Movable ship core

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The ship core should be moveable after placeing it, because its much easier to make a new place for the core then to replace the whole ship hull.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is the root part of the ship. without it, there is no ship. For this to work ships would have to have dynamic roots.

The way it is now forces you to plan ahead instead of jumping into any old design as is. Im sure as you progress you will get better at building ships with cores placed in the right place ^^ That said, it might be something that happens in the future.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Unfortunatly planning ahead doesnt always work, as I at least often end up completely changing the design halfway through a build, and although SMedit allows you to move the core, it can be really laggy with larger ships which makes it a pain to do.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes but if you forget it it yould be nice if you could placehim somewhere else, it would just change the position if you place it somewhere into the ship, otherwise it will go back to its old position and the root part will move with the core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If your ship is 100k mass or more, it might just be better to leave it as is or modify the ship live.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    My shipcore is in a bad position and I really want to move it. I just spent an hour trying to move it with SMedit and let\'s say it didn\'t really work out.

First issue: It seems it can\'t open blueprints since the last update.

Second issue: My ship is huge... Even giving it 4gb of memory i get 3 frames per minute and this is with an old blueprint, around 4 mil blocks. My current ship is 10 mil blocks so I guess SMEdit is not an option for me.

Would it really be that difficult changing position of a shipcore? Just giving another block the same function, redrawing collision borders, giving chunks a new position relative to the new core\'s location.

Reaction score
    Imagine you spend 15 minutes making a hole in your enemy\'s hull to get to the core. Then, suddenly it moves to a diferent place in the ship. I know this would make most people furious.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    you could set a restriction that the core could only be moved when the ship is under fire.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think you mean not under fire and aren\'t there faction moduels to save your ship from any abuse from evil persons?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I support this, even with the best planning sometimes your ideas change and you need to relocate the core. Most of the time I\'ve found I want to move my core it\'s as simple as a single meter in a single direction. We shouldn\'t have to use an external editor for this, which recently doesn\'t even seem to be able to open some of my ships.

Reaction score
    I\'d like for ships to be interchangeable with rocks(wuuuut!)

This would definitely make rock tugging easier, as you could place a ship core and thrusters on a rock, or dock it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That would be a good way to make the drifting abandoned ships that people keep suggesting.