more powerful planets

Reaction score
    acutally a planet is destroyed in seconds, i think planets needs more hitpoints and something to protect them against random planet destroying.

new hp: 1 billion
    everytime the planets hits a 100million number (900, 800, 700,...) it will create a giant damage bubble with 2 km range and deals the damage the planet got in the last 10 seconds.

or another alien spezies that will come and attack you if you attack a planet.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    You mean the core of the planet? It would be nice if the actual terrain loaded first...

I like the idea of a planet exploding violently instead of just going 'poof' like ships do but I think 2 KM is a little extreme, maybe it should scale with universe size, the size set in the server CFG.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the atmosphere of planets should absorb some of the damage from the weapons outside the atmosphere maybe 50%

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes starhaiden. But then planetary defence should also receive some nerf...

Let all projectiles deal 25% damage inside atmospheres.
    => less block damage on planets too

To compensate, disable turret-projectiles to hit anything outside the atmosphere (you need docked ships facing upwards as turrets)
    => Now you have to place anti-orbital and anti-shuttle defence separately.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yes starhaiden. But then planetary defence should also receive some nerf...

Let all projectiles deal 25% damage inside atmospheres.
    => less block damage on planets too

To compensate, disable turret-projectiles to hit anything outside the atmosphere (you need docked ships facing upwards as turrets)
    => Now you have to place anti-orbital and anti-shuttle defence separately
    I like that overall, but I think that really large turrets should be able to hit orbitals. Planetary defence cannons are cool after all.

Reactions: bryther
    Reaction score
    I think that planets exploding sounds good, though it doesn't happen naturally- giving planets better hp would make them bulletproof, so causing more issues on people hiding, using them as armour, etc. If planets are destroyed by people, no aliens are going to hunt them down- a because of the firepower of the people and b they won't get paid by nature, so why bother? I think that having orbital defence separate from atmospheric defence is wrong, as having ground based defense is why you can build on planets really, so you can defend a base. It also makes more issues if a ship is half in half out. In my opinion, turrets should stay the way they are and planets should become asteroids on destruction

Written via IPadIPad

Reactions: bryther

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just thought of making ground fights more fun... planets are so small, big ships don't belong there (may get structural dmg based on length^3)

IRL you would also not fire a huge atomic bomb against a small 2-person scout within your atmosphere, or would you?
    You would poison your own atmosphere and kill what you try to protect. OFC we have no self-dmg, but please think about my argument here.

Reaction score
    (OFC? What is this?) I think that, due to the precision of the weapons, I wouldn't compare them to atomic blasts vs a scout, because a a bomb is collateral, where as a beam is accurate and can be powerful, but controlled. I agree with the scale of planets, but nerfing ships in the atmo would be a odd since the scale of planets makes them only max200m long

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I just thought of making ground fights more fun... planets are so small, big ships don't belong there (may get structural dmg based on length^3)
    Hell no. Our biggest ships are only about 3 kilometers long, they aren't big enough for tidal forces to affect them much. Besides, orbital bombardment is reserved for planets that you don't want to capture, but destroy.

IRL you would also not fire a huge atomic bomb against a small 2-person scout within your atmosphere, or would you?
    You would poison your own atmosphere and kill what you try to protect. OFC we have no self-dmg, but please think about my argument here.
    No, I would fire this:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Did you ever see an AI fire beams at you? it mostly misses.
    Especially because planets are only 200m all weapons are almost as evil as IRL mass-extinction weapons,

If 200m in-game = 6'325'000m IRL, a 1x1x1 block hole would IRL be 31'625m^3

OFC = of-course, IRL = In real life.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Did you ever see an AI fire beams at you? it mostly misses.
    Especially because planets are only 200m all weapons are almost as evil as IRL mass-extinction weapons,

If 200m in-game = 40'000'000m IRL, a 1x1x1 block hole would IRL be 200'000m^3

OFC = of-course, IRL = In real life.
    I couldn't really call them planets in my opinion, due to their size- even if I try to look after planet, I would have the defense on it, otherwise me way as well live on space stations instead of planets

Reactions: Vyor
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hell no. Our biggest ships are only about 3 kilometers long, they aren't big enough for tidal forces to affect them much. Besides, orbital bombardment is reserved for planets that you don't want to capture, but destroy.

No, I would fire this:
    [Off-Topic]: i thought that the failure and explosion of a russian spaceship while lifting off was the largest non-nuclear explosion?

[On-Topic]: i agree that they need more HP, right now i can 1 shot them with missiles.
    But i dislike the idea of a random danage bubble that goes up to 2km every time it looses 100mil HP

Reaction score
    [Off-Topic]: i thought that the failure and explosion of a russian spaceship while lifting off was the largest non-nuclear explosion?

[On-Topic]: i agree that they need more HP, right now i can 1 shot them with missiles.
    But i dislike the idea of a random danage bubble that goes up to 2km every time it looses 100mil HP
    Unnamed25, stay on topic, stay on topic! :P that would be the N-1, a oversized firework trying to get to the moon, blew up loads of times
    On topic, I think that since fighters can be bigger than planets, their guns are the size of the planet scales islands, therefore they are very powerful even if it's just one amc block

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The actual largest explosion was the FOABs that russia dropped.

Seconded.

Reaction score
    If memory serves, "Father Of All Bombs", or as the Russians called it, "Tsar Bomba".
    The Tsar bomba, thats a H bomb- definitely not non nuclear, it's a huge bomb.
    I think it is the N-1 because of its fuel amount, and it certainly exploded more than once

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Right. Brain derp there. :oops: Post edited for less confusion. ^.=.^"

Anyhow, on-topic: I agree that planets should at least have more health and/or defense. Currently, they're a cinch to destroy, which should evidently not be the case for planets. I have a for-fun ship that I made in single-player that has a beam weapon output that literally puts out enough damage in one firing to destroy eight of the current planet cores...and then some. Honestly, that shouldn't be the case. It makes these celestial bodies that are held together by gravity, which lets admit is a bloody powerful large-scale force, seem like pushovers.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think it is the N-1 because of its fuel amount, and it certainly exploded more than once
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_of_All_Bombs

Anyhow, on-topic: I agree that planets should at least have more health and/or defense. Currently, they're a cinch to destroy, which should evidently not be the case for planets. I have a for-fun ship that I made in single-player that has a beam weapon output that literally puts out enough damage in one firing to destroy eight of the current planet cores...and then some. Honestly, that shouldn't be the case. It makes these celestial bodies that are held together by gravity, which lets admit is a bloody powerful large-scale force, seem like pushovers.
    Yup.