Music improvisation

Reaction score
    It would\'ve been a bit more clear if you did, I understand now :)

EDIT: but you could\'ve at least commented on my track, because that is what I made this thread for in the first place.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Agreed,

I tend to do better with ambient stuff like that. Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated.

Anyway, as I said, if anything comes of this, I would have no problem contributing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have one more which may be suitable. I think it could work as a planetary track maybe. It\'s got a tension to it and some background \"alien\" sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/rattlingnapkins/thermal-visions

It\'s a little 80\'s, and a little John Carpenter, but hey, nothing wrong with either of those right?

Reaction score
    Make a variation of the track with the following things:

-Remove the monster sounds, or at least remove the intrusive high treble ones.

-Add a light but noticeable chorus to the background organ-ish chords, and increase the volume of it (1 dB or so)

-Add some wind noises, maybe (preferably) as replacer for the monster sounds (noise sample with some reverb/delay and perhaps a light flanger)

-Maybe make the bass drum slightly softer, I\'d say about 1.0-2.0 dB.

Try, might turn out nicely :)

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Based on your ideas and problems with the 1st version, here is the 2nd version of my ambience track. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejl0r7zvlhjtop/namelessstarmadesong2.ogg

Reaction score
    It\'s heading into the right direction!

The trick with reverb is, to make it last long, and to mix it around 30-40%, usually 30% is fine. I don\'t know what you use to make this though, if it is Ableton Live I can help out lot.

Regarding the drums, you might want to use different samples, or make your own using noise synthesizers, although, applying the above reverb tip on them should improve them a lot too. They are basically too sharp and bright for what you are using them for.

The background harmony is good now, but will benefit a lot from the reverb tip above.

Reaction score
    An attempt at making something rather calmer, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51891186/StarMade/Starmade3-2.mp3

Pretty much a raw concept still, had posted it somewhere else as well, but felt it would do better on my own thread.

Reaction score
    That track is excellent.

I\'ve been working on something along the same lines. Being primarily a jazz musician myself (You\'ll be able to hear some of that in the music when I finish it), I\'m only starting to dabble into this kind of music.

I\'ve found that any kind of a 9sus4 chord (1-4-5-b7-9) creates a sort of \"suspended\" effect that allows either the root or the fifth to be used as a tonic. It\'s quite a cool sound, and the track I\'m creating is entirely based off of that chord.

I use Live 8 as well, it\'s great, isn\'t it?

Reaction score
    Definitely great, fell in love with it right away the first time I used it, using it for a good while now, it\'s kinda incredible what you can do with the built in analog synthesizer alone.

I\'m not familiar with the technical terms you are using though, might be jazz/guitar related?

Anyway, looking forward to your piece!

Reaction score
    Thanks!

Yeah, it\'s taken me YEARS to learn everything there is to know about chord qualities. The point is, the chordal sound I\'m using makes it sound like it\'s in C Major and G Minor at the same time (Although it\'s really in F!).

I don\'t actually play guitar. I\'m a saxophonist by trade, but I play piano and bass (upright) secondarily. What MIDI keyboard do you use with Ableton?

Reaction score
    I use the Cakewalk A-300 Pro with Ableton Live, works like a charm, only a tad small though, but a nice one to put on the desk:

I might get a larger one from Yamaha for practice and inspiration, this one is just too small. Got two pretty old Casios right now for that, but they are starting to fall apart as of lately :P

Reaction score
    I kinda think this music goes with anything, but it might at least make a good RPG-style Trailer for StarMade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgYqiOjc4Q

It has a sort of open, preparing feeling to it, even when it\'s over.

INB4 copyright argument.

Reaction score
    Alright, here\'s a VERY VERY VERY ROUGH draft of my track.

There are a couple of wrong notes in the 2nd piano solo that I have to fix, and I have to come up with an ending.

It starts out with a little bit of a sus chord on the piano, then the synth and bass come in and establish the groove. A piano solo follows, then a little break, before the tempo relaxes and the piano comes back in with the main melody. Then the strings come in with the same melody and play for one chorus before another piano solo comes in, plays for about 2 choruses, then fades out. Again, I need to come up with an ending!

Tell me what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lpzgyhfzj1h86v/StarMade%20Track%20%231.ogg

Reaction score
    It\'s definitely not bad.

I don\'t think an ending is necessary, fading out like this is a good idea, kinda like the music in Minecraft for example.

I dislike the synth instrument you used, not sure if I can properly describe why, but it seems too short/sharp/flat for what it\'s trying to do, maybe because it is a draft and all, I don\'t know, but I would love to see it get some more sense of space, and some more precision perhaps.

You should finish this concept of yours, see how it turns out,

Reaction score
    As far as the \"sense of space\", I\'ve considered adding a whole second section (Possibly in a different key) to the arrangement that has a more open, less clustered feel to it and uses a different voicing to do so. I flopped back and forth considering not even using a synth at all for that rhythmic pad, and using pizzicatos on a string section instead. It might or might not work. I\'ll find out.

I also think I\'m gonna want to re-record that first piano solo and remove the tempo change, keep it steady throughout.

Anyways, I\'ll post the new version when I finish it.