Multiplayer Server crashes when crertain People join

Reaction score
    Hello,
    i have experienced an interressting issue with a Multiplayer server and was curious if any of you had experienced something simillar and may even know how to fix it.

Me and soem friends where running a small multiplayer server to test some stuff before doing this on the regular server we usually play. We are all have the current Starmade version installed and are able to play.
    However we noticed that when one of my Friends tries to join the game the Server itself crashes just before he would get the Spawn button.
    The server diplayed th emessage tha the had logged in and he could see the game graphics, but instead ot the "flying around" you get before you hit the spawn button he said he was "falling" down and then everything freezes.
    We noticed that this would happen EVERY time he tried to log in. Everyone else could log in to the server normally.
    He then changed the userneame to spawn as an other/new character this allowed him now to log in normally.
    We guessed that the sector he was in might have been corrupted, but as the same issue happened to another one of us a short while later made this unlikely, as he was right next to me when we logged off, as it was still working. After we had then started up the server again and tried to log back in later he was too experiencing the same issue: crashing the server right before he got the Spawn button.

So a corrupted sector is unlikely as i still could log in normally.
    Is there a possibillity the "characters" got corrupted?
    If yes is there a way to repair them?
    Or has any one of you experienced something simillar?

And as i am not a native speaker please excuse any bad grammar or spelling.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Are they spawning in the same sector as you? sometimes sectors get corrupted or a thing in the sector gets corrupted meaning everytime it loads it will crash the server, so you need to wipe the sector if this is your case. do this by importing a blank sector there.

Reaction score
    In case that happens again, please provide the relevant excerpt from the server's log files.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think that it is likely that sectors are getting corrupted by a bad blueprint, or something of that sort.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I think that it is likely that sectors are getting corrupted by a bad blueprint, or something of that sort.
    from experience of this bug from my server and from chatting with the elwyn admins, it seems caused by the asteroids. it would seem if one is nudged too far from its origin point (I believe to be exiting the sector), the server will try to load it, and get confused and render this sector unloadable. Other sector ruining bugs include oversized factories, ships on planets and various other nasties

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    from experience of this bug from my server and from chatting with the elwyn admins, it seems caused by the asteroids. it would seem if one is nudged too far from its origin point (I believe to be exiting the sector), the server will try to load it, and get confused and render this sector unloadable. Other sector ruining bugs include oversized factories, ships on planets and various other nasties
    Report that to AndyP and get that on the bug list. ;)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Report that to AndyP and get that on the bug list. ;)
    Done many times over skype. i have sent him like 30gb worth of logs for different bugs from Havoc :)

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    wow, that's a lie, like the cake =)
    I only have a few logs, not 30gig, but okay :P

This login-crash seems to be part of corruption, but as there was no sure way to trigger it on purpose and most of the time the users could not give info about the surroundings they logged out, there is no way to reproduce it or find the cause and fix it.

- Andy

therimmer96

Reaction score
    wow, that's a lie, like the cake =)
    I only have a few logs, not 30gig, but okay :p

This login-crash seems to be part of corruption, but as there was no sure way to trigger it on purpose and most of the time the users could not give info about the surroundings they logged out, there is no way to reproduce it or find the cause and fix it.

- Andy
    Oh, well I had a 30gb log folder from this error when I turned on the setting. I thought I sent them to you.

Get the user to delete their client-database folder. That holds the cached blocks the client sees. That is how I fixed this issue when it was a visual error.

Reaction score
    Well i now too think it might be because of some sort of corruption.
    I logged out in a sector we confirmed to be corrupted and then i got the error (crashing the server) as well, however i found a what to... well at least allow the Charakters to log in again.
    I renamed the players 2 files in the database folder, which "resets" them as if they were new players.
    Not perfect as they loose everything but better than beeing unable to log in at all.

So what can i do about corrupted Sectros? Remove and repopulate? ad the Repair sector command did not seem to do much.
    And any way of saving the ships and stations in these corrupted sectors?

Additionally, does anyone know a tool or editor with which i can browse and edit the ".ent" file of the database?

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Well i now too think it might be because of some sort of corruption.
    I logged out in a sector we confirmed to be corrupted and then i got the error (crashing the server) as well, however i found a what to... well at least allow the Charakters to log in again.
    I renamed the players 2 files in the database folder, which "resets" them as if they were new players.
    Not perfect as they loose everything but better than beeing unable to log in at all.

So what can i do about corrupted Sectros? Remove and repopulate? ad the Repair sector command did not seem to do much.
    And any way of saving the ships and stations in these corrupted sectors?

Additionally, does anyone know a tool or editor with which i can browse and edit the ".ent" file of the database?
    Import a sector over it, Just chose a blank sector, export it, then import it over the corrupted one