Most Disappointing Symmetry Fail

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ever find yourself building something really cool, only to wonder halfway through, "did I remember to put on symmetry?..." Well, step right up ladies and gents and share your best, wanted-to-rip-my-hair-out-I-was-so-mad tales about screwed-up symmetry (or lack-thereof).

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've removed very complex circuits on a live stream because I forgot to turn off symmetry. Not so much mad but there was heartbreak.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Worst i've ever come is forgetting to symmetry weapons or details but not the entire ship.

Though i've had to redo bits and pieces of ships when I set symmetry off center.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just spent 10 minutes swearing profusely.

I forgot to turn off symmetry. So I'm making a minor detail. Not much really, just a platform for rotating eye candy. But I was a bit undecided on how I wanted it to look. Naturally, I'm adding and removing blocks, testing things out and adjusting. Then I notice I've got blocks floating off in space. Sigh, turn off symmetry, delete the junk, moving on.

20 minutes later I realize I missed some. My platform is mirrored right in the middle of my elevator logic.
    I think I could have made a sailor blush.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Right after the cargo update I was working on my base and forgot about the symmetry and deleted my main storage block that was connected to all of my cargo. Millions of blocks were lost that day :(

Reaction score
    I've removed very complex circuits on a live stream because I forgot to turn off symmetry. Not so much mad but there was heartbreak.
    Yep.
    Exspecially since the addition of copy-paste its much more annoying to forget to turn it off.

Switching between docked entities can be a nightmare. (Turrets i'm looking at you)
    Did someone ever suggested to save the different symmetry axes for different entities or atleast automatically removing them when entering another entity?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Remember back when undo/redo and copy/paste were not a thing? Yea... Those were the days you definitely did not want to mess things up.

At least now if you forget to turn on symetry you can quickly copy, delete and paste missing mirror sections with symmetry turned on to fix the issue.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Remember back when undo/redo and copy/paste were not a thing? Yea... Those were the days you definitely did not want to mess things up.

At least now if you forget to turn on symetry you can quickly copy, delete and paste missing mirror sections with symmetry turned on to fix the issue.
    That does not always restore every logic connection though o_O

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So? The point is that it's much better than nothing.
    Unless you look at it, see connections and move on not knowing that connections are missing therefor causing problems down the line. If they were all missing you would know you have to fix it.... it's a very case based scenario but it can happen.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Unless you look at it, see connections and move on not knowing that connections are missing therefor causing problems down the line. If they were all missing you would know you have to fix it.... it's a very case based scenario but it can happen.
    Well yes, but I never said that it could fix anything and everything without effort. The best thing to do is either make backups or just not fuck up with symmetry in the first place :P

Reaction score
    I've got a bone to pick with this too. I had the idea once to make modulated factories. It ended about when I copy pasted it and relized I had to re enter every factory setting and every storage pull item. Geez

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I had a weird symmetry set up for one build and forgot it was on. Then I started working on another ship, and when I was done part of the ship was mirrored a hundred blocks or so way outside of the main part of the ship. I didn't notice until that part got hung up on something and my ship wouldn't move anymore.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I had a weird symmetry set up for one build and forgot it was on. Then I started working on another ship, and when I was done part of the ship was mirrored a hundred blocks or so way outside of the main part of the ship. I didn't notice until that part got hung up on something and my ship wouldn't move anymore.
    I've had this happen before, just about every time those chunks wouldn't initialize so I couldn't even delete them...