More hull colors

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is probably a waste of time, money, and resources. I ran into a problem with designing an exterior for one of my projects, and I needed a block that was lighter than black, but darker than gray. So basically I am suggesting "dark gray" hull. That's about it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Try different hull/armor types. The 3 strengths have slightly different shades.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There's a limit of 1024 blocks. There's currently somewhere around 650 used up, and 250 were planned to be reserved for mods, which leaves us with about 100 IDs, plus some IDs left over from removed features. Keep this in mind when making a suggestion that would require a large number of blocks to be added.

Anyway, I don't really see a need for it, because the different tiers of armor are already different shades.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Anyway, I don't really see a need for it, because the different tiers of armor are already different shades.
    Now, let's leave out the problem of block IDs for a minute.

I don't get enough satisfaction using the armor tiers because the difference is minimal and the texture itself sometimes clashes with the other tiers, depending on your texture pack. Realistic advanced armor looks god awful if you're going for solid colors.

In practice, I think all but the absolute pickiest would be satisfied with light and dark variants of each color so you can have entire sections have the variance in a single base color. I'd kill for light brown and dark brown blocks to do desert camo armor, and shockingly enough I also have a few ships I've wanted to try building but can't because pink blocks don't even exist. Red is a bad substitute like yellow was before we got orange blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    While I agree that more colors would be great, and different grades of hull don't really mix very well, Lecic is right, we have a finite number of blocks left, and this probably isn't the best use of them.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, there are a lot of IDs put aside for modded blocks, a mod pack which adds in new colours and shades would be nice for this.

Virid pointed out that there is a lot of shades that would be nice, but we don't have the IDs for all of them, and just picking a few here and there doesn't seem right to me. I'd rather new colours in vanilla be a new colour entirely, not just a shade.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    ...depending on your texture pack. Realistic advanced armor looks god awful if you're going for solid colors.
    Nobody should be using this texture pack. It's not shipped with the game anymore and it's wildly out of date. By months of developments, about 30 blocks and multiple texture reassignments. Half of the blocks are shown incorrectly or not at all.

I can't stress this enough. It's game breaking.

(Back on topic ^^')

To add a new colour into our roster for all hull types would consume 20 ID's. It's not that bad. However we're relatively early in dev, so using these ID's for a darker shade of an existing colour seems superfluous considering the amount of features we'd like / have requested.

I would be willing to create these extra shades for the Default texture pack for servers to upload Custom Blocks. As CyberTao has mentioned, this is exactly what the custom sheets are for.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd rather new colours in vanilla be a new colour entirely, not just a shade.
    Nobody should be using this texture pack. It's not shipped with the game anymore and it's wildly out of date. By months of developments, about 30 blocks and multiple texture reassignments. Half of the blocks are shown incorrectly or not at all.

I can't stress this enough. It's game breaking.
    Wow I didn't even know you guys stopped support for it.

If you guys ever do add a new color, make it pink. Real men fly pink ships.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Wow I didn't even know you guys stopped support for it.

If you guys ever do add a new color, make it pink. Real men fly pink ships.
    Yea, unfortunately we don't have much of a platform that will tell the users this in a 100% fool proof way. We can't delete the files from your PC, we issued a news post iirc, i mentioned it in the forums where i can. But other than that it's just hoping people realise... :/

We could push an update with completely blank textures to force users to change, but this seems unfair if they use them for modding projects or have edited them for personal use.

If you're playing on a server you could request them put in to an updated blockconfig? Like i say, i'm happy to give "official textures" for it.
    Hell... i might just make an extended colour pack myself and upload in the mod section. Shouldn't take too long.

Reactions: CyberTao

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    and shockingly enough I also have a few ships I've wanted to try building but can't because pink blocks don't even exist. Red is a bad substitute like yellow was before we got orange blocks.
    Pink armor would be fantastic. As long as it isn't an obnoxious shade of pink.

Reactions: CaptainTaz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why not just add the color picker and hit two birds with one stone? You will save tons of space because you will need only single type of the armor and everyone can choose their own favourite color?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Why not just add the color picker and hit two birds with one stone? You will save tons of space because you will need only single type of the armor and everyone can choose their own favourite color?
    That has to do with block byte size I believe. Right now, colours are just assigned from a texture based on the block ID, if you were to make it so you could change the block's colour, it would have to be in the data values I believe. I know we probably won't ever get RBG colour selection, but those topics are too old and I dunno where to find the threads.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I wonder if there is a way to "trick" the game into allowing more hull colors without needing the extra ids much in the same way minecraft handled their ID limit. From what I understand Minecraft used the damage value of blocks as a sub id which would essentially just allow the game to have different textures on a block type. I know the damage bits are all used, because well blocks in starmade can actually be damaged, but is there any information free in the block data values that could be used to indicate "This is a darker shade" or "This is a lighter shade"?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    wasn't there an Idea that would give us hundreds more IDs? Personally, I'd like to see some more neon colors like bright orange, neon green, and cyan.