Moveable Ship Core

Reaction score
    So I'm sure alot of people have had a problem in starting ships... I myself have spent the past three days building a massive ship, finally finishing the outter design... I Realize the core is in a very... odd place.

I'll cut to the chase now - My suggestion is that there be an option to MOVE the cube within the already built ship, rather then having to delete every block attached to the cube. In example... We could quick make a platform of where we want to move the cube, manouver to said ship core, right click it and it'll then ask if you want to move it. It'd then go transperant - Allowing you to select the new location for the cube. ..

Thats the basic idea. Being able to move it to a different spot in the ship without having to disconnect everything from the cube. A simple Idea, but I also realize it could become a major pain in the arse with coding - And risk of glitches and bugs.

But I'm hopingthis could be implemented down the road of updates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would definitely be useful for huge ships, and for people who like to go with a modular design on their ships. I, for one, am the latter. I love starting out with a smaller ship and once I have the resources, I add another compartment with extra power, or engines, or add another gun. I would love to see the option to move the core, since sometimes this makes getting to the core a pain.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please. It\'s annoying to have to build around a stationary cube.

Reaction score
    Hell to the yes please! It\'s frustrating to have to start building from the bridge/cockpit of the ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Another related feature would be to shift every block in the same direction, relative to the core. That way you can move the ship around the core.

Reaction score
    For the love of chirst please do this, such a massive pain in the ass when the core is in the wrong spot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a great idea, i came here to sugest it myself. It could be done so that you have to be next to a shop to do it. If it wasn\'t like that then once your hull had been penitrated you could move the core to another better place. Hopefully this gets put into the game, its a great idea!!

Reaction score
    Personallly, I don\'t like cores at all, and I can\'t be the only one. It would be more realistic it you could spawn ships like you do space stations. Then, possibly, there could be things like a navigation computer which controls all the engines, and it would be nice if cockpits were replaced by, or at least supplemented with captian\'s chairs. Of course, without self propelling cores, it might me necessary to add some sort of lifeboat, to allow you to catch your ship when you exit it. Just my ramblings, I\'ll probably start a new thread soon, maybe even try my hand at writing a mod. (It can\'t be much harder than minecraft, right?)

Reaction score
    So you want to move cores?

Think about this: You are under attack your core is under fire, no problem i just move it somewhere else

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"Think about this: You are under attack your core is under fire, no problem i just move it somewhere else\"

But, you are in the core. If not. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, STANDING THERE WHILE TAKING FIRE ON YOUR CORE?

Ahem. If anything, if it\'s gotten to the point of your core taking fire, you don\'t really have the luxury of going into build mode. THough someone something about REMOVING and then replacing the core, that\'s a no, because then Jim-Dandy here would be absolutely right, and this would become an exploit to abuse. Even if that would still make it some tedious, I think the compromise would be to be able to literally -move- the ship core around, that is. Like, it can only be moved to an adjacent, empty block location. Yeah, it could take sometime to move it around, but if your ship really is that big and you\'ve JUST NOW figured out your core is located waaaay wrong,... the hell were you doing all that time?

This way you\'d avoid people just going into build mode and teleporting the core around or plainly \'removing it\' and then waiting in build mode for the other player to bore off. I guess would still be possible though: an empty single-cube size tunnel behind the core, so that in emergency it could be moooooooved all the way at the back of it. But think of it, while the player\'s doing that, in build mode perhaps, he\'s not actually piloting the ship, and that may be something he can\'t afford.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This could be a possible exploit to keep people from breaking their ships. Hm, let\'s say your hull gets destroyed, and they fire towards the core. \"Oh, the left engine isn\'t destroyed yet, just put it there.\" I highly doubt a movable core is going to happen.

Reaction score
    There could be MORE to just MOVING the core. \"f your ship really is that big and you\'ve JUST NOW figured out your core is located waaaay wrong,... the hell were you doing all that time?\" What was I doing? Building my sodding ship - Getting the power, shielding and thrusts up. I payed my attention to that to the shape of the ship - Anyways.

I\'m not asking for a simple \"Right click and move\" Well.. I sort of am, BUT! It doesnt HAVE to be that simple! If someone were to move their exposed cube... It should still be able to take damage in the processe of moving - and have a time for it to fully move to that said position.

It\'d bea nice feature for... say Just Singleplayer, but when online it couldn\'t be done?

It\'s only a suggestion! Lets build off this, rather then tear it down! :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I kind of feel that as the core should stay as it is. Tough luck if it\'s positioned incorrectly, should\'ve planned the ship design better, try again next time.

that\'s my gut feeling about it anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What about for those of us that the core bugged on? THe core bugged and upon server restart my ship was facing the wrong way- the core was backwards! Well, that ship was a waste...

Maybe make it so only admin\'s can move cores with a command? Then you can\'t just move cores all the time and save your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As one person mentioned - Have the core only be moved when you sit at the shop for a certain period of time. If you screwed up you should be given some mercy, but at the cost of having been idle at the shop for 2-5 minutes or so. Once you relocate the core you shouldn\'t be able to move it until you explore a certain amount of sectors or a timer.

Reaction score
    I actually like pqowie313\'s idea. They might need to mess around with the way ships die, but either way the inability to move bits of ship is unacceptable I think. There\'s no reason for it other than the way the game is coded, and there are solutions people have pointed out.

Any of them would be better than having an immobile part of your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I still don\'t get what you mean by placing your core in a odd place............. the core is the thing thats holding your ship together. If it get destroy, your ship go boom. Now this means you protect it by builting stuff around it. Why would you want to more the core constantly? I don\'t see the reason of doing that.