Multi-Output Weaponry

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Something I've desired for quite some time is the ability to designate multiple firing points on weapons. I've finally taken the time to think about how it might be done, and I feel I've got a good idea for how to handle it.

When designating outputs in astronaut mode, instead of it simply using only that block it will instead bring up a menu, with a "OUTPUT #[insert number here]" box, along with a list of outputs already on that weapon. From here, you type in which output the weapon is. If it's an unclaimed output, it'll designate it without complaint. If the output is taken, a little warning will pop up confirming you want to override the previous output. Weapon attributes (Damage, Reload, Speed, etc) are divided by the number of outputs, since you're now fireing more projectiles/beams per weapon.

It'd also be nice if you could choose whether outputs are simultanious or staggered. I'll explain with an example: Say I've got an AMC with eight outputs, labeled 1-8. I can, once I'm controling the ship, bring up the weapons menu and select, say, outputs 1 and 5, and tell them to fire simultaniously. Then, I can tell outputs 2 and 6 to fire simultaniously AFTER outputs 1 and 5. Then I tell outputs 3 and 7 to fire simultaniously after 2 and 6, and follow the pattern with outputs 4 and 8. By defualt, weapons should all be set to fire simultaniously, since any algorithm used to determine firing order will probably mess up horribly.

So, what do you think? Would you like to see this in the game in some form, or would you rather have one output for one weapon? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
    I really do think this would be a handy little thing to have in there, not too much of an essential mechanic, but we all love having more options when making our ships now don\'t we. Hope this gets noticed, come on people, take a moment to give this a bump.

-Ryu

Reaction score
    One of the things I like about the current game is that large/complex weapon systems actually takes some thought. I\'m not sure it\'d be a good idea to allow mindless zombies to slap down a 10*10*10 cube of cannons and select any/all outputs they want (and remove most of the challenge of designing ships).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Keep in mind, each time you add an output, you\'ll divide the weapon\'s attributes. You\'ll actually get a weaker projectileif you split one ten-block cannon than if you have two five-block cannons.