More methods of propulsion

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally, one the best things about the game in my opinion is adventure. Traveling across vast distances, meeting new people, accidentally flying into stars, etc. Before FTL came out, this is generally all I did.

I do not mind FTL, I like it. It is necessary for gameplay. However, I feel that that vast, open, free sense Star Made had for me has been a little diluted. In any case, whether you feel this way or not, all players with differing styles of gameplay will probably support this idea.

Essentially, I would like more methods of sub light and FTL propulsion. It would make a greater diversity in ships, add more blocks to the game, and cater to roleplay a bit more, add more flexibility for server owners, and more ways to play the game. Here are my ideas for new types of propulsion that could be added.

Faster than Light travel:

1. Literal Faster than Light engines.
    Blocks: 5
    Explanation: Engines that make your ship go really fast. It is powered by a singularity. It is cheap, effective, easy to craft, but complex and hard to build. Not safe at all.

To construct: First, you must place down quantum magnets. When arranged so that there are some blocks facing inwards, (I.E, a sphere. Thing of the magnetic constraints from Star Trek that contain the Warp core) they create a singularity, but you need a certain amount of power to get the singularity up. The FTL engines are powered by matter moving at incredibly fast speeds towards the singularity, so anyone near it dies pretty quick. Once that happens, you need to place FTL engines and a computer. The best way to build it would be long, and rectangular. The z axis would need to be longer than the X or Y axis for it it work. (This would be config editable.) The last two blocks would be Relativity controlers, which need to be placed in dish like structures facing opposite ends. In order to match up the time flowing outside the ship and inside the ship, they first reverse the theory of relativity but making time flow faster inside the ship, and the next second outside the ship. By doing this, time flows the same outside the ship and inside the ship.

There is no power usage, except for when you create the singularity which stays with the ship until it is destroyed. No charge time.

Dangers: If enough of the quantum magnets are destroyed, the singularity instantly eats the ship and disappears. Hitting an asteroid makes you dead pretty fast.

Aesthetics: Looking at the ship from the outside, the ship stretches and disappears. Inside, nothing really happens, it's just you moving really fast but everything outside the ship is blurred, because the photons hitting you are going slower than you.

Speed: Depends on the size of singularity and amount of engines, but more efficient than other methods of travel. About 10 sectors every 45 seconds.

Usage: Activate the computer, accelerates you to the speed instantly. Same sublight controls.
    2. Atomizer
    Blocks: 2

Explanation: Makes your ship really, really, small so it can go really, really, fast.

To construct: Construction is quite simple. Place the computer and modules down. Requires a decent amount of power.

Dangers: Hardly any, slips through most physical objects. You will die if end up in a star. You can still be detected by scanners, which disrupt the quantum effect from 2-3 sectors away.

Aesthetics: Onlookers see the ship shrink and disappear, and within the ship everything gets super blurry, due to the larger size of photons. So like, a pink nebula would become a pink blur. Passing through an asteroid you would see darkness all around you.

Usage: Press the computer, effect happens. Only navigation is by waypoint. Charge rate gets bigger depending on mass. Sublight controls.

Speed: Quite slow. Depends on the amount of modules. ~6 sectors every 45 seconds.

3. Dimensional shift
    Blocks:2
    Explanation: Separates your ship from the rest of the universe, creating its own universe inside the universe. Within this bubble, your speed and mass will become infinite.

Construction: Place modules around the ship in a ring. Large amount of power is needed.

Danger: Because of some reasons, the only light you see is from hundreds of thousands of years ago. Everything else disappears, except stars and what you see outside. You are virtually undetectable by other vessels, but if you get within 3000 meters of any physical objects the dimensional shift automatically shuts off.

Aesthetics: Onlookers see the ship encased in a bubble. Inside the ship, it looks as though you are in a fish bowl - everything is bends around said bubble. Asteroids, stations, and all man made objects automatically disappear.

Speed: Depends on server speed limit, but other than that depends on your thrusters.

