Muting players

Reaction score
    I think I'll be on a roll when it comes to "administrative tools for servers" soon.
    Anyway, I would love to see some sort of "/mute_player" command, where it prevents the player from talking in chat. It doesn't have to be a variable that is saved, but simply remembered for the server session (until the server is shut down).
    I have a few players who seem to have no respect for others, and I would love a way to shut them up while not going for anything as serious as a ban.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Heh, I've had no screechers so far thankfully but I fully agree that this should be at least an option. Or at least the ability to modify their pitch for giggles.

I did try and patent a keyboard that could be remotely electrified to deal with screechers but the office said some mumbo-jumbo about 'yoo man rights' or some crap. +1 support.

Reaction score
    I support this; I'd also like the ability to /ignore players. You can't hear what they say and vice versa.

For those moments where someone starts spamming swears and obscenities and there's no admin online.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    +1
    I'd like an ignore players function as well. Obviously, a player won't be able to ignore an admin, but for player-to-player level global chat this is a must.
    Hell, I'd go so far as to put a range limit on global chat, so someone can't talk to / annoy You unless they were near you. something like 15 km. That'd pretty much stop global chat spam right there.

Reaction score
    Overall here, I think we can all agree that the chat system could do with a bit more work. While it's nice to have features such as private and faction chat, sometimes you just want a way to make a player shut the f**k up.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Andy has already told me before that the chat system is getting an overhaul at some point, so this could be added :D

Reactions: Eelviny
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hell, I'd go so far as to put a range limit on global chat, so someone can't talk to / annoy You unless they were near you. something like 15 km. That'd pretty much stop global chat spam right there.
    I don't think it's good idea. It would drastically limit contact with other players on the server, cutting down number of interactions between them. Global chat should be, well global.
    But the range limit could be nice for chat tabs like "local" or "faction". Local could have hard limit of certain distance, while faction chat would be limited by sensors placed by certain faction, so it would be easy to cripple enemy faction communication by destroying theirs sensors.
    And it would be awesome if the stations could automatically send messages to the faction chat about any neutral/enemy ship flying near them, like "enemy ship spotted, sector X Y Z"

Back to the topic - muting and ignoring certain players are pretty needed tools in Starmade, hope they will be implemented :)

Reaction score
    I don't think it's good idea. It would drastically limit contact with other players on the server, cutting down number of interactions between them. Global chat should be, well global.
    Of course, when it comes down to these things, it wouldn't make sense to make them hard-coded and the default. But, it's always great to have the option to. Anything that allows more choice and variety in servers should be considered.
    For example, include a chat range option that when set to a negative number, would be global, and leave it as the default.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Of course, when it comes down to these things, it wouldn't make sense to make them hard-coded and the default. But, it's always great to have the option to. Anything that allows more choice and variety in servers should be considered.
    For example, include a chat range option that when set to a negative number, would be global, and leave it as the default.
    Of course the values of chat ranges should be customizable :) But if we had i.e. local and global chat, then local one should have range limit, while global one should be visible for every player, at least these are my preferable settings for the servers.
    The main reason, imo, of spamming global chat is/would be to have conversations with few players which are in different factions, so it could be solved with implementing a way to create chat rooms (with some range limit).

therimmer96

Reaction score
    No,
    TLDR people who have no respect deserve to be banned. That is what it is there for. Admins need more backbone it sounds.
    no, but some people don't think spam requires a ban from the server, just chat, but with out this feature, we have to resort to a ban. Also, admins have lives too, do the ignore feature would help there.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    No,

no, but some people don't think spam requires a ban from the server, just chat, but with out this feature, we have to resort to a ban. Also, admins have lives too, do the ignore feature would help there.
    promoting ignorance in the community is not advisable. If someone has no respect I.E they are told to stop and do not, they do not deserve to play on that server. It is really that simple.

On Topic I am supporting moderator level commands / admin command permission groups.

Exhibit A - you /ignore a problem player, he begins to troll as he is ignored and then gets banned anyway so why bother ignoring him when it will cause escalation by that player.

Players that spam or have no respect as the OP puts it, seek attention and as such if you ignore them it only serves to make the problem worse.

