More versatile shipyard construction

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would like to suggest that more ways of building shipyards are implemented.
    Currently you CAN built some nice looking ships yards, but to construct a decently sized ship you need the shipyard to be much bigger than it. Thus stations just end up with huge monstrositys of grey arms all over the place dwarfing the actual station.

Additional ways of constructing them so that they can look more visually pleasing could include not requiring a fram, just enough connected mass enhancer blocks to support the ships mass and a clear space.

Just a thougth, but I think that it would allow for some better looking shipyard designs to constructed without dwarfing the station or looking out of place visualy.

For example, my current station. The shipyard is already pretty huge and yet I would need to futher expand it in a number of directions to build any of my larger ships, to be honest I kind of dislike shipyards and never use them (Blueprints are much easier and dont require me to disfigure my station)

Even a re-modified version of the old 'green building box' could work. Just some other additional ways of constructing shipyards XD

TheGT

Chief Janitorial, Second Legion, Fourth Squadron
    Reaction score
    hmm... Interesting, though isn't the point of shipyards to make a way of building a ship that is more true to real life? A capital shipyard is meant to be big, seeing as it builds capital ships. I would suggest that you make a new station, or separate your parts with a large distance in the same station and have trams or transporters going in between them. The unwieldiness of these large shipyards helps with encouraging people to specialize stations.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I find many (not all) factions on PVP tend to build separate stations for separate purposes. Although, now we can combing factories and shipyards to simplify things.

I've noticed people building gates away from their home station. I'm not sure why, but I guess it maybe traffic control related. Maybe it's a lag and not a tactical thing when too many structures are there when you exit the gate.
    [doublepost=1474255708,1474255467][/doublepost]Oh, almost forgot. This suggestion at a glance made me think of a construction yard that builds like a 3D printer instead of randomly automagically appearing blocks. That way, you could build smaller with a moving apparatus for either the factory or the docker.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    hmm... Interesting, though isn't the point of shipyards to make a way of building a ship that is more true to real life? A capital shipyard is meant to be big, seeing as it builds capital ships. I would suggest that you make a new station, or separate your parts with a large distance in the same station and have trams or transporters going in between them. The unwieldiness of these large shipyards helps with encouraging people to specialize stations.
    I would do that, however all severs Ive played on do have station size limits (my current one above is nearly 1000x1000x1000 and expanding it beyond that causes a lot of lag.)

The whole station would essentially need to be the shipyard, however then it would need to be a separate station and separate stations arent covered by your home base protection (No matter how well defended it is there will always be someone with a bigger ship thus stations other than your homebase are rare).

Reaction score
    I kind of like the look of the current yards, with the big enveloping gantries, but maybe that's just me! :)

TheGT

Chief Janitorial, Second Legion, Fourth Squadron
    Reaction score
    I would do that, however all severs Ive played on do have station size limits (my current one above is nearly 1000x1000x1000 and expanding it beyond that causes a lot of lag.)

The whole station would essentially need to be the shipyard, however then it would need to be a separate station and separate stations arent covered by your home base protection (No matter how well defended it is there will always be someone with a bigger ship thus stations other than your homebase are rare).
    OOOoOoOooOOOOOoooO... Homebase camper
    (sorry, I apologize)

But, it making a reason to leave a homebase is a great purpose of shipyards. Your homebase is meant to be a sanctuary where you can get started and protect your most valuable assets, not the jack of all trades, personally I think that your base would look rather cool if you shedded the fighter docks, the shipyard, and moved the warpgate on a horizontal plane beneath the central column. (cool looking earth BTW) You could make those things you shedded into separate stations and increase your net coolness factor by approximately 42 percent.
    Just my two cents

Reactions: Dire Venom

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    One reason for the shipyard spars is to ensure that the area is fully initialized. This avoids wonky symmetry glitches on a big build.

I've noticed people building gates away from their home station. I'm not sure why, but I guess it maybe traffic control related. Maybe it's a lag and not a tactical thing when too many structures are there when you exit the gate.
    On my old server it was common for people to have some lag and low frame-rates when 'gate-warping' in. For a busy building base with multiple large ships the chunk-loading was heinous. This is one good reason to have the portal nearby like half a sector away or in the adjacent one. Also you will have more warning if an enemy uses your (public) gate.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One reason for the shipyard spars is to ensure that the area is fully initialized. This avoids wonky symmetry glitches on a big build.

On my old server it was common for people to have some lag and low frame-rates when 'gate-warping' in. For a busy building base with multiple large ships the chunk-loading was heinous. This is one good reason to have the portal nearby like half a sector away or in the adjacent one. Also you will have more warning if an enemy uses your (public) gate.
    I had a feeling there was a good reason for it and suspected chunk loading lag issues. This makes a lot of sense.