Usage: Press the computer button, effect happens. Controls are the same as sublight.

4. Space time fold
    Blocks: 2
    Explanation: Shortens the distance between two points. Simpliest way to achieve Faster than light travel.

Construction: Standard, most effective shape is a dish. The amount of distance cut off depends on module to mass ratio.

Danger: You are still visible to every one, but to them it seems you are going really fast.

Aesthetics: When you activate the effect, you in the ship see more planets and stars appear before you. This is because they are closer. Onlookers just see you move real fast.

Usage: Activate the module, ship automatically tuns towards waypoint. Forward and back is the only movement. Can only work with waypoint input. Once a waypoint is input and the computer activated, you see the distance decrease.

All of these items would have a form of autopilot, so you could get out of the core and look around.

Sublight:

1. Fish scales
    Blocks: One
    Explanation: An organic propulsion method. The "scales" reflect sunlight at such a rate your ship can move quickly. You need to feed it for it to work. It can repair itself - the more you feed, the more it repairs itself.

Construction: Simply black the fish scale block on the parts of your ship you want scales on.

Usage: Thrust depends on distance from star, and area of ship covered.

Aesthetics: Hundreds of scales moving back and forth.

What do you all think?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Some of these sound like when overdrive was broken, had no limit, and you only needed 1/100 mass for 100% efficiency, letting you build ships that could go, like, 3000% overdrive.

Anyway, I think we've got a decent amount of propulsion methods right now (thrusters, overdrive, push engines, and pulse drives), but some of these might be cool.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some of these sound like when overdrive was broken, had no limit, and you only needed 1/100 mass for 100% efficiency, letting you build ships that could go, like, 3000% overdrive.

Anyway, I think we've got a decent amount of propulsion methods right now (thrusters, overdrive, push engines, and pulse drives), but some of these might be cool.
    I remember that. That sucked back when 94 km was a long distance. Now we travel at about the same speeds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I suggest an automatic and manual thrust system.
    The current main propulsion will be manual the new one will be automatic.
    The automatic system:
    There will be two new blocks the automatic thruster and the it's computer.
    The automatic thrusters have to be connected to a control computer to work
    You select the place you want to go in the navigation panel than activate the computer and the ship will fly toward the place.
    to make this less powerful the automatic thrusters will be 4\5 as powerful as the manual and will use 50% more power
    you can set the speed of the ship out it's maximum speed and will use =amount of power to the amount of thrust required

Benefits: you are not required to be in the ship core to move the ship
    can set speed of ship

Cons: cost move power than manual thrust
    less powerful as manual

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I suggest an automatic and manual thrust system.
    The current main propulsion will be manual the new one will be automatic.
    The automatic system:
    There will be two new blocks the automatic thruster and the it's computer.
    The automatic thrusters have to be connected to a control computer to work
    You select the place you want to go in the navigation panel than activate the computer and the ship will fly toward the place.
    to make this less powerful the automatic thrusters will be 4\5 as powerful as the manual and will use 50% more power
    you can set the speed of the ship out it's maximum speed and will use =amount of power to the amount of thrust required

Benefits: you are not required to be in the ship core to move the ship
    can set speed of ship

Cons: cost move power than manual thrust
    less powerful as manual
    I would prefer a system where you can link the ordinary thrusters to such a computer instead of using another blockID for another engine type. Essensially the engines would be manual until the computer was activated; the computer can be activated and deactivated at will. Once activated, and the destination and speed set it will fly off on its own. I do agree with the 4/5ths thrust handicap at autopilot however, it should prevent abuse of the autopilot.

Coming back on topic, a type of engine that produces twice the thrust at four times the cost (crafting AND monetary) and power usage would be interesting; it would give small ships a boost, as they won't need to place as many thrusters down.

Reaction score
    Your post began arguing for exploring, and how jump drives take away that.
    Every method you propose either blinds you, makes you go incredibly fast (which can't be good for the server to have to load and unload sectors constantly), more so than jump drives or is not much different that current thrust system.

