Multi-language localizations

Reaction score
    • Foreign Community
    • Purchased!
    Hello.
    StarMade game become popular all over the world, and it would be good to make able to localize it to different languages to make easier understand the game for the new players. Now it's possible by rewriting BlockConfig.xml but after each update it could be changed and communities should translate it from the beginning, so it hurts...
    If it would be possible to use something like templates in BlockConfig.xml. Like name="@string_block_grass_name" description="@string_block_grass_description" and also there would be folders with each language, and there would be translations of it, like
    en:
    "@string_block_grass_name=Grass block"
    "@string_block_grass_description=This is cool green grass block bla-bla-bla"
    ru:
    "@string_block_grass_name=Блок травы"
    "@string_block_grass_description=Крутой зеленый блок травы бла-бла-бла"
    and so on, it would be very great and useful!
    Also translations could be possible by crowd-sourcing, like http://www.getlocalization.com/SpaceEngineers/
    So with it you don't need to translate it manually, communities will do it.
    With this system localizations won't depend on BlockConfig.xml structure. So if it would change - translations will be kept.

Reaction score
    Oh! You're the Russian community guy. Hi again!

Different languages are planned I'm sure, but for the late game. Good that you gave an example for modders to do it though.

EDIT Now I know what Blah is in cryllic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Making a template for localization is a great idea. Starmade as it is though in English needs some wrapping for it's text in some places due to overlapping with other UI elements and other words and numbers. Translating surely would have these problems or worse due to word lengths. Just something to consider, especially for full-length characters. I think this is a great way to reach out to new players though. I had no idea there was even a Russian community for Star Made.

Reaction score
    • Foreign Community
    • Purchased!
    Thanks for your support, guys!
    Now it's a problem with translating interfaces, because them are not text, but pictures. Also there are many hardcoded things like notifications that couldn't be translated for now.
    Also there are many communities, like big France community, few German servers with their communities. Russian community steam group is 4 times bigger then official group :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/star_made
    Also our community has near 1.3k people in group of social network vk.com and it exists more then one year)
    So, we are quite big :)