moving target and pulse weapons

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This pertains primarily to the damage and push pulse systems. These two weapons (specifically the damage version) are woefully ineffective. They require just the right circumstances to use them. I understand the limitations of the pulse is required for balance, but as soon as the two targets are moving, any chance of the pulse system contacting is target is next to nothing. This is because the damage occurs behind the ship that fired the weapon rather than in front of it. I believe that this problem might be fixed with additive velocity but i haven't tested it. The solution is simple, have the pulse bubble move with the ship regardless of whether this setting is turned on, or make the additive weapon velocity a default setting. Another possibility is to have the damage occur instantly upon firing rather than after the animation sequence. I'm not going to go as far as to say radius should be increased, but it is definitely difficult to hit a moving target with this weapon rendering it next to worthless.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i actually came up with a extremely simple solution for this problem. Plex door skewers. hook them up and the damage pulse to area triggers and then ram into a target. The skewers should hold the target in place long enough for the damage pulse to do its work

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    i actually came up with a extremely simple solution for this problem. Plex door skewers. hook them up and the damage pulse to area triggers and then ram into a target. The skewers should hold the target in place long enough for the damage pulse to do its work
    That sounds like a lot of lag honestly, though effective.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    That sounds like a lot of lag honestly, though effective.
    from the tests that ive done as long as the damage pulse can destroy enough blocks to prevent collision then its all good. just wish the damage pulse was given the same kind of love the warhead was given.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    warheads get love?
    They got a huge buff in a recent patch. They used to only destroy a few blocks of hull, but now they've got a much larger radius.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    from the tests that ive done as long as the damage pulse can destroy enough blocks to prevent collision then its all good. just wish the damage pulse was given the same kind of love the warhead was given.
    I know Cal sound they were thinking of changing pulse up, but I don't know how exactly. Everything in SM gets some love eventually

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I know Cal sound they were thinking of changing pulse up, but I don't know how exactly. Everything in SM gets some love eventually
    its simple. increase its block damage just like the warhead. the pulse will always be a melee weapon. what makes it useless is you have to add so much blocks just to get a semi-decent damage output at the cost of insane energy usage. increasing its damage output per block would be balanced out by its range.

Reaction score
    I don't see the Damage Pulse weapon ever being useful beyond gimmick status. It should be abandoned and some other weapon type developed to replace it. I have ideas for other weapon types, but this thread is about Pulses so I won't go into them here. The Pulse is a dead-end, not worth "developing" or wasting time on giving it some "love."

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't see the Damage Pulse weapon ever being useful beyond gimmick status. It should be abandoned and some other weapon type developed to replace it. I have ideas for other weapon types, but this thread is about Pulses so I won't go into them here. The Pulse is a dead-end, not worth "developing" or wasting time on giving it some "love."
    Make a thread about them then. Personally I think Pulse could be useful, if given a small launch range (goes 500m and then expands).

Reaction score
    Yeah - problem is I have sooo many ideas that people are:
    1. Gunna get sick of my blabbering.
    2. Think I just wanna remake Starmade in mine own image.

Additionally, they're just "conceptual" -- I have no first mathematical stepping-stone for them. (I'm a "Big-Picture" thinker -- I lost patience for detail thinking years ago...)

3. I discourage easily. (Maybe I'll test one idea and see how that goes...)