My second IMO balanced config, this time for crafting

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What I changed:
    • All glass now only uses 1 metal mesh and 12 crystal capsules.
    • Hull now only ever uses one metal mesh and 60 rock capsules in total.
    Not a lot of changes, but they are noticeable when you build large objects.
    The config is in the zip. Just replace the old one with this. I would recommend making a backup just in case.

Edit: Feel free to suggest changes. I will update this from time.

Attachments

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What do you think about making water and warp blocks non-physical (walk-through)?

Why do you not provide a diff file? It can merge into existing and further updates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff
    Scroll down to the unified format first :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The universe update is coming still. I'll wait for everything to be implemented completely first.
    I'll look into the diff file.

Edit: Could you please help me out with the diff file? I don't understand what to do.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just to "diff -u original new" with installed diff programm (should be default on unix systems or accessible via packet-manager) and downloadable for windows.

Use the "unified diff" format (with the -u parameter)

If you use a different program, try "programName -h" and "programName --help". With Linux you can also try "man programName".

I guess the command to apply the patch is "diff --merge original patch"
    Code:
    [amdin@amdpc ~]$ diff --help
    Usage: diff [OPTION]... FILES
    Compare FILES line by line.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
      -u, -U NUM, --unified[=NUM]   output NUM (default 3) lines of unified context <<<<< maybe set to something that includes prev or next block name
      -y, --side-by-side            output in two columns
      -W, --width=NUM               output at most NUM (default 130) print columns <<<<< maybe set to something like 3 to decrease output size
      -b, --ignore-space-change       ignore changes in the amount of white space <<<<< you can use it. makes no 
      -B, --ignore-blank-lines        ignore changes where lines are all blank <<<<< you can use it. makes no difference in xml, but may reduce output file size
      -I, --ignore-matching-lines=RE  ignore changes where all lines match RE
          --speed-large-files  assume large files and many scattered small changes <<<<< you can use it

--help               display this help and exit
      -v, --version            output version information and exit

FILES are 'FILE1 FILE2' or 'DIR1 DIR2' or 'DIR FILE...' or 'FILE... DIR'.
    If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILE(s).
    If a FILE is '-', read standard input.
    Exit status is 0 if inputs are the same, 1 if different, 2 if trouble.

Report bugs to: [email protected]
    GNU diffutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/>
    General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
    [amdin@amdpc ~]$
    To apply the changes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)
    patch requires only the diff/patch-file as parameter as this file already defines the file name to patch (blockBehaviourConfig.xml in our case)

Code:
    [amdin@amdpc ~]$ cd Star-made-folder-path
    = "C:\\...\StarMade\data\config\" (windows)
    or "/users/username/StarMade/data/config" (linux)

Changing directory to ...

[amdin@amdpc ~]$diff - b -u oldfile newfile > blockBehaviourConfig.diff

Crates a file called blockBehaviourConfig.diff next to blockBehaviourConfig.xml

[amdin@amdpc ~]$patch < blockBehaviourConfig.diff

apply patch

[amdin@amdpc ~]$patch -R < blockBehaviourConfig.diff

undo patch

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is it easy for people to copy/paste? If it isn't, I won't change the file in this thread. I will try to make a diff file regardless, because it will be much easier than having to change every single value.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you can provide this file every new update (when block config or block behaviour config changes), providing an additional diff is just about 1% to 5% more effort.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can you recommend a program for windows?

Edit: Are there any other changes you would like to see? I'm thinking of changing hp according to the size of the block, but that would just ruin the balance for crafting, so I'll wait until we can say that we get better conversion recipes (you can't get more than one block per crafting recipe, and with more than one I mean that if you were to want two wedges per hull block, there would be no config option for that).
    And the water I will change once you can find it in the world, but I won't change lava, because it just is better not to fall down to the planet core.

Edit 2: And this isn't called my second for nothing, there is another (which was a lot more work!), and I would like to hear your opinion on that one. This config was just for people who wanted crafting for glass and hull to be easier (it would have been thrusters too but they already changed them), and the other one is for the balance of the weapon effects on beams (salvage, power drain/supply, shield drain/supply and the astrotechnician). It might need some more changes for the shields. I couldn't test them (I tested everythng in single player), and other things like the power drain might be either underpowered, overpowered or use too much energy.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe WinMerge (dunno, got it from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff#Free_file_comparison_tools )

Windows programs often have both functions - create and apply a list of changes. While Linux prefers them as bundle.

As much as I like the first thruster to be easy to access, I think it is much more important that systems are balanced by cost, not by space they take...
    ... thus I can't help you here.

What about ores giving 10 capsules? shouldn't that be defined somewhere? Should this not also be usable for wedges?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Basically no one except NeonSturm, Megacrafter and me would know how to use it.
    Then it's time for a tutorial.

It is a really useful thing even if you just load the file in your browser to quickly list the changes which are made to the file you download with the other link.
    It is also good to keep your edits during changes of the default file while also allowing changes of different peoples to merge together.

Really useful and maybe the fundamental thing to install config-mods (with a nice interface glued together with a copy of the tutorial made by us in the forum), accessible over the launcher.
    Maybe I am a bit optimistic here, but please let me! :)