More Sounds

Reaction score
    Would love to have a few more sounds in the game especially on bigger ships and stations. The core makes a fair bit of noise when close to it but the bigger the ship the less effective and realistic this can become. You'd probably expect all sorts of sounds and hums to come from a space ship and I think there could be two ways to achieve this:

1. More blocks making sounds
    Shield blocks, power blocks, weapons computers and thruster's could all have additional sounds depending on the grouping and number of connected blocks of that type. This would mean that a large power core or thruster set makes greater noise the bigger it gets (compared to a much smaller ship) and mean that the ship would be a little less quiet.

2. New sound blocks
    Specific blocks could be added to the game to include in ships in strategic points to make 'ship like sounds within a set like area.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    while I do agree with this idea, let me just add a bit of my personal two scents.

I find the sounds the core make a bit ridiculous myself really, it roars and rumbles like a big engine. that is nothing like what I actually expect it to do if it is what it is used for. As it is right now, basically the ship core block, is the computer control, heart of the machine, main core of a starship. so logically it should sound like a humming and peaceably functioning computer right? its not so much a lack of sound that is the problem, it's the sound quality.

the sound is fine for the engines of a starship, but my problem is, that it is coming from the wrong block. I like the sound but it needs to be emitting from the engines of my ship, not its computer core.

edits:
    another avenue to explore you may have missed and I'm editing this, cause I just thought of it, is the idea of interaction sounds. sounds that only happen whenever you interact with a block. for example there are some new activator and logic type blocks coming, they mite make sounds when ever you interact with them, such as a button push or loud lever pull sound.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I wonder if people would make hallways of music that play songs as you travel through them... If the sounds were distinct enough that is.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you know alarm clocks which dim the light by polarized crystals?
    It is a NOT-circuit. It uses electricity, but combined with solar panels and organic conductors is that so much of a problem?

What I wanna say is, that I believe that one day we can get computers solely made from non-metallic materials (because of EM-resistance). Why should they sound the same as today's computers?

Passively cooled computers or thrusters stabilized relative to the ship with very efficient magnetic traps (don't waste any power like with current tech) will have no sound at all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    are you just that annoyed by duplicate post that you troll all of them just to say that? also no there hasn't been I've searched. the only other thing similar is about music not sound. and is also covering different subject matter.

if you continue ill have to report you for abuse. you have been really rude about this, third thread I've seen you do it to. if you are considering threads from the old forum as I suspect you are, you need to stop that. it is going away and by doing so you are being disruptive to the community. consider that you first warning.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think he is just aiming to be the #1 forum user lol. While this May be a duplicate, spamming it with messages saying it is, isn't doing much good. Let elwainio voice their opinions. If thousands of similar posts keep popping up, then it's time to say something; until then, I'd lay off.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    On another side note (possibly should make my own topic for this but whatever), in game music! Probably suggested to death but still. Maybe program music cues and allow users (or modders) the ability to add their own music, along with their texture pack? Kind of like the Guild Wars 2 custom music playlist feature.

So if you want Imperial March to play as you build your Goliath ship, so be it. Or, if you want dubstep to play as you decimate pesky pirates, you could do that as well! It also welcomes people like Crusade to upload their own music for such occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Audio is lacking, yes. More sounds for blocks, while inside the ship... But, you wouldn't hear much sound while in space, except perhaps your spacesuit and breathing. Unless you're a crystalline lifeform that doesn't breath.
    Sound on planets. A slight 'tunk' when you hit something with your ship, and you're inside. We shouldn't really be able to hear impacts... Though, admittedly, it's kewl to hear impacts and explosions. ^-^'

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    he has desisted, and no further action required, this was just his most recent offense. sorry you had to be subject to it but if others wont voice their disrespect I will.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd also like to see the range of sounds expanded. Right now when you get buzzed by a fighter you don't hear anything. For that matter, could the audio system support the doppler effect for all sounds?

Reactions: Azurite
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    it seems to do that already, just place a core then walk around it, the sound will carry just like a Doppler shift.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, the amplitude changes, but I haven't noticed any frequency change.

Reaction score
    Would also love to see Plexdoors making a sound when you open and close them.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    WE NEED SOUNDS! thers hardly any sounds in starmade they make it easy to remember good moments to

Reaction score
    well the good news from reading the Q&A is that it looks like they're working on something related to this, fingers crossed its added in the next big update!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So many possibilities...
    • while in gravity - footsteps and jumping sounds
    • passive breathing while wearing the helmet
    • more sounds for the existing weapons
    • thruster sounds based on acceleration
    • random beeps, boops, and clicks from computers
    • passive humming from other ship components

Reaction score