside the virtual star made universe) which uses already existing mechanics and allows players to fight each other without sacrificing ships.

It could be a clone of existing things in sector x+hugeNumber, y, z without auto-spawned shops, planets or anything else around. It would not replace the original / real ingame world, as it only lasts as long as you are logged in and is completely isolated from players which did not enter at the same time.

The point of it is:
    * Challenge a friendly ship or base for fun or comparision without starting a war or destroying another one's work.
    * Constructing new ships with infinite (backup/restore inventory) blocks and inventory slots
    * Weapon testing
    But I think the far more important part is to be able to repair your ship with lower efforts.
    How can we balance hull resistance if you need 10 hours to repair damage from a simple collision (or at least a hour).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I think that you're just going overboard about a game. If you wanted to solve world hunger you surely wouldn't be doing so on starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think that you're just going overboard about a game. If you wanted to solve world hunger you surely wouldn't be doing so on starmade.
    Alas the real world's admin decided to use buy with blocks in the server config so Debris' method of solving world hunger is faulty.

FlyingDebris What about vertical ships? Will your idea use only the z axis to decide build time or merely the longest axis when building? The idea has been done before but specifics are what define the best idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I liked the idea when I first saw it on the old site, and still like it now. Still think a drone silo should be possible with enough materials (enemy attacks your base and gets swarmed by ships from the shipyard, should be small enough to make quickly.).

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You know, the server Tethys does not allow the catalog, so ships actually are prized for their costs and the effort they take to build. You should try it out.
    But yes, this is a pretty decent suggestion. Good thinking