Suggestion More filtering options for Community Content

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Just wondering if we could a "Tag" system for Community content, similar to steam's listing for games. Just different player chosen tags to help sort stuff, like PvP, RP, interior, Mass classes (just 0-500, 501-1000, cause sometimes you just want small ships), carrier, drones. It's hard to look for a specific ship if you cant even locate it on the vast sea of uploaded content.

Reactions: Keptick

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Just wondering if we could a "Tag" system for Community content, similar to steam's listing for games. Just different player chosen tags to help sort stuff, like PvP, RP, interior, Mass classes (just 0-500, 501-1000, cause sometimes you just want small ships), carrier, drones. It's hard to look for a specific ship if you cant even locate it on the vast sea of uploaded content.
    I've actually been thinking about this recently, I'm just stuck on what the tags would be. It would have to be manual tags, as automated ones would take forever to get out, we might not see them until the next year....

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've actually been thinking about this recently, I'm just stuck on what the tags would be. It would have to be manual tags, as automated ones would take forever to get out, we might not see them until the next year....
    Manual tags would work fine, so long as false tags can be removed via some system. I suppose coming up with tags could be complicated, could always start a poll/thread asking the community what kinds of tags they would like.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Manual tags would work fine, so long as false tags can be removed via some system. I suppose coming up with tags could be complicated, could always start a poll/thread asking the community what kinds of tags they would like.
    Yep.

False tags? What do you mean. We can definitely start a thread/poll asking the community, if you want to do that, that's awesome. If not i'll try and get one done when my schedule frees up.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    False tags? What do you mean
    I mean that if tags are to be assigned by the uploader, we'd need a way to remove tags that do not belong. I.e., someone tagging their ships with all tags to get more attention. May or may not be relevant depending on the tags chosen.

I personally don't think I have the influence/wording ability to pull off a community poll without it going stagnant after the first day or so. I can ask around chat tomorrow and see if someone else wouldn't mind doing it though, think I might know a few people who can summon a mob for input.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I mean that if tags are to be assigned by the uploader, we'd need a way to remove tags that do not belong. I.e., someone tagging their ships with all tags to get more attention. May or may not be relevant depending on the tags chosen.
    Gotcha, the report function will be handy for that. Moderators will have the power to remove tags if they do not apply.

I can ask around chat tomorrow and see if someone else wouldn't mind doing it though, think I might know a few people who can summon a mob for input.
    Thanks, that will be fantastic.

Reactions: NuclearFun

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I really like the idea. I've heard on multiple occasions that the top rated ships had "shit systems". While it certainly is true for some of them, most of those ships are designed for roleplay with massive interiors.

Having tags would help identify what is what, kinda like Thalanor 's awesome slider system.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Tags are fine, but can only do so much being true/false flags. I do recommend to be able to set (either as the sole feature or additionally) slider positions for a roleplay<-->functional slider, and a multirole<-->specialized one (thanks kep). Check out my CC ships to see the implementaiton.
    I have found that having these two continuous sliders will let you describe a ship very well beyond mass and numbers, and providing this information to a downloader would prevent disappointments. After all, these two "dimensions" are not quality-ratings, but choices made during engineering - and the more specialized a ship is in a direction you cannot make much use of, the more likely you are better off downloading another.

wat

Reaction score
    Was just thinking about doing something a little more automated in this vein. Cloning all the ships on the community content site, and extracting some info like size, mass, colors, weapon systems, etc.... I'm a bit hesitant though just because I don't like the idea of having tons of individual websites you have to go to, and would prefer to keep everything located in the same place.

As for manual tags I think that's a great idea to see included. The problem of "false tags" can be taken care of fairly easily through a combined system of community flagging, moderation, and some simple machine learning spam flagging stuff.