Also it means that you don't know what they are saying. This can only be done by either:

1. Admin - disables chat for the player
    2. player - filters out that players chat

Either way makes zero sense due the reasons/scenario's listed above.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    promoting ignorance in the community is not advisable. If someone has no respect I.E they are told to stop and do not, they do not deserve to play on that server. It is really that simple.

On Topic I am supporting moderator level commands / admin command permission groups.

Exhibit A - you /ignore a problem player, he begins to troll as he is ignored and then gets banned anyway so why bother ignoring him when it will cause escalation by that player.

Players that spam or have no respect as the OP puts it, seek attention and as such if you ignore them it only serves to make the problem worse.

Also it means that you don't know what they are saying. This can only be done by either:

1. Admin - disables chat for the player
    2. player - filters out that players chat

Either way makes zero sense due the reasons/scenario's listed above.
    How would he know he is being ignored? It wouldn't tell him. And maybe someone wants to ignore someone maybe not spamming, but talking a bit much, or in a different language. Not doing anything against the rules, but annoying to certain players.

Muting a player could be used like a kick. A temporary punishment to show that the admins do not tolerate that behavior and are not all talk. A ban would just mean that the person is no longer allowed on the server, something no admin wants. The idea is to teach them that it is not acceptable, and you are not a pushover.

Reaction score
    So it makes no sense in the situations that you listed, but what about these below?
    1. New player repeatedly begging for ships/credits.
    2. Random player logging online with a chatbot to repeatedly spam "DICKS".
    3. One player kills another, the other player proceeds to rail on said player. (with or without ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS.)
    4. Several players engaging in a debate in a controversial subject. And by "debate" I mean screaming at each other in ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS while making comments on each others' mother, genitalia, and sexual orientation.
    5. Chat is scrolling by too quickly due to high server traffic making keeping up impossible. If only there was some way to block some players who don't contribute much...
    6. Players talking about their personal lives. Bragging about "how many girls I nailed" is annoying, but is it worth banning?

I can keep going.

And please don't tell me you're expecting an admin to be on at all times.

Feeding trolls is the last thing you should be doing. That's what makes them act up in the first place. If anything I'd like things like Hellbanning to be in place so we can lock problem users in their own personal hell.

(Hellbanning is when a player is put on a global ignore list, they can chat, they can see other players chat, but no one can see theirs).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So it makes no sense in the situations that you listed, but what about these below?
    3. One player kills another, the other player proceeds to rail on said player. (with or without ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS.)
    4. Several players engaging in a debate in a controversial subject. And by "debate" I mean screaming at each other in ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS while making comments on each others' mother, genitalia, and sexual orientation.
    5. Chat is scrolling by too quickly due to high server traffic making keeping up impossible. If only there was some way to block some players who don't contribute much...
    6. Players talking about their personal lives. Bragging about "how many girls I nailed" is annoying, but is it worth banning?

I can keep going.

Feeding trolls is the last thing you should be doing. That's what makes them act up in the first place. If anything I'd like things like Hellbanning to be in place so we can lock problem users in their own personal hell.

(Hellbanning is when a player is put on a global ignore list, they can chat, they can see other players chat, but no one can see theirs).
    This! This! Oh Glob this!
    I was going to pretty much make this list, but it would seem War dog Has His shit straight.

Tomino: Get out of Your ivory server admin tower and try looking at things from a player perspective. When I'm playing online, I'm cool with some off-beat chat banter (And also the source of it usually), but I'm not cool with..... Well, EVERYTHING War dog just listed. Seriously, this list is "Hey, Schema needs to see this" worthy.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    Muting is a perfectly acceptable form of punishment.
    For those who think that a player should be banned for simply not having respect, then we differ on views there. If I find a player who actually goes and breaks someone else's stuff, then a ban applies, but for a bit of attitude? I would lose all credibility for banning someone for that.
    But, while you may not agree on what the mute is used for, it is useful in many more situations. Keep to the topic here: having an option to mute a player. Not on what I may or may not use it for.

Reaction score
    I support this; I'd also like the ability to /ignore players. You can't hear what they say and vice versa.

