My first ship(s)!

Reaction score
    Hiya,

So, I'm just about a week new to the game, and I just kinda threw myself headlong into a creative world and started tinkering about with shipbuilding. I thought I'd share my first ship with you all so that I could get a bit of feedback (and so that you can have a good laugh at them, of course!)

I've classified these ships based on a classification system I came up with myself, but, please, let me know if there's any kind of universal classification system that gets used in the community!

(oh - by the way, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Shipyard section, please could a mod stick this in the right place if it's not already? :confused:)

Anyway. Here's my first ship design, the Advantage-Class Destroyer:

H-1 Advantage angle shot.png
    H-1 Advantage
    So, here it is...H-1 Advantage, my first ship! She's 121m long, 16m tall and 31m wide, and she has a mass of 793.3. She's not very well armed, only having 3 twin cannon turrets, nor is she very well armoured, the main body being built from hull, with blue standard armour plating covering some sections.

I played around with the Advantage-Class design a bit (attempting to make the hull less box-y, refitting her armament, etc). This is as far as I've got:

H-6 Archway angle shot.png
    H-6 Archway

of the 7 different Advantage-Class ships I designed, Archway is probably my favourite. Her hull was redesigned to look a bit sleeker and less like an interstellar box, her armament was improved (I think the original turrets suited the hull a little better, but the new turrets deal more damage and are better armoured) and a quad-barrelled AMS turret was mounted behind the main A-turret. Archway is 1m longer and 2m taller than her sisters, and has a mass of 969.7.

the Advantage class sisters!.png
    Advantage & Archway
    Overall, I think the Advantage-Class is, in all honesty, a bit crap, but I like them all the same :^D. But, please, if you have any feedback that you think might improve her, or even just for future reference, by all means leave a comment!

while I'm at it, here's my current WIP, the Prince Louis-Class Cruiser:

C-1 Prince Louis.png
    C-1 Prince Louis
    For all intents and purposes, the Prince Louis-Class cruisers are just bigger, badder Advantage-Class destroyers. At 248m long, 22m tall and 43m wide and with a mass of 2487.3, the Prince Louis-Class is about twice as long as the Advantage-Class.

C-1 and H-6.png

She also boasts considerably more armament; 4 twin cannon main batteries, 3 twin cannon secondary turrets, 4 twin damage beam secondaries, 2 quad-barrelled AMS turrets, and 6 twin-barrelled AMS turrets.

I think Prince Louis is a fairly decent improvement on the Advantage-Class Destroyers aesthetics-wise (even though a lot of the armour plating hasn't been done yet and she's incomplete from the bridge backwards!) . She's a lot less of a box, although she is still too flat in some places. Also, I might redo the engines on her, I think they might be a bit disproportionately small to the rest of the ship.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to have a look at my ships, and please feel free to give me some pointers in ship design!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Looking good so far (you aren't joking they are your first ships, are you?).

Some critics, though:
    1) Blue areas are a bit undeveloped. Look quite boring.
    2) Grey areas are better but could use some small detailing too. Heat vents, pipes, grates, etc. To help with future projects, you can store such minor details as templates via adv build mode (just copy and save)
    3) The turrets are pretty weak for the ships of that size and their location is rather uneffective. Also, it is a great idea to have negative elevation angles on turrets, especially on PD turrets. That makes them missile-shredding beasts.
    4) Not too maneurable due to length. But this is not your fault, that's game code limitation. Actually, long ships should be MORE maneurable ;)

Also, could you upload those PDs from H-6? They look GORGEOUS! Or with H-6...

P.S.
    You can apply for whitelisting on a Cake Build Server with these ships, btw. They'll easily get you through. And CBS is the main StarMade's build server and is full of building experts you can learn from.

Reaction score
    I'm digging the Yamato 2199 -esque style you have going on there. Way better then my first few ships! And I'd second applying to get on the Cake Build Server whitelist, it's a nice chill place to build, hangout, and steal ideas---ermmm:whistle: get inspired by other player's builds. Love to see you on sometime! :)

Reaction score
    That is more than a good start
    I suggest just looking around in the shipyard section, steal goods ideas and then mix with your own ideas to find your own style.

Reaction score
    Looking good so far (you aren't joking they are your first ships, are you?).