Reaction score
    Most of these just add variety for the sake of variety. Its very redundant. What we have now is enough, IMO.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thrusters that run on lava for fuel
    it uses zero power, same thrust as normal thrusters and it is a way to make lava useful

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Your post began arguing for exploring, and how jump drives take away that.
    Every method you propose either blinds you, makes you go incredibly fast (which can't be good for the server to have to load and unload sectors constantly), more so than jump drives or is not much different that current thrust system.
    The thing is, by having more variety in technologies and ship types there are more things to learn as you explore the game. This also applies to lazarus78's post.

Also, the enjoyable thing that used to be about exploration was the relaxation it could provide. I didn't mind traveling for an hour or so back then, because I could get out and walk around my ship and experiment with stuff. Most of these ways include autopilot, and you could do that. And having more ways to travel does add to the feel of exploration, because traveling is a large part of exploration.

Servers can easily handle objects traveling at 1400 m/s, and have been able to for ages.

Reaction score
    The thing is, by having more variety in technologies and ship types there are more things to learn as you explore the game. This also applies to lazarus78's post.
    But there is no need for it. It adds variety, but for what reason? Everything worth while suggested is already covered by the current system. It adds nothing to the game.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But there is no need for it. It adds variety, but for what reason? Everything worth while suggested is already covered by the current system. It adds nothing to the game.
    There wasn't a need for force fields, either. What's your point? This is a game about creativity, or so I've heard. More blocks = more creativity.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There wasn't a need for force fields, either. What's your point? This is a game about creativity, or so I've heard. More blocks = more creativity.
    There's a difference between a few decorative blocks and a massive amount of new mechanics that don't really amount to anything different from everything we already have.

Reaction score
    Redundancy =/= creativity

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I fail to see how it is redundant. It's more ways to build your ship. I don't see how that is bad...? Why is more mechanics a bad thing?
    think of work as a resource; new mechanics are WAY more work than a few new blocks that are just other already existing blocks with a new skin, the work~outcome ratio isn't as high, however, this argument is only given strength by the "redundancy" of the outcome, which would be a way to propel one's ship, which obviously already exists.
    Weither or not that stops schema is another question though, a question which I cannot answer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    While I can agree with the OP notion of more methods of propulsion, I can't really get behind any of the ones you've suggested. They're mostly just warp analogs with different construction methods, and some too specific in their construction methods at the same time.

What about something slightly different in the form of more impulse engine types? Like Ion Engines with an exponential acceleration curve (slow to start, gains speed considerably as long as you hold down the directional keys), Solar Sails (acceleration curve as well since they work like that, but the closer to a star you are the less energy is tapped for your energy banks, need to be exposed to operate (makes sense and hey it needs some cons)), or some other kinds of technology.

The dimensional shift thing sounds okay too actually. I think something like that is supposed to be in development though. Where you warp and can control the direction of your ship manually at the same time.

Reaction score
    I fail to see how it is redundant. It's more ways to build your ship. I don't see how that is bad...? Why is more mechanics a bad thing?
    Engine 1 is functionally the same as engine 2. So why have both? Its redundant.

Everything you suggested is more or less covered by the current systems we have in place making anything else, redundant.

And before you mention colored armor hulls, the colors are important for aesthetic customization, which is a large premise of the game. How the ships move is not.

More mechanics for the sake of more mechanics are always bad mechanics. More mechanics that fill a void and serve a purpose are good mechanics.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Alright guys, I see your points. What I am not clear on is whether you all dislike my ideas of propulsion, or just dislike the idea of more methods of propulsion in general.

Reaction score
    i just don't think we need more propulsion systems right now. the jump distance is configurable, as is the top speed.
    Let's also not forget that we have warpgates.
    Warpgates is the equivalent to fast travel, while jump drives are vehicles/riding animals and thrusters = walking.