For those moments where someone starts spamming swears and obscenities and there's no admin online.
    Fully agree with this, but the 'mute' should only last till the player logs out, so when he logs back in everybody will be unmuted. This to prevent ppl from forgetting who they muted or needing to implement a system that keeps track of it.

I've seen players spam the hell out of the chat with the most annoying things when admins are offline, nothing you can do against it and they can continue going on for quite some time.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    They should be helped. Learn to admin. Get better Moderators. If you don't want to help players, that's fine but its a poor service to a community. Rules are explained. That's it.

This is an obvious Ban. It not even worth mentioning

Both players are warned. repeat offenders are kicked, then banned if they proceed with this behaviour. All ban are 30 days with half reduction for "good behaviour" or it becomes permaban. How many slots do you have? compare that with the number on your whitelist. If you have no whitelist you might reconsider that. Unless it's too hard to manage.

4. Several players engaging in a debate in a controversial subject. And by "debate" I mean screaming at each other in ALL CAPS FOR EMPHASIS while making comments on each others' mother, genitalia, and sexual orientation.#
    They are warned and if they continue. Kick. Then Ban. Same as the above. For the same reasons. All reasons stated are ground for immediate ban. Read a Forum Eula sometime.

This makes no sense but I will assume you mean a lot of chat is on the screen. You can actually scroll down and it stops new chat until you release the mouse. I have never seen this to be a problem because spammers get kicked. then banned. etc.

Yes it is worth banning. If they value playing on your server they will abide by your rules. again. you have more players trying to join thatn you have slots. Why would you want those kinds of players. There are plenty of "Chaos" servers they can troll on, for everything else there is single player.

I can keep going.
    I fear that you continue as you raise little to support the idea that ignoring someone makes the problem go away. Just read that and listen to it out loud.

Yes I do. Get more admins. Thats what you should be doing already.

Arbitrary use of terminology is meaningless. You have the ability to ban and all the example you give are ground for that. If you want players and don't care how they act, don't expect them to respect your rules.

Permaban is by IP and starmade account.
    Ban is temporary
    Kick is a wake up call
    Change_sector 1000 1000 1000 can actually help a lot
    you could try actually taking some time to do speak with these players as often they are feeling ignored which causes thie kind of behaviour.

Treat the Symptoms?

or Cure the Cause?

I can't be an advocate of any anti-social tools / lazy admin commands. Which is what any "player_ignore" is.
    If you ignore them they will eventually leave. So why not kick / ban in the first place.

If you can't take those decisions maybe you need some admins that can.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This! This! Oh Glob this!
    I was going to pretty much make this list, but it would seem War dog Has His shit straight.

Tomino: Get out of Your ivory server admin tower and try looking at things from a player perspective. When I'm playing online, I'm cool with some off-beat chat banter (And also the source of it usually), but I'm not cool with..... Well, EVERYTHING War dog just listed. Seriously, this list is "Hey, Schema needs to see this" worthy.

A decent Admin team would kick any player for all the infractions described. Try coming to our Ivory Tower before making assumptions about how we run things. All the players that come here complain about weak and lax admins at the previous homes. Hey we love getting new players so no worries from us, but I like to try to improve the game if i can not make it a worse place for new players. thanks.

Muting is a perfectly acceptable form of punishment.
    For those who think that a player should be banned for simply not having respect, then we differ on views there. If I find a player who actually goes and breaks someone else's stuff, then a ban applies, but for a bit of attitude? I would lose all credibility for banning someone for that.
    But, while you may not agree on what the mute is used for, it is useful in many more situations. Keep to the topic here: having an option to mute a player. Not on what I may or may not use it for.
    Muting is acceptable in a voice server. Not on the game server. It doesn't solve anything. That has nothing to do with credibility. We take our "problem players" to one side and many have "reformed" and become "valuable members of the community".

If anyone:
    * Spams
    * abuses players
    * uses a chatbot
    * all listed above

That = Ban.

it's basic moderation. If you will ban for griefing and we all agree this is a more serious offense then I ask you why would you not?

Last edited: