Modular ships

Would you like to see more of this modular ship design?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Modulariaty has always been something that I personally really want. All that's "needed" is shared thrust, power (although there are docked reactors currently, there aren't shared capacitors), shields (going all up and down a chain), and access to connected weapons (prob. excluding turrets). We can see that sharing is possible with shields and power, so it's possible for the rest to fall into place. The idea behind a unique block isn't really needed, the systems are all in place, and I'm not too concerned about mobile bases yet

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've been testing some auto-replacing armor, fun stuff, just need to have a few base systems of different scales with modules for each scale. Also, having things flush is a bitch.

prototype:

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    Yo creo que con el nuevo sistema shipyard, ahora las naves modulares an dejado de ser un tanto necesarias, lo que ahora hay que construir son estaciones espaciales modulares, ya que solo una es protegida de los daños, y las estaciones serian puntos de defensa, los cuales serían destruidos por los enemigos, pero al ser modulares su reparación seria fácil, sabiendo usar los sistemas de lógica y los rieles, seria casi autoarmable

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yo creo que con el nuevo sistema shipyard, ahora las naves modulares an dejado de ser un tanto necesarias, lo que ahora hay que construir son estaciones espaciales modulares, ya que solo una es protegida de los daños, y las estaciones serian puntos de defensa, los cuales serían destruidos por los enemigos, pero al ser modulares su reparación seria fácil, sabiendo usar los sistemas de lógica y los rieles, seria casi autoarmable
    Parlez vous français?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The problem with that in starmade is that all stations are on one "grid", and are all oriented in the same way. I guess you might need to press c (points the ship north) before changing it. This thread
    I'm going to share one of my favorite exploits with you.
    -Fill a station blueprint
    -get in a ship
    -Point the ship in some arbitrary direction
    -spawn the station blueprint from inside the ship core

::Station is now aligned to "face" whichever way the ship was facing, regardless of which way it "right" according to center

I've been testing some auto-replacing armor, fun stuff, just need to have a few base systems of different scales with modules for each scale. Also, having things flush is a bitch.

prototype:
    Interesting.
    Did you know area triggers clip weapon projectiles? try going shooty on one with the basic 220 shields you gain from adding 1 recharge to a core. Good upper layer to "sink" the first and largest damage tic on a weapon strike for very little mass. Too bad it blocks your own PD too...

I was thinking of doing a bunch of "crawling" hull that goes along an o-track along each side of a ship. Have a wide panel of "mostly" form-fitting area triggers 5-10 M out. "fresh Shields" rotate into outer facing every x seconds and "protect" the deeper ones for out of combat recharge (if they can handle the Alpha). Have you considered something like that for your door-hull? Rather than throw them away, move them through service cycle. I seem to recall you can speed-up the rail movement by never letting your launch rails terminate.

I've also noticed that you can "save some space" by using green-rails and facing the docker into the core -> Core clips through green rail for duration. Just never use "regular" rails in that circuit(or only use them as "stops" you logic-turn into a green later to allow pass-through). I suppose you could "probe" various status of the docked entity and us a reverse version of that same system to use rails themselvvs as a hull structure you turn visible/invisible as a "door".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm going to share one of my favorite exploits with you.
    -Fill a station blueprint
    -get in a ship
    -Point the ship in some arbitrary direction
    -spawn the station blueprint from inside the ship core

::Station is now aligned to "face" whichever way the ship was facing, regardless of which way it "right" according to center

Interesting.
    Did you know area triggers clip weapon projectiles? try going shooty on one with the basic 220 shields you gain from adding 1 recharge to a core. Good upper layer to "sink" the first and largest damage tic on a weapon strike for very little mass. Too bad it blocks your own PD too...

I was thinking of doing a bunch of "crawling" hull that goes along an o-track along each side of a ship. Have a wide panel of "mostly" form-fitting area triggers 5-10 M out. "fresh Shields" rotate into outer facing every x seconds and "protect" the deeper ones for out of combat recharge (if they can handle the Alpha). Have you considered something like that for your door-hull? Rather than throw them away, move them through service cycle. I seem to recall you can speed-up the rail movement by never letting your launch rails terminate.

I've also noticed that you can "save some space" by using green-rails and facing the docker into the core -> Core clips through green rail for duration. Just never use "regular" rails in that circuit(or only use them as "stops" you logic-turn into a green later to allow pass-through). I suppose you could "probe" various status of the docked entity and us a reverse version of that same system to use rails themselvvs as a hull structure you turn visible/invisible as a "door".

I stopped working on it - I think because I got stuck on how to fit corners in. I have an idea as to how to make it happen now but it seemed that the basic function of how shields/armor on docked entities works changes too frequently to dedicate myself to finishing the design.

That being said, surely much has changed and solidified since then. I look forward to maybe seeing "smart hull" in the future somewhere.