more realistic power and air system

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I think that plex lights should need power(i'll get to why in a moment) depending on their color. Just regular plexlights should take the most and red lights should take the least. I think it would be awesome if your ship got hit and power began to drop, and while your in a hallway or something the lights start flickering. Today if you wreck a ship and disable it and there is like a huge hole in the hull the lights remain on and on the inside where it didn't get hit, it just seems like normal. Same thing with gravity blocks except gravity blocks should be very weak on their own so they must be clustered. That way if the gravity core gets hit than gravity will be lost and stuff will start floating. Also either the red lights code is altered or a new emergency light block is implemented so that when power is lost they turn on and start flashing or something.

Another idea:

Pressure...

If your ship gets hit and there is a huge hole in the hull, stuff would start flying out in all directions and you would need to close it with blast doors. The force of all the air rushing out would undock ships and fling them out into space. This would make for awesome role playing scenes. Also, if an explosion goes off then it should push your ship away from the blast...this would be used to make emergency thrusters.

Just a bunch of random ideas I thought of.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    But shouldn\'t blue lights really take up the most power in this case? Seeing as how, you know, its one of the most powerful colours on the EM spectrum that can be seen by humans.

But really, I\'d prefer to keep the current system, that way we won\'t have to add in more power just to make the ship flashy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of stuff floating out of your ship, especially if they add some sort of debris element, so a damaged ship looks like it\'s damaged, not just some holes in it.

Reaction score
    I agree that it would be good if lights and gravity needed power to work, so that derelict hulks would be unlit. However I don\'t agree that different coloured lights should require different amounts of power to operate, simply because I don\'t believe players should suffer the penalty of their build requiring more power if they\'re chosen scheme of the ship they\'re building is internally lit with one colour over another. ;)

On a related note, I also think it would be good to be able to turn the power off (in your own ship) without having to destroy or remove all the power blocks. This would allow people to setup derelict vessels for other players to explore on their server/s, requiring the \"explorer\" to activate the power generation in order to turn on the lights and gravity.

I also agree that it would be great if ships had air and therefore decompression would need to be considered when building. I do think that, with the inclusion of a removable helmet with the new player model, this was already in the minds of the Devs as a future game mechanic. :)

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    just like that time in Halo first strike when cortana blew out the Gettysburg\'s hanger...This would make for amazing battles and tactics. Speaking of battles I have not seen anyy good pvp battles besides the battle bubble thingy (no offence, bad memory), I would really like to see some action packed PVP Battles with fleets and stuff.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. Make a channel (maybe alpha?) on the finished-rendered screen depending on if the light is natural (sun, other ships?) or from your own ship.

2. Multiply all alpha on your gpu with your power bar storage level.

2nd step should be easy to implement, but the 1st? We don\'t have dynamic lights currently (except sun? the block currently stores how much light it receive all the time afaik)

Would sight-rays be a better approach for fps? (Only calculate what affects a pixel on your screen)

Reaction score
    They really shouldn\'t require power to shine. You can keep the inside of a ship well lit with enough glass windows , ice crystals or lava blocks.

Gravity blocks mostly are a convenience , but having them randomly turn off due to low power would result in passengers dropping out of the ship due to inaccurate physics simulations when players and npcs are not \"attached\" to a gravity zone. Can\'t require power.

There is no need for air in ships in Starmade. It\'s not required lore-wise as nobody ever leaves their space suit.

Trying to simulate realistic air flow in freeform-built Starmade ships would be a complete nightmare.

Most competitive ships do not have an inside , anyway - they\'re just full volumes of blocks to keep a lower profile.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let\'s say that planet would be avalible only on some types of planet. Even if u have spacesuit u need to fill oxygen tanks in spacesuit. It would add new thing that u would need to care about. It would also incrase value of some type of planets. Also space stations would need transports of oxygen from planets.

I played galacticraft on tekkit. At there was great fun with planning travells around planet because of air reserve. And that adrenalin when oxygen system in our base was broken and we had small amount of time to repair it.

+1

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    \"ultra competetive\" ships is a thing that needs to stop, anyway. They ruin the fun and creativity, as most of them are just boxes, anyway.

Reaction score
    EXPLOSIVE DECOMPRESSION :D

Seems like some good ideas, i like the pressure idea, because i\'ve always wanted some explosive decomp around :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    For roleplay servers, you could make a little cube of disentergrators around your core then connect those distergrators to a disentergrator grid inside your ship and below docking modules in your hangars-if your core was hit, the disentergrators will explode and make a huge chain reaction with a visual effect of a ship being blown to pieces and bits and pieces of previously docked ships floating around the blown-up wreck of the ship.

havent tried it yet but i think its an aweosme idea

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Or like in space engineers where stuff gets riped of and floats into space!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I already did it with the Ork WAAAGH BANNA on our spawn.

If you kill the \"wooden\" cross which holds the flag and BANNA, the whole cross should chain