My Builder Classification System

Reaction score
    I've been playing Starmade for about a year now, and I've recently reflected on my progression as a builder and it's led me to develop my own classification of builders. My system is based of the skills and abilities a builder has acquired. This is by no means official, and I'm open to suggestions, but here it is...

Level 1
    As a level one builder you are able to build a ship with power, thrust, and maybe a weapon system. Most builders stay in this stage for about their first 2 hours of Starmade game play, maybe you know how to use hull and shields, but for the most part your ship is just able to move you around.

Level 2
    As a level two builder you've mastered the basic systems, but you haven't quite figured out linked systems. You are able to surround your vessels in hull, you might even start to pre-plan some of your ships, but for the most part you're not really focused on ascetics. A level two builder probably has yet to build a ship past 50-75 meters, and still doesn't know how to use advanced build mode.

Level 3
    As a level three builder you've started to think about the shape of your ships, and you might've even put a small interior on one of them. Your ships also probably have varying hull colors and the occasional wedge. At this stage you are probably building ships over 50m and you may of discovered some of the advanced build mode functions.

Level 4
    As a level four builder you have a basic understanding of docking, but you probably haven't built a turret yet. Your ships have an interior and some wedging, but they still look blocky. You might have a hanger on one of your ships and you've probably discovered linked systems, but logic still mystifies you.

Level 5
    As a level five builder you probably just built your first fully wedged ship, you also now think about the look and shape of your ship before you build it. You also have probably built your first turret, but it probably doesn't have two axis of rotation yet. You also can comfortably build a ship over 100m using most of the advanced build mode functions, and you're probably experimenting with ships over 200m. Your interiors are decent, but a little plain, and probably don't have much depth or creative lighting. This is the stage that most Starmade players are at.

Level 6
    As a level six builder you are just starting to experiment with basic rail logic like doors and maybe a two floor elevator, but you still have to constantly refer to a youtube tutorial. At this stage most of your ships look like how you envisioned them to look like, you interiors still aren't super, but they're interesting. In this stage you also can build turrets with two rotational axis, and you probably have played around with slabs in a useful manor.

Level 7
    As a level seven builder you have mastered basic rail logic, like doors, and basic platform elevators. You also have been experimenting with the other logic blocks like delays and such. In this stage you have a full mastery of color and wedge shaping, and you probably feel comfortable uploading your ships to the Starmade dock.

Level 8
    As a level eight builder you are able to incorporate various logic functions into your builds, you can build complex logic doors and elevators, as well as blinking lights and other logic functions. You know how to use all the advanced build mode functions. You can also slab your ships effectively, you also can build a detailed interior with creative use of color and depth. Your ships don't feel like they are lacking in any way, and have complete shapes with effective use of detailing and negative space. In this stage your not quite a master builder, but your are very comfortable with building in Starmade, and you feel like you could effectively build anything you envisioned.

Level 9
    Not every builder can make it to level nine, were as the other eight are achievable for all builders with the right amount of time and practice, level nine requires an X-Factor, that the others do not. To be a level nine builder you have to be innovative in some aspect of Starmade, whether it's inventing some new type of logic function, or developing some new ship design practice, or building something no one has ever thought of before. Level nine builders are innovators, they have probably played the game since pre rail times, and possess incredible design ability.

Master Builder
    A Master Builder is in the top 99.999% of Starmade builders. They only way to describe a Master Builder is that you'll know one when you see one. They are incredible builders, they are artists that use blocks as their medium.

I hope this post was beneficial to the dock, please tell me what you think of my builder categorization system.

Last edited:
    Reactions: greatmatt

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    These are too subjective for me to take remotely seriously, especially your definition of master builder. Master builders generally excel at different facets of the game. I'd recognize certain engineers to build masterful ships that work at the most optimal level, updated with the latest tech. I would also consider other artistic builders to be great at Aesthetics, such as Raiben or Dalmont that don't necessarily make ships that are most combat effective.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    The system is indeed quite subjective. It is relatively well thought out however it does not cater for the non-linear progression of ship construction skill. Often builders can excel in one part of the game without being good at other elements.

Also, there are quite a few very innovative players who are not fantastic at building ships/stations. I must also agree with Spoolooni in the fact that Master Builder is something that doesn't necessitate an all-around 100% perfection but is sometimes awarded to shipwrights for overcoming all expectations in one part of ship construction (as well as not having any obvious faults).

But good effort regardless.

Reaction score
    That's why I left my definition of a master builder vague and nonspecific, so that it covers any builder who has mastered any aspect of the game, the only way to really define a master builder is that you know one when you see one.