Planned Monitor wedge

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yes, this has been discussed before and even tested in game. :)

Unfortunately the answer remains the same. While it is a really great idea, the current way rotations are handled will prevent us assigning a single texture to the sloped face on a wedge permanently. Making it almost useless unless the block is placed in only one orientation.

This is something i really hope to see changed in the future to allow wedged computers, screens and more interesting wedge designs.

Consider it a wanted feature and tentatively planned.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What about sloped display blocks? Both a version with the display on the angled surface and with it on one of the square surfaces.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

Unfortunately the answer remains the same. While it is a really great idea, the current way rotations are handled will prevent us assigning a single texture to the sloped face on a wedge permanently. Making it almost useless unless the block is placed in only one orientation.

This is something i really hope to see changed in the future to allow wedged computers, screens and more interesting wedge designs.

actually, I disagree on it being useless. I've wanted several times a wedge with a monitor texture on the top face to be used as a desk for things like helms. It would allow an actual display infront of seats. For the first implementation, you could just do 2 different versions of the block, with just remapped textures, one with the monitor on the bottom, and one with it on the top :)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    actually, I disagree on it being useless. I've wanted several times a wedge with a monitor texture on the top face to be used as a desk for things like helms. It would allow an actual display infront of seats. For the first implementation, you could just do 2 different versions of the block, with just remapped textures, one with the monitor on the bottom, and one with it on the top :)
    almost useless
    ;)

This is putting something mostly broken into the game and calling it a situational feature. I have no intentions of doing that, sorry.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    ;)

This is putting something mostly broken into the game and calling it a situational feature. I have no intentions of doing that, sorry.
    Because there isn't a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of that in the game, is there? :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Because there isn't a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of that in the game, is there? :p
    Can't argue with that logic. Let's put it in!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Not sure if the issue is that you can't have different textures on the square faces, or the fact that stuff would have to be upright. What about if you had a 'keyboard' looking thing on one side, then something innocuous and not 'obviously' a single way up, like on those server decorative blocks. If having a thing that looks decorative, but isn't targeted for an obvious way of facing, I think it could work.

I challenge people to mock up suggestions and post them here. :) Don't come to the devs with problems, come to them with solutions... :) Kupu can then make your best suggestions sexy. :D

Reactions: Nexusdog
    Reaction score

Okay, how's this for a cheat?

The rail blocks which rotate 45 degrees; same mechanics but applied to monitors and ship systems. Activated & locked in place via button as per current situation.

Place monitor, link to button, activate button, monitor/ship system block rotates 45 degrees giving us our funky layout?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I prefer that before changing displays, fix the problem that exists when you copy & paste the displays, because you always lose what they have written ...

then, as already they discussed my playmates, to have the display with different options to place ( slopes and wedges ), would do well to interior design

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Okay, how's this for a cheat?

The rail blocks which rotate 45 degrees; same mechanics but applied to monitors and ship systems. Activated & locked in place via button as per current situation.

Place monitor, link to button, activate button, monitor/ship system block rotates 45 degrees giving us our funky layout?
    Not how it works; rail stuff can only turn because it's a separate entity.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1457644356,1457644310][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Not sure if the issue is that you can't have different textures on the square faces, or the fact that stuff would have to be upright. What about if you had a 'keyboard' looking thing on one side, then something innocuous and not 'obviously' a single way up, like on those server decorative blocks. If having a thing that looks decorative, but isn't targeted for an obvious way of facing, I think it could work.

I challenge people to mock up suggestions and post them here. :) Don't come to the devs with problems, come to them with solutions... :) Kupu can then make your best suggestions sexy. :D
    The problem is that if you rotate the block the textures don't end up on the right face. We just have to wait for Schema to fix the texture mapping, not come up with strange 'solutions' that don't fix the main problem.

Reaction score
    The problem is that if you rotate the block the textures don't end up on the right face. We just have to wait for Schema to fix the texture mapping, not come up with strange 'solutions' that don't fix the main problem.
    Okay, putting aside the issue of the text on monitors, and going back to my original suggestion, this was more inclined to cater for decoration primarily. It would be great if it were possible to have modules, computers, scanners, etc, rotated as well obviously. I guess that's possible using rail rotators though?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Personally, I think a display block slab and a keyboard slab would be better.

Reactions: Andem

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I suggest a new tag for the display block, maybe named "<projection>". This takes the video overlay and uses GL projection to move it from the display block, in the direction the display block is facing, and paints a mirrored copy of the display overlay on whatever surface is across an open space from the display block.

How the display block looks normally:
    display_regular1.png

Display block "projected" against a flat white armor wall:
    display_projected1.png

Display block "projected" against a wedge with the narrow edge oriented down:
    display_projected2.png

Display block "projected" against a wedge with the narrow edge oriented stage front:
    display_projected3.png

This kind of "projecting" solution would solve which way the text looks, regardless of the orientation of the wedge. Plus, it would allow you to put the display output on any surface you choose. It will not require any new blocks, and will keep the original display block as the source of this solution, so any enhancements and changes to the display block will propagate to this solution. Plus, projecting the texture like this should work on absolutely any shape the builder desires.

Unfortunately, if the builder makes a single surface out of a hepta and tetra together, only the closest block (typically the tetra) will get the display projection, which would be kinda weird, but it would be a necessary bug of this solution. (Maybe a future bug fix could search for this particular situation and double-project the display texture so that it shows up on both blocks, just like a real projector would.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I was thinking of this for wedges providing decoration, rather than display module text.

For display module text, try the floating text trick. Place a monitor, press space many times before your text, and then it floats a few blocks away.

If, a few blocks away, you happen to have a wedge, a slab or a forcefield, it might look cool... someone want to try that, as I've just logged off... :)