More bugfixes (0.103)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

More fixes for the prebuild. These are 90% of the bug reports coming in.

I'm still hunting one specific bug triggering a crash when using advanced build mode. I put in some extra checks, since this crash requires active checking (the bug causing operation is not crashing when it happens but at the time I actively check for teh bug so I have to find out the exact operation first to fix it, and for that I depend on testing since the bug doesn't happen on my machine)

The procedural backgrounds are now sped up to be as fast as regular backgrounds. They do require framebuffer now though (system will automatically check and try to use it if procedural backgrounds are turned on, and should revert to normal skybox background otherwise)

I calculated the seed of the background by 16x16x16-sector star system, so each system now has a unique feel to it, and it will persistent throughout a universe (until the universe is reset), the background will blend to black and change at the borders of a system.

- fixed crash on loading shop AI skin (NullPointer)
    - inserted more tests to find a specific bug causing a gl exception
    - switched to regular textures for better compression and mipmap handling (some graphics card threw OUT_OF_MEMORY, despite having plenty on using compressed texture arrays)
    - decreased texture size of ultra quality shadows (not noticable, but cuts memory consumption in half)
    - implemented adapting procedural backgrounds in different qualities (resolution. Please note that some graphics cards don't support 4096)

Please be especially careful with this pre-build if you plan to use it on a server, and even in singleplayer please make sure you backup your database before you use this build. Also please don't use this build to work on big projects, as i can't guarantee the data generated by the pre-build to be 100% error free, because a database migration has to be done from the old version.

You can download the build here: http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20140209_132901.zip

(The username and password is "dev")

This version will be installed on play.star-made.org:4242 to test.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A little teaser for this update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pveUUGMPQ8&list=UUZmTyHw8T7LeITRFE3QME4g&feature=c4-overview

Reaction score
    the cold gravitizer is a bunch of sections floating, witll it be affeted?

http://i.imgur.com/BKFdXjH.png

Reaction score
    Those backgrounds are amazing! They take up surprisingly little resources as well.

Is there anything else you\'re working on or is it just bugs before release?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    firstly, this option of falloff is toggleable, second, if a block is \"separated\" by anything else other than amcs it\'ll still stay put like before. So if I were to mine away the last block holding a part of a ship it would stay put, but if i were to shoot that last block with an amc however, it would make that enitre section float off.

Reaction score
    How long does it normally take for the test server to be updated? It\'s been down for hours but just came back up, but sadly still with the 1.02 version.

Reaction score
    A copple weeks ago i noticed on one of schemas videos it presented Black Holes.

So the question, Was the Idea Dropped,is it still Planed or you simply dont like to confirm spoilers?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Help? Right now im like : *installs* *opens launcher* *doesent work* ~http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-flip-table.gif

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just tried out the new test build and I thought I\'d report a bug I found. When I fly a ship with a turret docked to it, the turret jitters around like it\'s gonna come off. As long as turrets stay attached it\'s only an asthetic bug I suppose.

The NPCs are great and add a bit of company to the game. The procedural backgrounds are definitly.....interesting, I\'ll have to get accustom to them. Great work !

Reaction score
    Woah! (censored) THATS GREEN! My eyes! oh....its green...thats kinda cool... (Procedes to make area home sector because it looks quite awesome)