Some critics, though:
    1) Blue areas are a bit undeveloped. Look quite boring.
    2) Grey areas are better but could use some small detailing too. Heat vents, pipes, grates, etc. To help with future projects, you can store such minor details as templates via adv build mode (just copy and save)
    3) The turrets are pretty weak for the ships of that size and their location is rather uneffective. Also, it is a great idea to have negative elevation angles on turrets, especially on PD turrets. That makes them missile-shredding beasts.
    4) Not too maneurable due to length. But this is not your fault, that's game code limitation. Actually, long ships should be MORE maneurable ;)

Also, could you upload those PDs from H-6? They look GORGEOUS! Or with H-6...

P.S.
    You can apply for whitelisting on a Cake Build Server with these ships, btw. They'll easily get you through. And CBS is the main StarMade's build server and is full of building experts you can learn from.
    Thanks! I see what you're saying in regard to the lack of details, I'll definitely play around with adding some finer details!

Oh, and here's the link to the PD: Quad-AMS Mk. 1B , feel free to improve on it ;)

I'm digging the Yamato 2199 -esque style you have going on there. Way better then my first few ships! And I'd second applying to get on the Cake Build Server whitelist, it's a nice chill place to build, hangout, and steal ideas---ermmm:whistle: get inspired by other player's builds. Love to see you on sometime! :)
    Ha! Funny you should mention Yamato 2199 actually! The Prince Louis-Class was loosely based off the Royal Navy's Nelson-Class Battleships, another WW2 design! I'll definitely consider jumping on the Cake Build server, sounds like fun!

Reactions: Tamren Shade

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Hiya,

So, I'm just about a week new to the game, and I just kinda threw myself headlong into a creative world and started tinkering about with shipbuilding. I thought I'd share my first ship with you all so that I could get a bit of feedback (and so that you can have a good laugh at them, of course!)

I've classified these ships based on a classification system I came up with myself, but, please, let me know if there's any kind of universal classification system that gets used in the community!

(oh - by the way, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Shipyard section, please could a mod stick this in the right place if it's not already? :confused:)

Anyway. Here's my first ship design, the Advantage-Class Destroyer:

View attachment 44758
    H-1 Advantage
    So, here it is...H-1 Advantage, my first ship! She's 121m long, 16m tall and 31m wide, and she has a mass of 793.3. She's not very well armed, only having 3 twin cannon turrets, nor is she very well armoured, the main body being built from hull, with blue standard armour plating covering some sections.

I played around with the Advantage-Class design a bit (attempting to make the hull less box-y, refitting her armament, etc). This is as far as I've got:

View attachment 44759
    H-6 Archway

of the 7 different Advantage-Class ships I designed, Archway is probably my favourite. Her hull was redesigned to look a bit sleeker and less like an interstellar box, her armament was improved (I think the original turrets suited the hull a little better, but the new turrets deal more damage and are better armoured) and a quad-barrelled AMS turret was mounted behind the main A-turret. Archway is 1m longer and 2m taller than her sisters, and has a mass of 969.7.

View attachment 44760
    Advantage & Archway
    Overall, I think the Advantage-Class is, in all honesty, a bit crap, but I like them all the same :^D. But, please, if you have any feedback that you think might improve her, or even just for future reference, by all means leave a comment!

while I'm at it, here's my current WIP, the Prince Louis-Class Cruiser:

View attachment 44762
    C-1 Prince Louis
    For all intents and purposes, the Prince Louis-Class cruisers are just bigger, badder Advantage-Class destroyers. At 248m long, 22m tall and 43m wide and with a mass of 2487.3, the Prince Louis-Class is about twice as long as the Advantage-Class.

View attachment 44763

She also boasts considerably more armament; 4 twin cannon main batteries, 3 twin cannon secondary turrets, 4 twin damage beam secondaries, 2 quad-barrelled AMS turrets, and 6 twin-barrelled AMS turrets.

I think Prince Louis is a fairly decent improvement on the Advantage-Class Destroyers aesthetics-wise (even though a lot of the armour plating hasn't been done yet and she's incomplete from the bridge backwards!) . She's a lot less of a box, although she is still too flat in some places. Also, I might redo the engines on her, I think they might be a bit disproportionately small to the rest of the ship.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to have a look at my ships, and please feel free to give me some pointers in ship design!
    If those are your first ships, I have a feeling you're going to do very well at this game. I too am digging the Yamato look. Looks good! Keep it up! (y)

Reactions: Scratchmort
    Reaction score
    If those are your first ships, I have a feeling you're going to do very well at this game. I too am digging the Yamato look. Looks good! Keep it up! (y)
    Ha - I hope so! At the moment my biggest problem is that the power systems in the ships are horribly inefficient, but I guess I'll have to redo it after the power update anyway, so I guess that's not a HUGE problem :-p