Monorail - Concept (working)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm sure a lot of people have already tried this but I was unable to find anything regarding actual monorails when googling it, sooo.. I created this concept of mine of a suspended Monorail.

I was building a highway with my brother the other day and decided to try out a Monorail, which turned out to work rather nicely in Zero-G. However, I was not satisfied! I wanted more! So, I found myself a planet and created this Suspended Monorail you see in the picture. The one I created in Zero-G was not suspended, but it works with gravity as well. So yeah, this is basically a concept I would like to make more advanced in the future when Schema decides to implement the ground-vehicle stuff.

As of right now; Update Pre-Build 0.93975, there are no options to create land-based vehicles so I'm relying solely on a shipcore here which can at times be a bit buggy if driven along a surface or rails, but so far it's working with only minor collision glitches on slopes and turns if you happen to tilt/turn too soon.

The rail itself is 4 blocks wide on straight parts as well as on slopes/hills. The cart itself is 2 blocks long (I'll get into detail on why later) and 7 blocks wide. It has got 1 power block and 2 thrusters, for that extra acceleration and easier driving. If it goes too fast however, it bugs out completely.

The reason behind the 2 block length is simple; too long and the turning wouldn't work nor would the tilting on hills. So, I made it shorter. And since Monorails are mainly used for public transportation this only makes it easier. In order to transport someone in Starmade right now (Prebuild 0.93975) you need to be able to plug everyone to the same ship, otherwise the game would think that you're stuck and auto-teleport you. In order to do so you add weapon computers - but you don't need any weapons.

How does this work, you might ask? Simple; hook your character up to the computer and you're done. Now one person is driving the vessel and the other is chillin' in the computer enjoying the ride. What's neat about this though is that it works in build-mode as well. You can be several people in buildmode on the same ship at the same time using this little "method".

Anyway, this is my Monorail concept. Hope you like it!

Cheers