more info on the "missing chunks" error and possibly a solution, with replicated results on multiple

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i have been having problems with the "missing chunk" glitch, for those of you who don't know what i am talking about, after a server is restarted players maybe missing a chunk of their ship, here is an example

so i decided to find out what was wrong and how to fix it,

-i needed to replicate the results to validate my findings so i used multiple computers:

*system 1 (laptop) x64

-Lenovo b570

-i5 2.40ghz turbo 3.00 ghz

-8gb DDR 3

-samsung 840 ssd 120gb

-nVidia GeForce 410M

-windows 7

*system 2 (laptop) x64

-Compaq Presario CQ56

-2.4 GHz AMD V-Series V160

-4 GB DDR3

-500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

-windows xp

*system 3 (laptop) x64

-acer aspire 5542

-amd athlon ii 2.0 ghz

-2GB DDR 2

-250 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

-windows xp & windows 7

*system 4 (laptop) x64

-Lenovo b570

-i3 2.30ghz

-4gb DDR 3

-500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

-intel hd 3000

-windows xp

*system 5 (pc) x64

-custom build

-AMD Athlon II 3.4GHz

-8gb DDR 3

-1 tb sata (7400 rpm)

-Radeon HD 7770 (1 gb)

-windows 7

*Note: all systems had the latest drivers

each computer was tested 10 times to check for errors, the test included loading a ship (each computer had a different ship, each roughly the same size) and restarting the server after 5 minutes. here were the results:

*system 1 error occurred 4 times

*system 2 error occurred 3 times

*system 3 error occurred 6 times

*system 4 error occurred 5 times

*system 5 error occurred 7 times

-the error occurred a total of 25 times out of 50, across 6 different computers

i then began to do some experiments on how to solve the problem in game, and i noticed something weird, when i started to build a large ship (a battlestar) i saved the ship 3 times to my catalog as i was building it, and when it came time to restart the server for testing i noticed that some chunks were missing while others had reverted to an earlier "stage" in the building process, then i decided try and figure out what was going on and i came to the conclusion that the chunks were not missing but had reverted to an earlier point in time when there was nothing in that chunk, i repeated the test with each of the 3 stages, here are the results each stage has been changed some parts were reverted to an earlier stage and some to a higher stage, even with the changes to the ship the price of each stage stayed the same in the catalog.

-Note: even though the end result looks the same they are slightly different

-i decided to origionize all my info and i came up with this:

*larger the ship the more likelyhood of an error occuring

*ships with turrets are 80% less likely to have an error occurring

*low end pc hardware does not have an impact on the likelyhood of an error occurring

*ships with damaged are 78% less likely to have an error occurr in the area with damage

i havent found an "anwser" to the problem but i can say this; if you have a large ship i would reccomend that you damage a block here and there in areas that would be anoying to rebuild. Changing the auto save to ever 30 seconds insted of every 300 seconds (in the server.cfg) this may help some people.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have not been building lately, and perhaps I will not until this glitch is worked out....I don\'t wanna lose parts of some of my WIP ships and such.