Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I've heard it said that around 40-60% of video game players, actual games, not just iphone games or whatever, are female, but a large majority of them stay quiet or pretend to be male because there are quite a few guys who harass female players (ie "go make me a sammich" "you're probably just a fake girl gamer" "get back into the kitchen where you belong")

Reaction score
    The current statistic is between 43-48% as a whole, meaning including smartphone games. The demographic for the more involved games is much lower. The mobile market has skewed the statistics away from the core gamers that play more involved games rather then angry birds and candy crush. If you look at it from a "per-title" basis of the top games, you get a better idea of what the demographic really is.

According to this:
    http://www.esrb.org/about/video-game-industry-statistics.jsp

In 2010, looking at consoles only, 80% of females played on the Wii.

While there are female gamers out there, the majority of them are not playing the same games males are. So to look at every game and say that the female demographic is ~45% is highly inaccurate.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    When the OSG returns there will be active recruiting of both sexes, I guarantee it. There are important positions that need to be filled and I see no purpose in filling them with only males.
    @AnnaShade017 I hope you will consider becoming the official outfitter for the OSG. Your work is splendid.

Reaction score
    I've heard it said that around 40-60% of video game players, actual games, not just iphone games or whatever, are female, but a large majority of them stay quiet or pretend to be male because there are quite a few guys who harass female players (ie "go make me a sammich" "you're probably just a fake girl gamer" "get back into the kitchen where you belong")
    I always put that 'make me a sammch' shit online was just the equivalent of 12 year old grade trolling, for example a guy might 'shagged ur mam lel' yes it is stupid and yes this does not justify it but some people on the net have this feeling that they can say what they want.

Now, when they start following the girl into different games and trying to make her rage because she's female...that's pure dickery.

Even worse? Whenever you reveal yourself as female in a game you get a few creepers who swear to defend m'lady from being shot by the evil other guys and oh god please acknowledge my existence you're the first girl I've talked to who hasn't run away. It's patronising and creepy.

Anyway, we need female skins and that in game.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We need female skins, we need male and we need androgynous.

Somewhat androgynous or "young child" skins are perfect for male which don't want often too common harsh/brutal male skins and also perfect for female members which like to be anonymous and not be treated as a cute display item or preferred just because of their gender/player-skin.

I believe that in future we will modify our bodies (assuming we didn't died to a 3rd world war or lost our technology to some EMP-emitting sunburst) to look how we like them to look.
    And many human will decide to get rid of their body hair, too aggressive or too cute looking body parts, maybe even freezing themselves in permanent young looking [synthetic/cloned] skin once this is viable and cheap enough.​

In some Sci-Fi book I read humans manipulated DNA and let themselves grow trails, 2 more arms, the latest hair styles with feathers ...

We are too conservative for the future :p

Reaction score
    We need female skins, we need male and we need androgynous.

Somewhat androgynous or "young child" skins are perfect for male which don't want often too common harsh/brutal male skins and also perfect for female members which like to be anonymous and not be treated as a cute display item or preferred just because of their gender/player-skin.

I believe that in future we will modify our bodies (assuming we didn't died to a 3rd world war or lost our technology to some EMP-emitting sunburst) to look how we like them to look.
    And many human will decide to get rid of their body hair, too aggressive or too cute looking body parts, maybe even freezing themselves in permanent young looking [synthetic/cloned] skin once this is viable and cheap enough.​

In some Sci-Fi book I read humans manipulated DNA and let themselves grow trails, 2 more arms, the latest hair styles with feathers ...

We are too conservative for the future :p
    That kinda scares me, with the body mod thing. I never liked the body modding culture and I hate the whole 'men shaving themselves because it's too aggressive' stuff. But that was due to how I was raised. (long story.)

There was a program on a while back where robotics had advanced to the point of people simply controlling 'perfect', uncanny valley avatars. It was a shit program but it did make you think. The society in which the program was set in just got creepier due to how flawless the avatars were.

Anyway, back on track. You could take the Borderlands route, a guy, a gal, and some kind of masked robot-thing for those who'd prefer to stay ambiguous. Lots of people choose to have a masked man kind of character for that reason.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I heard of one girl which grow up in some religious family which wish they would have had a buy as the first child and if left alone with such believes, she would hate herself for being a woman.

I also heard about a boy which was isolated in his youth, never experienced what it means to be a man (emotional+body part) as intense as others (by having a dad, older friends / brothers-of friends or older school-mates.
    He grow up with neither a especially good or bad feeling about his body, but felt in the wrong body when his body changed to an adult one.

Many religions or society forms force a significant share of peoples to envy the other sex.

You need to like what you will get later in your life (at least as a youth) or you have a chance to get unhappy and isolated.
    • Where I life, girls and woman have a much greater choice of colors/designs and length of clothes which would all look wrong in place on maybe not always boys, but man - at least we get suggested this over and over again until we are -more or less dependent on indiviuals- formed.
    • For too long time, woman are allowed to speak about problems man get told to feel blamed for talking about them, while man have had the choice of choosing their work/job type.
    One woman from my relatives was discouraged from working as medical assistant, although not as bad/strict as in other parts of the world, young girls from past generations often had not as much self-confidence to resist the common expectancy.

I think the issue in games is not just sex, but also about black/white, Asian/European/American/Russian/... -> the peoples which produce big famous games (games we play in this part of the world) are often very similar in how they skin characters.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    One may not please every-one.
    Saw a nice looking skin, but didn't like the goggles.

Some ideas:

Containing display-LEDs for a digital overlay (HUD)

Reaction score
    This is an old thread I am necrotizing after doing some searches for female skins. I really admire Anna's work! Are you still around Anna? Are you still making female skins?

I'm a female gamer new to StarMade and searching for some good female skins that are up to date with the newer game (compatible). I don't really want a 'themed' skin from another game - I never really liked people using names and roleplay concepts from other games in a different one, it seemed cheesy to me - be creative and come up with original content for a new world, I say! I do love your steampunk themed girl and will try her out if I can get the files to work - newbie to StarMade, but familiar with how skins in Minecraft work.

Thanks for representing the female populace in StarMade Anna!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is an old thread I am necrotizing after doing some searches for female skins. I really admire Anna's work! Are you still around Anna? Are you still making female skins?

I'm a female gamer new to StarMade and searching for some good female skins that are up to date with the newer game (compatible). I don't really want a 'themed' skin from another game - I never really liked people using names and roleplay concepts from other games in a different one, it seemed cheesy to me - be creative and come up with original content for a new world, I say! I do love your steampunk themed girl and will try her out if I can get the files to work - newbie to StarMade, but familiar with how skins in Minecraft work.

Thanks for representing the female populace in StarMade Anna!
    Nice to meet you, and hope you're enjoying StarMade so far! I love how I somehow managed to turn this into an AnnaShade appreciation thread, despite not being the op or a female gamer.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Yes, I'm still around and still making female skins (most recent female skin posted yesterday HERE ). I went on a bit of a hiatus for a while, but I'm working on getting back into skinning. So you can expect to see more skins from me over time.

Also, welcome to StarMade, Envie! I appreciate your kind words, thank you!

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    This thread is SUPER old. I'm gonna lock it but please feel free to make a new thread and link to this one whenever needed.
    Anna recently made a Lily skin that has very impressive shading. You can find it in the community content section.

Status
    Not open for further replies.