Multiple Spawn Points

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, Odra, Lecic, a few others and I were having a discussion about undeathinators, and it came to mind (In the form of me screaming into the chat) that players should be able to have multiple spawn points.

Basically, players can activate multiple undeathinators (Perhaps 5 or so, to keep things simple) and upon death, they can select one of the undeathinators. We were discussing this in the terms of them being allowed on ships, which has not happened yet, however the idea was that if a ship was moving, or did not have enough power, a player could not spawn and the undeathinator would show up as unable to spawn. For those that are able, perhaps ~1mil power per spawn to keep fighter sized craft from spawning in players.

Perhaps for the GUI, it could include a sector, name of the object, and whether or not it is under fire?

As for the spawning itself, this setup would keep people from spawnkilling each other, or at the very least make it much harder to do so, due to the fact that players can select a different location to avoid the spawnkiller.

As an excuse to not have players spawning in on quickly moving ships, something which could lead to errors beyond count, it could be displayed that the something beam/ray/whatever cannot lock onto the ship, and it is unsafe to clone there.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow! You lot really put some thought into this! Needless to say, this is something that I have wanted for some time now (it's one of those things you only know you wanted when someone suggests it, I only knew now, haha!). Really great suggestion. Can't think of anything bad right now. The only thing I'm not sure about (and judging by what you wrote you're notsure either) is whether or not PlexUndeathinators would work on ships. Maybe we could have them only on capital ships (if the capital ship systems still are going to get implemented).

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Updated OP with more ideas and an excuse for why you can't spawn on a moving ship (Spawning on a moving ship would be a technical nightmare, from my basic understanding of coding)

Reaction score
    This would be over powered. What would stop me from just killing my character to move large distances very rapidly? If I had a massive factory and a heavy duty salvager, I would just set a spawn point on each to teleport between the two.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    A fee based on how far away the spawn is?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would be over powered. What would stop me from just killing my character to move large distances very rapidly? If I had a massive factory and a heavy duty salvager, I would just set a spawn point on each to teleport between the two.
    Dying does also cost a percentage of your credits, and, on some servers, your blocks.

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You'd also only be able to carry yourself and whatever few items that don't get eaten up by dying. Besides, with the warp drives/gates, it is far more practical to use those instead of suiciding repeatedly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, it wouldn't be a technical nightmare. You'd just need to get the person spawned aligned/in gravity to the ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Actually, it wouldn't be a technical nightmare. You'd just need to get the person spawned aligned/in gravity to the ship.
    Aligned would probably be the best choice. Not all ships have gravity like expected. There might be vertical ships where the people walk up and down the ship on the "walls"

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The way I look at it, when a ship is moving, the coords of the spawn point are always changing. In order to keep the player spawning in the right place (and not immediately being thrown out the back of a moving ship) there'd have to be failsafes, which would take up quite a bit of coding.

Reaction score
    Dying does also cost a percentage of your credits, and, on some servers, your blocks.
    Some servers have credit banks, and I could have a station where I store all my blocks before engaging in InstaTravel by death. Therefore, I could avoid that cost.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well then we just should have that suiciding won't allow you to pick your spawn spot, but it will instead send you to your last activated spawn point. If that doesn't work, it will send you to the one activated before that, and so on.

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I remember correctly, server plugins should preferably adapt to the game, not the other way around.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Some servers have credit banks, and I could have a station where I store all my blocks before engaging in InstaTravel by death. Therefore, I could avoid that cost.
    Or you could just set up a warp gate? You'd even get to take credits and blocks with you using that. It's not like you can just spawn at any undeathinator, you still need to manually activate it. You don't need a big gate to go through with a core or a small plex storage skid.

Reaction score
    I'd like to make my ship a warpgate, so I could fly through stuff and send it home. Enemy ship giving you a problem? Fly through it and send it to your homebase turrets for an attitude adjustment.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't know if this can be a good thing in the default game (lots and lots of opportunity for griefing and other forms of abuse), but ship-mounted warpgates would be a lot of fun for a lot of different minigames, lag and structure-registration failures notwithstanding. I'm thinking galactic football.

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks for the idea, time to steal it.

Now, I realized that people can already use suicide as a way to get back to their homebase instantly, however I have rarely seen anybody do that. Besides, you've got to be a special kind of stupid to somehow get really far away from your spawn without a core, or to salvage your entire ship just to get back quickly. I think you're overestimating these risks.