More Advanced Build Functions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'll keep it simple, I think the game could use more glorious advanced build features.

Primitives: Preset basic shapes with user defined dimensions. Toggle switch for a hollow primitive. Allow for use in remove mode. Use the method currently in advanced build for multiple blocks placed/removed at once.
    • Square/Cube (which we basically already have, just fold it into the overall catalog)
    • Circle/Ellipse/Cylinder
    • Sphere/Ellipsoid
    Line Completion: Use Bresenham's Line Algorithm to complete a straight line between two selected points. Requires two blocks, the endpoint cannot be in free space. Let there be an option for thin lines (blocks that touch as little as possible) and thick (all blocks are neighbored by at least one other block on some side).

Undo/Redo: Last block(s) placed.

Copy/Paste: After selecting function, select initial corner block, draw a selection with a cube/rectangle. Paste is done in the same way as primitives and for instance a 10x10x10 cube currently.

Measure: Measures the distance between two blocks selected by the user. The current l/h/w in ship stats is great, but the same method could be put to even more use.

For all functions, let there be a serverside setting max dimensions allowed for all functions, and number of undo/redo saved in memory. I understand it can be a feature to be abused. Max dimensions for default I'd recommend to be set at 50 blocks, which is very reasonable. Having the choice here is imperative in my mind between the singleplayer builder who just wants to get his project done with very long segments, and the server admin who doesn't want players abusing it in some way.

Using primitives and line completion, you can pretty much make just about any shape fairly easily without having a ton of redundant shapes in primitives. All this will let players spend less time counting and planning, are more time building and playing Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The undo function should be a property of the client, which should note which blocks actually got placed/removed with each click.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I really need this, especially ellipsoids. Making them manually is a pain in the bottom.
    Max dimensions for default I'd recommend to be set at 50 blocks, which is very reasonable.
    Lol, not for me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Lol, not for me.
    Too small? I came to the conclusion of 50 because I figure most people stop at 1000m. 20 clicks isn't nearly as bad as 100 currently, but to have 100m at a time might not be liked as the default. But hey, that's why I'd like server options. I'd personally want no limits.

Also diagonal line options plz.
    That's what I suggest with Line Completion. I'm not sure if you mean a 2d or 3d diagonal line, but 3d lines are basically just calculating two lines.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Too small? I came to the conclusion of 50 because I figure most people stop at 1000m. 20 clicks isn't nearly as bad as 100 currently, but to have 100m at a time might not be liked as the default.
    I was thinking about ellipsoids >50m.

Reaction score
    I would love for larger dimensions. Every time I try to make large ships, I get lazy because of the 10x10x10 limit. This is why my largest functional ship to date is like 64m long. I've even made x3 versions of it just to mess around with larger ships, but I've yet to make one functional.