More Weapons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First off, i'm sure more weapons will be added eventually but here's a few ideas for some.

Laser- The basic beam weapon which does decent damage to sheilds but not much to hulls

Railgun- An Artillary weapon for vessels, it can shoot long distances with a lot of force. Requires a lot of energy

Plasma Cannon- A cannon which can eat through hulls easily but is worthless against shields

Phase Missile- A missile with slightly less payload but has a chance to bypass shield systems.

Cluster Missile- This missile spreads out into many smaller missiles causing a wider area of destruction

Flare Missile- This missile can cause heat seekers to target it instead of a ship.

Nanite Missile- This missile upon impact will release nanites which feed on the hull and systems of ships, slowly tearing them apart. Can be removed with repair lasers

Concussion Cannon- Small cannons which pack a huge punch. They have very little range and so are perfect for use on fighters. They create unstable frequency waves which disrupt the matter directly in front of it causing wide area damage, and a lot of it.

EMP Missile- This missile is designed to take out energy and compter systems. When it hits an area, all systems within a certain radius will temporarily shut down. Any system in direct contact will be destroyed.

Nuclear missile- This missile causes massive destruction in wide areas and leaves a radiation cloud for a few minutes which damages ships. This missile requires a special launcher and the launcher requires a ship to have a specifically large amount of mass ( such as capital ships) and consumes tons of energy and resources.

Breaching Missile- This missile is used to pound holes directly into a hull. It has almost no area of effect damage but has a lot of direct damage. Can be used to create holes to board the ship.

I'll add more as I think of them.

A good example for use of these weapons would be:

Railguns can be fitted onto a cruiser to lob artillary rounds at a far away capital ship while a ship designed to take down shields, fitted with EMPs and lasers, swoops in knocking the shields down. Fighters with concussion cannons can then race in and blast away the hulls. Just then an enemy missile cruiser comes warping in, firing volleys of missiles at you. Your aly brings in an anti missile cruiser, fitted with flare missiles to distract the enemy missiles and take them away from your ships.

These weapons could add a more strategic depth to the game, and allow for some better ships with actual classes like missile cruisers and EMP bombers. Any feedback would be nice :P

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I\'d rather see more functional beams than all these millions of projectiles. We already have AMCs and three types of missile, I think that\'s enough of those aside from maybe the Railgun and Transphasic Torpedo... er, Phase Missile. The Nanite Missile isn\'t too bad either, but like any powerful specialty missile, should require a LOT of energy... perhaps it could salvage blocks that it disintegrates?

Anyway, I\'d like to see more beams - some kind of kinetic beam (Slight knockback, low power usage), a tractor beam of some sort, and perhaps a beam that has lowish damage, but slight shield penetration and chance to temporarily nerf or disable a random subsystem if shields are down (Something like a \"Phased Plasma Beam\")

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Soem of your ideas I like, but I think you would have to have very specific rules for them, so you can\'t just make a giant cube ship of everything and become invincible... Perhaps some of the missiles (like the nuclear ones) need not only specifically designed launchers (like a rectangle of nuclear missile silo blocks or something) and they require you to build each missile... perhaps a plexstorage container next to the silo to fill with ammo? Maybe each missile takes up six block spaces, much like the inventory of Neverwinter Nights...

As for some of the other stuff, why don\'t you have it so that only certain ships can have certain weapons, so that you can\';t have all the weapons on one ship unless it is of sufficent size WITHOUT the weapon blocks.... That way you have a need for those smaller ships for anti-missile defense, and the missile ships... Plus, I would add just flares, not flare missiles, so that fighters can use them... Make it so that only ships under a certain mass can use then or something...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love beams and yes this game definitly needs more I just can\'t think of any good beam type weapons other than the usual standard types.

And that idea for the missile silo and having to build the missiles would be awesome as well as having limitations on the weapons per ship.

Reaction score
    I hope you realise that for a sound based weapon(even if itsi t actually sound based, it works on the same principal). Because soundwaves need matter to travel, you cant use this weapon in space. Getting it to fire would require touching the ship. Touching 2 ships would be almost impossible between 2 fighters and is likely to collision warp larger ships.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Why would a microwave laser cause any more kinetic effects than a regular laser? Perhaps a Disruptor/Repulsor beam would do this though...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think Concussion Cannons actually create their own transmitting medium somehow... Rather than just shooting a compression wave, which wouldn\'t work in space, they probably fire some sort of pulse of heavily-vibrating technobabblium that carries the vibrations over, or they create a cone/cylinder of transmitting medium via a dispersing beam, or... etc. etc. etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think these should be added. The ships now are always the same: AMC\'s and Missiles. Needs more variety!

Reaction score
    Nanite missiles need to have a cap. If they didn\'t a whole ship would be dissolved from one shot. I would like it if in addition to eating away blocks, they also rendered the affected blocks useless/offline for a short period of time. They wouldn\'t contribute to the stat they influence. Example: A shield block is affected and doesn\'t give shields for a short period of time.

Phase missiles have to have a very low shield bypass chance. Any weapon that negates shields is trouble and potentially game-breaking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah I was thinking like a 5-% chance to bypass otherwise a mass volley of phase missiles would just kill anything.

And your avatar is hilarious btw

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    that it is game breaking, it shouldn\'t be but there\'s a problem somwhere. I would post a thread about it if it haven\'t been posted a way to solve it but i am not first to think of it (http://star-made.org/content/my-take-new-amc-system) he beat me to it :(

Yes they are mostly talking about the AMC but they start to talk about armour and sutch, which would translete to missiles

Reaction score
    While I do like a number of those wepons, wouldn\'t the first thing to do be to refine and perfect the current weapons? I was going to post that link, you you were there first. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well yes you\'d have to refine the old ones, but that\'s not what this post is about. It\'s just about ideas for weapons that the community can build upon and perfect so they may be implemented whenever the time is good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You could have the system be so that each volley from a computer is a 5-10% chance to bypass on just one shot. This way if you miss with part of a volley, you could be wasting damage. This seeems like a tactical weapon, not a huge DPS source. Probably the missle should wind up hitting a fairly random block (still in the missle\'s path, but penetration varies.) to make just hitting the core difficult to impossible.